NFL Discussion v 42: Mike Holmes is still a can

Status
Not open for further replies.
How rich do you guys want these players to be? The 1st rounders already make more with their first contract than most members on sherdog will in their entire lives.

I like watching football as much as the next guy but pro athletes seem to make more than enough already. Not to mention they blow it all and go bankrupt within a few years.

Now you are encouraging them to go on strike for even more? That should help the already declining viewership I'm sure.

Some owners already have an issue paying players because they have no other revenue outside of their team. Liquid assets aren't just siting there. But yeah, I'm sure doubling the salary cap and fully guaranteeing contracts won't be a problem.

I bet you guys dont feel the same way about wanting to make more at your employer.

I bet you guys dont feel the same way about wanting to make more at your employer.
Why do you think your boss doesn't just pay you and everyone you work with double?

Some owners already have an issue paying players because they have no other revenue outside of their team. Liquid assets aren't just siting there. But yeah, I'm sure doubling the salary cap and fully guaranteeing contracts won't be a problem.
Those poor owners can sell there team if they can't and make at least a billion.

Those poor owners can sell there team if they can't and make at least a billion.
I guess the players can find another sport that pays them millions then.

If you made your boss a ton of money wouldn't you want more?
The owners of my company make significantly more than I do. If they suddenly doubled everyone's salary I doubt I'd have a job much longer.

The owners of my company make significantly more than I do. If they suddenly doubled everyone's salary I doubt I'd have a job much longer.
But you're small time and easily replaceable. If you directly contributed to your company making money you would want more.

But you're small time and easily replaceable. If you directly contributed to your company making money you would want more.
Says the fucking accountant lol.

Says the fucking accountant lol.
lmao @ this tacit concession.

But if you want to go there, In my line of work the more money I make the business the more I get.

lmao @ this tacit concession.

But if you want to go there, In my line of work the more money I make the business the more I get.
The better you perform the more money you make? Almost like any other job?

You're a rough couple of quarters away from the unemployment line. There's nothing about you that's irreplaceable, except your charm, of course.

Last edited:
Should NFL players make more given the revenue generated by the sport?

Yes

Should it be factored with the size of teams' rosters and the inherent injury concerns of the sport?

Yes

Its not an easy problem.

Funny that nobody has mentioned the cheerleaders. They literally lead the cheers in the stadium and they get nothing. They have a similar shelf life as well. Fucking disgraceful.

Should NFL players make more given the revenue generated by the sport?

Yes

Should it be factored with the size of teams' rosters and the inherent injury concerns of the sport?

Yes

Its not an easy problem.
Not at all. I'd be behind more in guarantees, definitely. Jacking up the cap isn't a feasible solution for most teams.

Not at all. I'd be behind more in guarantees, definitely. Jacking up the cap isn't a feasible solution for most teams.

This sounds like a pretty good solution, but that money still counts against the cap, right? Even if spread out over the course of a contract that means GMs would need to be Affleck-tier savants [The Accountant] if theyre going to operate under the current cap situation

This sounds like a pretty good solution, but that money still counts against the cap, right? Even if spread out over the course of a contract that means GMs would need to be Affleck-tier savants [The Accountant] if theyre going to operate under the current cap situation
I have no idea.

Do guaranteed contracts still count against an NBA team's salary cap when the player isn't on the roster?

If so, I'd guarantee it wouldn't be long before everyone crying about how underpaid NFL players are would change their tune when they're still paying Carr's $150M for the next three seasons after he retires due to feels.

The better you perform the more money you make? Almost like any other job?

You're a rough couple of quarters away from the unemployment line. There's nothing about you that's irreplaceable, except your charm, of course.
I didn't say perform, but regardless are NFL players easily replaceable? They currently receive somewhere between 46-48% of NFL revenue where NBA players receive 50-51%. I'm sure the owners can afford an extra point or two since the rising values of their team certainly makes up for the difference.

I didn't say perform, but regardless are NFL players easily replaceable? They currently receive somewhere between 46-48% of NFL revenue where NBA players receive 50-51%. I'm sure the owners can afford an extra point or two since the rising values of their team certainly makes up for the difference.
I'd be curious to see how that extra 2-3% is spread across a 53 man roster. Do the math, Revo.

The rising team values means dick when it comes to paying players, spending money on facilities, equipment, and all the other overhead unless it's translating into liquid revenue, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back