NFL Discussion v 42: Mike Holmes is still a can

Status
Not open for further replies.
260tnq0.jpg

Can't argue with great reporting like that.

"That fan base just in general can’t handle defeat. Still, to this day, they say that the Dez Bryant catch against the Green Bay Packers was a catch!”

Lol
Well it is a quote from Williams so you can't really argue with the actual reporting in the story. You can question the validity of the statement made though.

Well it is a quote from Williams so you can't really argue with the actual reporting in the story. You can question the validity of the statement made though.
I think it's a valid statement because it's awesome.

Not enough money going to the players. Have you seen the money that basketball and baseball players are getting? Those leagues don't even come close to generating the type of revenue the NFL gets.

Not that I disagree with you, but you are comparing a 53 man roster to a 12(?). NFL cap is almost double the NBAs

Not that I disagree with you, but you are comparing a 53 man roster to a 12(?). NFL cap is almost double the NBAs

In a 1984 interview with the New York Times, Trump said he passed on the Cowboys, who had been bleeding money at the time.

“I could have bought an NFL team,” Trump said. “There were three or four available — that still are available, including, of course, the Dallas Cowboys.

“I could have bought an NFL club for $40 million or $50 million, but it’s established and you would just see it move laterally. Not enough to create there.”

Trump doubled down on his thoughts, describing the Cowboys situation as a guaranteed loss.

“I feel sorry for the poor guy who is going to buy the Dallas Cowboys,” Trump said. “It’s a no-win situation for him, because if he wins, well, so what, they’ve won through the years, and if he loses, which seems likely because they’re having troubles, he’ll be known to the world as a loser.”
http://www.ajc.com/sports/donald-trump-says-passed-buying-dallas-cowboys/HQ3mEJ8b0mwtw3BtBhVb2K/
http://www.ajc.com/sports/donald-trump-says-passed-buying-dallas-cowboys/HQ3mEJ8b0mwtw3BtBhVb2K/
Bum Bright bought the Cowboys in 1984 for $85 million and sold the team to Jerry Jones for $140 million in 1989.

Trumps foray into the USFL was an unmitigated disaster.
1. Trump is widely blamed for the demise of the USFL
Soon after Trump bought the Generals after the USFL's inaugural season, which was played in the spring of 1983, he started pushing his fellow owners to move the league's games to the fall and go head-to-head with the NFL. "If God wanted football in the spring," Trump once said, "he wouldn't have created baseball." After the league's third season, the owners agreed to move to a fall schedule in 1986.

"I think it was a big mistake," said Dr. Ted Diethrich, one of the league's original owners. "When that decision was made, the course for this was charted, and it was going to be a wreck."

Several teams were having financial difficulties at the time, and the league lacked the fall TV contracts that supported the NFL. The USFL instead tried to take on the NFL in the courts by filing an antitrust lawsuit. The hope was that the USFL would either merge with the established league or win a sizable settlement. The merger never happened, and despite winning the lawsuit, the USFL was ultimately awarded only $3 for its troubles. The league soon folded, and Trump's push for the fall schedule and a lawsuit against the NFL is generally cited as the main reason.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/13255737/five-things-know-donald-trump-usfl-experience

The earnings difference makes up for that.

Not enough money going to the players. Have you seen the money that basketball and baseball players are getting? Those leagues don't even come close to generating the type of revenue the NFL gets.

They come nowhere near generating the costs that an NFL team does either. The NBA only has a couple of competitive teams because money can buy talent with their soft cap/luxury tax system. Teams dump talent to be under the cap for a season or two to make another run at it for a couple of years because one or two players can make a team. With only 14 players to pay compared to 53, travel costs much less, arenas cost much less. Teams play 82 games compared to 16.

The NFL television ratings are dropping and it won't be long before it will show up in television contracts but it will still cost the same or more to run the teams. The Packers annual report shows their costs which are likely some of the lowest in the league and they sell out every game. They don't borrow money and some big sponsor/naming rights deals.

You have scrubs in the NBA making 20 million and fully guaranteed contracts. NFL players see this. There will be a strike by the next CBA.

You have scrubs in the NBA making 20 million and fully guaranteed contracts. NFL players see this. There will be a strike by the next CBA.
Eh I don't feel bad for either side. I would much rather that money go towards stadiums instead of residents /the city being the one fucked. Owners are greedy assholes and the players make plenty.

Just because NBA GMs are giving out stupid contracts doesn't mean the NFL should. I don't need backups making 15M because Timothy Mozgaf is

Eh I don't feel bad for either side. I would much rather that money go towards stadiums instead of residents /the city being the one fucked. Owners are greedy assholes and the players make plenty.

Just because NBA GMs are giving out stupid contracts doesn't mean the NFL should. I don't need backups making 15M because Timothy Mozgaf is

+1 to the money being used for stadiums, public money going to those is one of the biggest scams going. Players should still get more though, they're putting a lot more on the line than players in many other sports.

Stadiums are a separate issue and should be the owners problems. You have shit cities that cave in to billionaire owners. The money is there. The players just need to stop being weak and take it to the owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back