My UFC 156 Bets - Post Yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, Hieron is fighting Woodley now? That's a reprieve for him from when Silva was scheduled for his opponent. He deserved a bit of an easier road after the murderer's row he's received from UFC.

I like Hieron to use his movement and counter wrestling to win that fight. It's one thing to be taken down by Askren, another by Woodley. And of course Hieron nearly beat Askren.

Also will probably bet Tibau over Dunham. Tibau is one of the most underrated fighters in the sport, while Dunham is on the overrated side.

BTW, I'm in a pool that I'm leading with a couple cards left. I get 200 from 20 investment if I win. I've got to pick every fight, but I have limited knowledge on a couple of these guys. Can I get more input on Dustin Kimura and Bobby Green?

iwish i was 18 last week. i would have put a lot of money on pettis vs cerrone

20$ on Evans and Overeem to win 10.82$
10.90$ on Evans, Reem and Aldo to win 12.90$

Reading this thread and doing a little research I'm tentative to put more money on Aldo. Edgar is capable of getting the dec with his jabs, moving around and getting some takedowns.

Aldo+overeem+shad to double money.

Edgar is losing

Double money?? Damn where do you get your odds? Mine pays like +120.

I think that's what he means. You start with one dollar, now you have two.

vvv: Bobby Green used to look like a top prospect. Then he lost to Tim Means and has looked pretty mediocre since. I'm pretty confident Volkman can hug is way to a decision here.

Sass is a way better pajama grappler but I guess anything can happen.

Oh, Hieron is fighting Woodley now? That's a reprieve for him from when Silva was scheduled for his opponent. He deserved a bit of an easier road after the murderer's row he's received from UFC.

I like Hieron to use his movement and counter wrestling to win that fight. It's one thing to be taken down by Askren, another by Woodley. And of course Hieron nearly beat Askren.

Also will probably bet Tibau over Dunham. Tibau is one of the most underrated fighters in the sport, while Dunham is on the overrated side.

BTW, I'm in a pool that I'm leading with a couple cards left. I get 200 from 20 investment if I win. I've got to pick every fight, but I have limited knowledge on a couple of these guys. Can I get more input on Dustin Kimura and Bobby Green?
Woodley has a better striking game than Askren though. He also is a very good wrestler himself.

I don't know much about Kimura, but Chico Camus is a Duke Roufus guy iirc and looked good in his debut. Bobby Green is a BJJ guy that is pretty solid, but Volkmann should be able to out wrestle him and avoid subs for the W. Then again a lot of people said that with him against Sass too...

Lil Nog at +350!!!!!!!!!!

Rashad can't take a punch anymore. The guy is on queer street every time he gets tagged and Lil Nog is going to tag him. Rashad will not take Lil Nog down either.

$$$$$$

Rashad can't take a punch anymore. The guy is on queer street every time he gets tagged and Lil Nog is going to tag him. Rashad will not take Lil Nog down either.

$$$$$$

Because he gets rocked every single time? Get real. He has been hurt by Thiago Silva, Rampage, Jones, and finished by Machida. All 4 of them hit hard, Lil Nog got taken down by Jason Brilz. Yes he has good TDD, but it has eventually failed him against wrestlers ala Phil Davis & Ryan Bader.

Rashad can't take a punch anymore.
The guy is on queer street every time he gets tagged and Lil Nog is going to tag him. Rashad will not take Lil Nog down either.

$$$$$$

What makes you say that?

Woodley has a better striking game than Askren though. He also is a very good wrestler himself.

I don't know much about Kimura, but Chico Camus is a Duke Roufus guy iirc and looked good in his debut. Bobby Green is a BJJ guy that is pretty solid, but Volkmann should be able to out wrestle him and avoid subs for the W. Then again a lot of people said that with him against Sass too...

Woodley needs to be a better striker than Hieron in this case to win. It would be a different matter if Hieron stood in front of his opponents, then he'd be more prone to getting taken down in part based on the dangerousness of his opponent's striking. But he's circling to avoid takedowns. Can Woodley match his movement to stop him from getting angles on him? I don't think so. Hieron's the quicker man, unless he's aged rapidly since his last fight.

With Green I was more wondering if he could avoid TD's because I know he's got the better strike game than Volkmann. I don't think Volkmann has to worry too much about Green getting subs from the bottom. Sass has the best bottom sub game in the division for my money.

Bigfoot just doesn't have a clear route to victory against Overeem. He's not taking him down, and he's not outstriking him. The only way he wins is via lucky punch.

Two underdog bets I'm looking at is Frankie Edgar and Bigfoot. Both should be underdogs but hell...not 3-1 dogs. What are your thoughts on these guys?

Well, I do expect Reem to win, but I'm trying to tell everyone who'll listen not to think this is a lock, that Bigfoot is very much a live dog IMO. FFS, Bigfoot is 17-4 for a reason, and 3 of those 4 losses have come at the hands of the HW elite including Werdum, Cain, and Daniel Cormier. The only other loss was a fluke defeat against Eric Pele way back in '06. I remember watching this fight and Bigfoot was in complete control, he was picking Eric apart before getting careless and dropping his hands; Eric came over the top w/ a savage right hand that simply starched the giant. Even still, BF is an elite HW completely capable of pulling off an upset.

Indeed, BF has demonstrated a disconcerting propensity to get hit flush, however, in spite of his penchant for deflecting shots with his monolithic dome, Bigfoot has only been KO'd twice, and while I'm not going to pretend that BF has a Big Country-esque beard, I do believe his jaw has quite a bit more integrity that it gets credit for. I say this b/c the shot that Cormier and Pele landed were pernicious bombs that would have dropped a horse; it's BF's proclivity of getting hit cleanly that is the problem, and with HW's there only needs to be one clean shot.

BF has had some notable victories; he basically won a kickboxing match vs. Arlovski; he absolutely enveloped Fedor with his gargantuan frame and proceeded to bludgeon him in savage fashion until the doctor had seen enough; and he destroyed a very solid Travis Browne. True, none of these fighters are Overeem, but what BF displayed in these three wins was the ability to avoid the kill shot all three of these men possess. What's more, as BF showed w/ Fedor, the man has a ferocious top game, and if he can somehow drag Reem into the late 2nd round where fatigue may become an issue, it is conceivable that he could put Reem on his back. If this happens, the entire complexion of the fight changes. Remember, Alistair has been off for over a year now and may not be in the best of fight shape.

Lastly, when plunking down heavy change on a guy who's sitting at -400 it is wise to know if he can take a punch, and IMO the jury is still out on that inquiry. If you want to know a horse look at it's track record, and Alistair's track record is a bit worrisome since 7 of Reem's 11 losses have came via KO/TKO. While it's true that Alistair hasn't been KO'd in some time, it's also true he hasn't fought many top 10 fighters as of late that could have checked his chin. In fact, the lone two top 10 opponents Reem has faced were Brock and Werdum; unfortunately neither of these fighters are exactly striking savants capable of testing Alistair's jaw in the manner in which Sergei, Shogun and Chuck were able to do and which Bigfoot has the skill-set to do.

In the end I think Reem rolls, but this isn't a pick em' or anything near it. As such, this is too rich for my blood.

Last edited:
Outside of a one-legged Travis Browne, when was the last time Bigfoot caught someone in the stand-up? It's a lot of juice but I'm having a hard time believing Overeem can't win 5 out of 6 fights. The only place where he really has to worry is playing the bottom game with Bigfoot. Can Silva get the fight to the ground?

vvv: Yeah, I forgot about Werdum getting dropped. Fedor was doing okay in the stand-up. It was the second round where Bigfoot dragged him down and went full donkey kong on him.

Last edited:
See, I'm completely the opposite of your viewpoint when it comes to watching MMA and other sports. I've never really understood the view of picking "your fighter" or "your team". Do I have a favorite fighter? Honestly, no. I have fighters that I really enjoy watching due to their style, but I really enjoy interesting matchups more than anything. Even if you are of the mindset of having favorite fighters, just don't bet on their fights. There are a lot of fights on each card.

I alwaz bet aginst the ppl i like cuz then if they loose i dont get sad cuz i get $$$$$

Outside of a one-legged Travis Browne, when was the last time Bigfoot has caught someone in the stand-up? It's a lot of juice but I'm not having a hard time believing Overeem can win 5 out of 6 fights. The only place where he really has to worry is playing the bottom game with Bigfoot. Can Silva get the fight to the ground?

If i remember correctly he dropped Werdum in the first round, but im not sure how long ago that fight was. Then there is also ther Fedor fight.

Here are my thoughts on the Bellator LW tourney pre odds (first Bellator card of the season I project to be particularly interested in from a betting perspective)

Brooks, Michel, Woodard, De Lorenzi

Michel is a kickboxing champ. He has very tight defense and good setups on O. The biggest difference between Sarnavskiy and Michel striking wise is D. Sarnavskiy will stand there in the pocket carelessly with his head in the air. And from distance, they both like that front kick, but Michel's is even tighter. Maybe Sarnavskiy can win by utilizing the wrestling he showed vs. Hervey. But Michel has solid TDD and I thought he beat Weedman who tried to wrestle him. This is the toughest fight to call.

Woodard I like over Rickels, because Cupcake has the wrestling advantage, and on top his gnp is devastating. On the feet, I know Rickels KO'ed Smith, but he hasn't shown a lot of power throughout his career. I think Woodard is the more powerful and aggressive guy, and is sneaky technical.

Tirloni I've been a believer in for a while, but he got a tough draw here. Brooks looks like a budding star. I think he can win the fight wherever it goes, and possibly be Bellator's next Chandler.

And De Lorenzi I like to pull the upset against Patricky, because Patricky can't use his size here, with De Lorenzi being a bullish former ww, he's the smarter fighter, and he has better wrestling.

I'm inclined to think that 3 of those picks will open as dogs, and the other around even, so if I play all 4, and get half right even, I should profit.

I think it's going to be an incredible night of fights in an incredible week of MMA. Can't wait!!

Thank you

posts like this is the reason why Im following these threads

I saw Brooks last fight in dream and he looked really good, Im not sure but I think Rickels didnt look to impressive in his last bellator fight even though he got the win

Last edited:
^ No probs. If you need any more help there's always a lot of regulars ITT with too much time on our hands ;]

Do you read these threads in a random order Goodfella, you're always doing this lol

JKD you ass, I never saw it. But you should know by now that my attention span is about as long as my dick. Here's how it happens, lemme explain my apparent shortcomings: I am usually in my office at work when reading the thread, well, I will see a post I need to respond to and open it, however once opened someone comes in and I have to assist them. Therefore, by the time I get back to the thread a whole other page or two is formed thus putting me way behind. You know ow this thread has exploded. As such, I try to keep up with the conversation by replying to newer posts and then in between going back and getting caught up completely. Do you see how this could get confusing. :redface:

BTW JKD: .....
...this random enough for ya?
FuckYou.gif

:D

Landeskog is out with a super mysterious injury. I took Edmonton Oilers straight up.

good call me too. landy is the key to the avs (along with varlamov obv).

i'm actually gonna do something i practically never do tonight, too:

i'm betting on columbus.

dallas had a 15 hour travel fiasco after their last game and jagr is playing hurt. yes, they have benn back, but who knows how his skating legs will be tonight in his first game.

k so 1u each:
boston
columbus (zomg)
oilers
kings
and u5.5 on phx-nashville. jesus betting all 5 games again, lol. i'll never learn. i'll go 3-2 and break even lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back