My ADD Training Log 2014

I wanted to do a bit more of a write-up on yesterday's tournament.

For starters, this was my 1st "real" jiujitsu tournament. I did an in-house tournament as a white belt, and then another in-house with my school & another school as a blue belt, but this was my 1st "real" external tournament. I don't know why I waited until purple to do this, but I'm glad I finally did.

On Saturday, I signed up for the Purple Belt, 220 lb, Senior II (41-45) bracket. I weed in at 215.5 and felt good. There were 2 of us signed up, but the other guy never showed up. Since I didn't get a match in Saturday, I signed up for the "Open Division", which was Purple Belt, all "Seniors" (age 36+), all weights. 4 guys signed up on Saturday for this division, but only 3 showed on Sunday.

My 1st match was against a guy from the 195 weight class, Senior II bracket. I was doing pretty good warming up, but when we walked out to the mats, I got nervous. Logically, I knew there was nothing to be nervous about, but I still got nervous. When we started, I totally had tunnel vision - it was weird. We worked for judo grips, then he pulled guard & I immediately started to pass with a knee-slide. He turned turtle, and we worked from turtle for most of the match. I couldn't get my hooks in, or get him opened up, but I kept good top pressure & controlled him. With about a minute to go, we scrambled & stood, I immediately grabbed a single & got a leg trip take-down for 2 points. Last 30-seconds I was in his closed guard & won the match 2-0.

I was really winded after this match. Way more than I should have been. Had about a 3 minute break, then the 2nd match. Of course, the guy I fought in the finals, had a bye - so he was completely fresh. In the 2nd match, I gave up an outside trip takedown, then did pretty much nothing from half-guard, except get passed when I tried to roll him. I did roll the guy from side control, but ended up in his guard & got swept trying to pass his open guard. I recovered guard, but at this point had to work hard for a submission. I almost got a collar choke, but no dice. It was almost embarrassing how little skill I showed in this match - but that's what will happen with exhaustion + nerves.

At the end of the day here's what I need to work on:
- Pull the trigger on takedowns. I have some nice takedowns up my sleeve, didn't even attempt any.
- Learn to relax so I can think. There are plenty of techniques that I know, that I couldn't think of in the moment. This happened in both matches.

All in all this was an excellent experience for me. I'm glad I won 1 & glad I lost 1. I have lots to work on now - ready to get back on the mats & in the gym.

And my knee could not have been less of an issue. Didn't feel it at all.

Last edited:
1/27/2014

BW: 211.6

BJJ - 1 Hour

Got back on the mats today for some light rolling. Felt pretty good. The pro MMA class was off the hook today - 5 UFC fighters, several title contenders, from heavyweight to lightweight. Pretty cool to see these guys working.

1/29/2014

BW: 211.8

Squats
5x135
5x175
5x205
5x225
5x255
8x295

Leg Press
10x225
10x315
10x405
10x405
10x405

Stiff Leg Deads
10x135
10x185
10x185
10x185
10x185

Abs - crunches on a swiss ball holding a 2.2-lb ball behind my head
5 sets of 25

First day lifting since Oct 29th last year. That's 3 months to the day! Damn. I foresee DOMS in my near future. The new program is pretty simple, BJJ as much as possible, lift twice a week. I'm still using 5/3/1 for the rep scheme for the main lifts.

1/30/2014

BJJ - 2 Hours

Really good training tonight, but my knee is jacked up. Sucks & I'm kinda bummed about it. Icing it now.

Did you reinjured the knee or is it a new one or did you just irritate the hell out of it.

Im not sure what to think about the divisions of purple and up at most tourneys. Seems like making them as restrictive as the lower belts results in a lot of open divisions. I've seen them join the seniors and even join seniors and open in order to provide some matches. I'm not sure I could even find a senior 1 match at 220 in this area much less an upper belt for me to lose

Did you reinjured the knee or is it a new one or did you just irritate the hell out of it.

Im not sure what to think about the divisions of purple and up at most tourneys. Seems like making them as restrictive as the lower belts results in a lot of open divisions. I've seen them join the seniors and even join seniors and open in order to provide some matches. I'm not sure I could even find a senior 1 match at 220 in this area much less an upper belt for me to lose

Just re-irritated the knee doing a knee-slide pass. And then after that it kept getting in weird positions. I'm just going to keep icing it & I think I'm going to keep training jiujitsu, just work on my open guard (which doesn't seem to bother it for the most part) & play everything from my left side. Which will probably end up being good for my overall game.

And yes, I agree with you on the divisions. The open division on Sunday was all purple belts 36 & up, regardless of weight. There were 3 of us, and Southern California is a huge jiujitsu market.

1/31/2014

BW: 211.6

Bench Press
5x45
5x95
5x125
5x145
5x155
5x185
10x205

DB Press
10x60
10x60
10x60
10x60
10x60

DB Rows
10x60
10x70
10x70
10x70
10x70

Preacher Curls
10x45
10x35
10x35
10x35
10x35

Wrists & elbows were hurting from all the grappling lately - elbow was really giving me grief with the curls. Otherwise pretty good workout today. Legs are so sore from Wednesday's workout that its ridiculous - sitting in a chair hurts lol

2/3/2014

Deads
5x135
5x185
5x225
5x265
5x295
7x335

Front Squats
5x135
5x135
5x135

Squats
10x185

Good Mornings
10x135
10x135
10x135
10x135
10x135

Abs

Meh workout today. Started off with me having to wait for a rack & went downhill from there. Deads were ok, but no chalk, no knurling on the bar made it suck. Tried front squats...I've never really done those before, but they were tough on my wrists, elbows, shoulders and neck. I think I'll just do regular squats for assistance on deadlift day. I did 1 set of regular squats, but then my knee felt weird, so I just stopped. GM's were not to bad - I haven't done those in a long time. Hope I was doing them right, hard to tell.

2/4/2014

BW: 212.0

BJJ - 1 Hour

Really good training today. Worked a couple of spider guard passes, then specific spider guard training. Then 2 6 minute rounds of sparring. I worked with a couple of purple belts, a black belt & a big white belt. My knee isn't anywhere close to 100%, so I'm working open guard only. and since I can't knee slide to the left, I'm having to work other guard passes - all of this is really good for my jiujitsu development I think.

So right now my goals are to play only open guard from bottom, and work sweeps. From top I'm only looking for subs from mount.

Last edited:
Really good training tonight, but my knee is jacked up. Sucks & I'm kinda bummed about it. Icing it now.

Knees are gay. And I don't mean "gay" in the good sense, of two men sharing their love.

Just read your competition write up. Nerves are like the one thing you can't train for. Your conditioning can be top notch but if you get too nervous you'll be wasted after that first match. I remember my very first match I was so nervous I literally had tunnel vision and I grabbed my opponents gi so hard the entire time my forearms cramped afterwards. I had nothing left for my second match. I think the best thing to do is to compete often. Make it a normal occurrence.

Knees are gay. And I don't mean "gay" in the good sense, of two men sharing their love.

I agree.

Just read your competition write up. Nerves are like the one thing you can't train for. Your conditioning can be top notch but if you get too nervous you'll be wasted after that first match. I remember my very first match I was so nervous I literally had tunnel vision and I grabbed my opponents gi so hard the entire time my forearms cramped afterwards. I had nothing left for my second match. I think the best thing to do is to compete often. Make it a normal occurrence.

Yep, I think you're right. I don't think I'm doing Pans because of my knee, but I plan on doing another one later this year.

2/6/2014

Overhead Press
8x45
8x45
5x65
5x85
5x95
5x105
5x125
6x135

Chins
10xBW
7xBW, 3xBW
5xBW, 3xBW, 2xBW
5xBW, 3xBW, 2xBW
5xBW, 2xBW, 1xBW, 1xBW, 1xBW

Dips (supersetted with chins)
15xBW
12xBW
12xBW
12xBW
12xBW

Barbell Curls
10x65
10x65
10x55
10x55
10x55

Tough workout today. Chins really sucked, but I guess thats good for me :)

2/7/2014

BW: 213.8

BJJ - 1.5 Hours

Full on film crew with photographers at Kings today for Verdum & Machida. That was pretty cool. I got to work some half guard & open guard - really struggled in both, just moving a little slow. Tons of construction going on in the house now due to a flood & then a small unrelated electrical fire :( Gonna take weeks to clean up this mess. Here's a pic from today with Gordo (inventor of half-guard) & Master Rafael Cordeiro in the back row. Front row (left to right) is Verdum, Machida, Rafael Dos Santos & Beneil Dariush.

1901200_240994676080928_408976809_n.jpg

You ever get any mat time on the pro side of the gym?

You ever get any mat time on the pro side of the gym?

Nope, but it's because I've only been training in the gi. I'm hoping to start going to some nogi classes soon & sometimes the pros go to those classes.

2/10/2014

Chinups - Recon Ron Week 4
Sets of 8,7,5,5,5

So much crazy bad luck right now I should write a country song. 3 cars need to go in the shop, had an upstairs flood last week, so 3 bathrooms & 2 bedrooms out of commission, small electrical fire this weekend cost me $500, and wife is having MAJOR back issues. Been on Vicodin all weekend, X-rays today, doc requested an MRI & referral to a neurosurgeon tomorrow. Hopefully I'll make it to the gym tomorrow, did pull-ups today.

Do what you can when you can because if nothing else its a temporary release from life

Do what you can when you can because if nothing else its a temporary release from life

Thanks man - I agree with this 100%....but with that said I still wasn't able to train or make it to the gym today. :(

I did get my chin-ups in:

Chinups - Recon Ron Week 4
Sets of 8,7,5,5,5

I think there's a good chance I can get to both jiujitsu & the gym tomorrow. I sure hope so.

Machida looking ripped. I think he'll beat Mousasi.

Back