My ADD Training Log 2014

1/13/2014

BW: 217.0

BJJ - 1 Hour

Trained light today to test the knee. I could feel it occasionally, but it didn't hurt. So I think its going to be fine. Worked on a front side knee slice today - kind of a smash pass for butterfly. Picked up some nice details - I think this is a good one for me. Definitely feeling that pressure top game is right in my wheelhouse - some details have been coming together over the past few weeks that are helping. Also just realized I've been writing "2013" on every log post this year....

That old age kicking in....;-)

That's always happening....

In this case it was set off by a twisting knee bar though. I wasn't sure how bad it was going to be, but I think it's going to be fine by tournament time.

They released the competitors list today for the tournament. There's still a week to register, but right now I'm the only one in my division (Purple Belt, Senior II, Super Heavy). Hopefully someone else signs up...I was hoping to use my experience at this tourney to make a decision about competing at Pans.

I'm starting RRBT again Feb 1st. Making a legit run at #3. You down?

I'm starting RRBT again Feb 1st. Making a legit run at #3. You down?

ooooh. Maybe - that's tempting. I haven't worked with my grippers in so long I might have to make another run at #2.5 though....

I might be down for this though...

1/14/2014

BW: 215.6

BJJ - 1 Hour

1 Hour class today with Fernando Bettega. I got to do a 5 minute round with him, he tapped me twice, but offered some nice pointers to my half guard passing. Including that roll, I did 3 5 minute rolls - 2 were fairly intense, 1 was light. Knee feels a little stiff now, probably gonna ice it. If it feels good, I'll train again tonight.

Weight is on track, which is great!

1/15/2014

BW: 214.0

BJJ - 1.5 Hours

Small class & lots of drilling today. Worked with 2 variations of pressure passing from opponents half guard with knee shield. Then some good specific training from that position, then 4 5-minute rounds of rolling, two of those were with Ricardo, my 280-lb black belt instructor. His top pressure is ridiculous. Picked up some good details though. Hit a nice DLR sweep against Ricardo. He probably gave it to me though.

Weight is on point. I was 220.4 in my heavy gi today after breakfast & before training. Knee is still not 100%. Not realy hurting, but I can feel it in certain movements. Conditioning wasn't bad today. 2 five minute rounds with Ricardo is like 20 minutes with anyone else. And I survived, so feel good about that.

Just watched Benny Dariush's UFC debut. He looked great! He's the primary no-gi jiu-jitsu instructor at Kings.

1/16/2014

BW: 214.4

BJJ - 1 Hour

Continued working open guard triangle, omoplata, armbar transitions with Fernando. Had 3 6-minute sparring sessions. First one was with another purple belt - he's a young pro MMA fighter - good guy, but definitely strong & athletic, about 185 pounds. We had a 6-minute match, starting from standing. I got a takedown & then passed his half guard twice, but then he got loose in a scramble when I tried to apply a baseball choke from side control. He's a lot quicker than me, I didn't do a good job moving my hips & he was able to pass my open guard pretty quick. And then he went right into mount just before time went out. If you're scoring at home, I won the match 8-7, but to give up the position & then finish by getting mounted is not where I want to be LOL. I definitely have stuff to work on. I sparred with a brand-new whitebelt next & then finished with a blue belt. Overall good stuff - my conditioning is slowly improving. Weight is still looking good. I'm looking forward to the tournament next weekend.

1/16/2014

BJJ - 2 Hours

2nd training session today. Tough evening class. Got to work on a lot of stuff from bottom. My conditioning is improving, but I still got plenty tired. I got reversed the same way twice from side control when I tried the same choke lol - hey, dummy - don't set the choke up that way!! At any rate 3 total hours of BJJ today, that's a lot. My body hurts. After the evening session, I weighed 210.6. That's too much weight loss in a single day, If I'm working out like that, I need to eat more.

1/17/2014

BW: 210.6

BJJ - 1 Hour

Tried to train light today but of course I got my knee jacked up again. Just working a technique to pass half-guard & tweaked my knee. Oh well. Planning on taking it easy this weekend, might go for a hike on Sunday. Knee doesn't hurt at all when moving straight, it's just the twisting motions that are causing me some pain.

Yesterday was a tough day - I ate my normal amount & still lost 4 pounds! So I'm eating more today. I don't need to lose anymore weight before next weekend. Ideally I'm 212ish first thing in the morning & then maybe 214ish after breakfast. Put the gi on & I should be 220. Thats the plan at least.

I'll train lighter next week - I want to make sure I feel solid, strong & fit for the weekend.

Here's a pic from after training today:

1484122_629582573758198_2120406624_n.jpg

1/18/2014

BW: 215.2

5 mile hike today in Crystal Cove. Took a little under 2 hours. Some pretty steep hills, goes from 0 to just under 1000 ft elevation, beautiful views of the Pacific.

1/21/2014

BW: 213.4

After Saturday's hike I've been taking it easy for a couple of days. I'm planning on going to jiujitsu tonight at 7. I've been spending some time BJJLibrary.com over the last week or so - lots of awesome material there. Weight is exactly where it needs to be, 213.4 when I woke up in the morning, today I had 3 eggs with onions, peppers & mushrooms for breakfast, and then a few handfuls of Almonds & raisins and a banana for a mid-morning snack. I weighed myself again at 11:00AM and I'm 213.2. The gi I want to wear is 5 lbs, and my weight class is 221, so I'm in great shape. I've also borrowed an "ultra-lite" gi from a friend just in case.

The 221 class, purple belt, senior II is supposed to start at 3:15 on Saturday, but I think I'm the only competitor in my bracket. So unless that changes, I'll show up on Saturday just to sign up for the open division. The Open division for purple is on Sunday at noon.

EDIT - Another guy signed up for my bracket, so I'm not alone! Looks like I'll have a match on Saturday!

Last edited:
1/21/2014

BJJ - 2 Hours

Got a little winded tonight, more than expected. jiujitsu was back & forth. Did some things good, sucked in other areas. Positives were I hit a basic, old school hip bump sweep on a purple belt. That's something I've been working, because it fits in well with my closed guard game. I got a nice sweep on another purple from closed guard as well. I also hit a lapel choke from side control that I've been working on & I did a better job of maintaining position today. Knee is still giving me issues so I'm a bit tentative with it. I also basically got raped by a brown belt today.

After training bodyweight was down to 210(!) - that's pretty low so I doubled up on dinner.

1/22/2014

BW: 210.0

BJJ - 1 Hour

Worked an old-school cross-collar, leg over the shoulder pass. Nice to go back to some old stuff with new details. My knee is still stiff, its got some fluid in it, I'm going to try to do lots of ice and motrin over the next few days. Just did guard-specific training, no rolling today due to the knee.

Weight was a little too light this morning, so I had a nice, big breakfast & a good-size lunch as well.

1/24/2014

BW: 211.4

BJJ - 1 Hour

1 Hour of sparring today, started light & increased the intensity. I ran out of gas pretty quick though, which kinda sucks. My conditioning is better than it was a month ago, but not where it needs to be. I did get to spar with a couple of visitors from Prague, so that was cool.

Weight is right where it needs to be, I think I can have spaghetti for dinner :) Tournament is tomorrow!

1/25/2014

All-Americas Tournament

Well I was supposed to have a match today but the other guy didn't show. I showed up & was ready to go though.

Here's my pic from the podium lol:
1545581_10203114449850433_2111143916_n.jpg

And here's a pic of me with 2 of my instructors, who also got gold metals & didn't have a fight :)
1653418_692578834125655_1567134903_n.jpg

I'm going back tomorrow for the open division.

Winning without fighting is dominate as all fuck

Sucks about not competing - must be frustrating. Nice pics though.

1/26/2014

BW: 210.6

Day 2 of the NABJJF All Americas Tournament - Competed in the Open Division Purple Belt "Seniors" division. Won one, lost one - took 2nd place.

1656242_10203121393224013_208702633_n.jpg

Weird how nerves work... I know that logically, there's really nothing to be nervous about but I still had an adrenaline dump - super winded after the finals & my forearms cramped for 4-5 minutes straight lol. At any rate, it was a good experience. Glad I did it. Need to decide if I'm doing Pans or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back