calvus

Getting Crunk
@purple
Reaction score
BIO:
Height: 6-2
Weight: 215-ish
BJJ Purple Belt

I train Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and I'm also training and competing in Scottish Highland Games. Before starting my first "real" strength program in May 2010, I had not lifted weights for close to 20 years.

In May 2010, I tested my 5 rep max:

Bench: 205
Squat: 225
Deadlift: 255
SOHP: 125

I've made huge gains since starting & totaled 1223 at a Powerlifting meet in 2013 with a 430 squat, 298 paused bench & 496 deadlift.

BIG-PICTURE GOALS FOR 2014
1) Be consistent with workouts! There were too many times last year where I missed weeks due to work or injury.
2) Prioritize Effectively. BJJ, Powerlifting, Highland Games, Work, Family, etc... I can't do everything as a top priority. To do well in a comp, something else has to have to take a back seat.

Here's a link to my original training log: My ADD Training Log

Here's a link to my 2012 training log: My ADD Training Log - 2012

Here's a link to my 2013 training log: My ADD Training Log - 2013

Last edited:
1/2/2013

Fasted Run - 2.13 mi, 20:17

Really sore from squats the other day, knees hurting a bit but I got a short run in. BJJ later tonight.

This log needs more shirtless selfies.

1/2/2013

BJJ - 1.5 hours

Open mat tonight. My conditioning was just fair. I got to roll with another purple belt who I haven't seen in a while - he went hard & pretty much mopped the floor with me. So that sucked. It really seems to be difficult for me to figure out how hard to roll. I think when guys are purple or higher (or if they're just big strong guys) I just need to try to smash the shit out of them maybe instead of trying to "flow".

Its hard to measure what is competitive and what rates douche bag when rolling.

1/3/2013

BW: 218.6

BJJ - 1.5 Hours

Did a better job rolling today, took a more aggressive approach & I think it helped. Sorry if I'm being an asshole to my training partners, but if I'm competing this month, I need to crank up the intensity. Having a lazy open guard & trying to play with berimbolo's isn't going to cut it. When I'm rolling against a guy my size (220 or up), I need to be on top, or if I'm on the bottom I simply CANNOT allow my guard to be passed or else it sucks. Today I rolled against a young ex-collegiate wrestler (D2) who's also just starting his MMA career. He's shorter than me, but probably close to my weight. No pro fights yet. He's really tough on the mats & tapped me twice in 6 minutes in out first roll. We rolled again later, I was more aggressive, used the gi more & although he defended a couple of arm bar attempts, a choke, omoplata and some sweeps I finally got him in a wrist lock. I also rolled with a strong white belt who's about 230 pounds. Worked my guard well, lots of sweeps. Good control from the top & got several different submissions. so all-in-all a good training session.

** Also, I have to work harder on my diet. 218.6 this morning, before breakfast. Need to be <220 in the gi.

1/6/2013

So I got sick over the weekend. Stupid winter cold, I'm congested, sore throat, aching, etc... Right now, I can't train BJJ & conditioning is gonna be very tough. I think the medicine is also messing with my weight, making me hold water or something. I was 222.0 this morning. Unless I can kick this quickly, I'm out of the BJJ tournament on the 25th.

1/8/2013

BW: 216.8

BJJ - 1.5 Hours

Pretty easy class today. It was me and a white belt about my size (which was good) and our black-belt substitute instructor - the main instructor is still in Brazil for the holidays. We worked some details on some simple stuff - hip bump sweep to guillotine. Sometimes its really nice to go back to basic techniques that you already know & work on the details with a black belt. Me & the white belt rolled two 5 minute rounds, it went well. I was able to put myself in positions, escape when I needed to, get sweeps, subs, etc. I did a good job being aware of my positioning during scrambles & used that to take the back a few times. Didn't get winded even though I've been under the weather, so that was a plus. I've been trying to battle this cold really hard. Bodyweight is still on-track for the tournament.

Well I signed up for the NABJJF All Americas Tournament today. January 25th. I'll be nervous but excited, I hope handle it well. I'm doing purple belt (gi), 220-lb division, Senior II (god I'm old).

1/9/2013

BW: 216.8

BJJ - 1 Hour

I haven't done the 10am T-Th class before. This is a different instructor (Fernando Bettega) & I had only met 1 of the guys in the class before, so that's good for me, lots of new faces. That's once of the things I love about training at Kings - we have 5 different BJJ black belt instructors that regularly teach classes, and other black belts that will drop in to roll or substitute teach. At any rate, worked on a simple triangle & omoplata setup from feet-on-hips guard, worked takedowns for a bit & then had 3 good 5-6 minute sparring sessions. The 1st one was pretty intense, I was going against another purple belt who is smaller than me, but quicker and probably more technical. Good back & forth with him, lots of positional battles, no subs either way. I lost position at the end when I was on top half & tried to berimbolo - he's too quick for me in the scrambles. Next round was against a really good white belt I haven't met before. He was stocky & strong & good in scrambles. I played my sweep game pretty good, maintained the positions I wanted. I went for 1 choke from side control, but he did a great job rolling out. 3rd round was against a new white belt, I tried to work some stuff I wanted to without killing him. This morning was pretty good conditioning.

I forgot to put my mount piece in for the 1st roll, and of course took a knee to the mouth. Now I have a vagina shaped cut inside my lip :(

1/9/2013

BJJ - 1.5 Hours

2nd training session today. Pretty good stuff, got to work on some guard passing. Did one 7 minute round with a big strong white belt that just gives me fits. I was super winded at the end. I still need to work on my conditioning. This guy is a little bigger than me, maybe 230 pounds & just a year or 2 out of the Marines. He's picking everything up really quickly & I'm not sure if he has a wrestling background, but he's really tough to sweep. I did a good job retaining guard & not getting passed, but I wasn't able to sweep or submit in the 7 minutes. So I've got some stuff to work on for sure.

1/10/2013

BW: 214.8

BJJ - 1 Hour

Lunch time training today. Supposed to be pretty low key, but I was rolling with a pretty aggressive purple belt & he got me in a twisting knee crank. Sucked. I tapped pretty quick, not sure if its just a little sore or hurt or what. I guess time will tell - hopefully its better by the end of the weekend.

Good luck with your training in 2014, calvus!

Good luck with your training in 2014, calvus!

Thanks Miaou!

How's the knee

Knee is swollen a little this morning. Definitely MCL-related. I'm just trying to deal with the swelling & hope it goes away. It doesn't hurt with most movements, but it feels like there's no lateral stability.

So are you planning on having BJJ take preceden this year?

So are you planning on having BJJ take preceden this year?

Yes, that's the plan at this point. Just really need to make some improvements in my jiujitsu. Right now, I'm only doing BJJ & adding in some supplemental conditioning as IU prep for this tournament. After the tournament Jan25th, I'm going to experiment with adding lifting & throwing back in to the workout regimen as well. But the plan is to keep BJJ as priority #1.

Back