Movie Pass: 10$ A Month For 1 Free Movie A Day In Theaters

Yeah, the Movie pass card, is a real working debit card. You don't even have to say your paying with movie pass or anything, just use like a credit card. No pins or anything.

Okay sweet. Sounds hassle free.

seems like a waste of money in my opinion, most movies suck

Yeah if you don't like movies then obviously it's a bad buy. But for people who like movies it's really a no brainer imo.

I've already used it to see some pretty solid movies and I haven't even had my card for a month yet

Wind River
Kingsman 2
Logan Lucky
Baby Driver
IT
Little Hours
Mother

It also works at the indie theater near me that shows limited release movies and classic films, so I was able to go see the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre last weekend which was pretty cool.

From what I understand the movie theaters get the full value of the movie ticket no matter what. So if you get your ticket that would otherwise cost 10 dollars then Moviepass has to pay the theater 10 dollars for that ticket. Doesn't seem like a sustainable business model. But I guess take advantage of it while you can.

And I think you have to buy the tickets on the phone app but also have to do it within 100 yards of the movie theater so you can't buy you tickets the day before or even a few hours before.

From what I understand the movie theaters get the full value of the movie ticket no matter what. So if you get your ticket that would otherwise cost 10 dollars then Moviepass has to pay the theater 10 dollars for that ticket. Doesn't seem like a sustainable business model. But I guess take advantage of it while you can.

And I think you have to buy the tickets on the phone app but also have to do it within 100 yards of the movie theater so you can't buy you tickets the day before or even a few hours before.

You can't buy them the day before, since the app only lets you view showtimes for the current day, however you can show up to the theater early in the day and purchase tickets for a later showing. You just pick the movie through your app then purchase the ticket at the counter with your card, I did this with "IT" since I figured it would sell out, wasn't much of an inconvenience since I have a theater very close to my house.

I guess if the theater is on your way to work you can stop in the parking lot pick your movie then later in the night go pick up your tickets.

Does the movie theater make you pay the difference when a movie is in 3D?

I guess if the theater is on your way to work you can stop in the parking lot pick your movie then later in the night go pick up your tickets.

Does the movie theater make you pay the difference when a movie is in 3D?

You can't use it for 3D

seems like a waste of money in my opinion, most movies suck

While I agree that most modern movies suck, since this thing is only a month by month subscription with no strings attached, at $9.95 there's no way it's a waste of money. Just look up movie release schedules month by month and find a month with movies that look interesting and buy your card for that month. (If you're on the fence about it)

But yeah, for $9.95 there's no way this is a bad deal.

Here are all the movies that are on my radar between now and the end of the year, so Movie Pass will really come in handy.

September

American Made
Flatliners

October

Blade Runner 2049
The Foreigner
GeoStorm
The Snowman
Suburbicon
Thank You For Your Service

November

Murder on the Orient Express
Death Wish
The Man Who Invented Christmas
The Current War

December

The Disaster Artist
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
All the Money in the World
The Greatest Showman

I heard Suburbicon was terrible.

One that interest me for October:

Happy Death Day
The Foreigner
The Snowman
Boo! Two (I never saw the first Madea Boo movie but I'll check it out before seeing this. It looks lame but slightly funny)
Only the Brave (Looks awesome)
Leatherface (meh, might as well)
Jigsaw (meh, might as well)
Thank You For Your Service (meh, might as well)

Every once in a while they'll show an older movie for a day or two and that's one of the things I'm most excited about. I guess Cinemark just got done showing E.T. for a couple of days and I'm super bummed I missed that. I would have gone even without this movie pass but I didn't find out until it was too late. That would have been amazing to see on the big screen.

Interesting... So no online purchases? They give you credit card that you use to buy tickets. I wonder if for a family of 5, they give you five cards.
Some places work for online purchases but there aren't any around me.

A family of 5 would need 5 cards and 5 smart phones. The card is tied to your account on the app. You check in from 100 yards in theater and pick the movie and time you want then your card gets activated for that purchase. I don't know how they can track which showing you are buying tho so it might for other ones too.

A family of 5 would need 5 cards and 5 smart phones. The card is tied to your account on the app. You check in from 100 yards in theater and pick the movie and time you want then your card gets activated for that purchase. I don't know how they can track which showing you are buying tho so it might for other ones too.

With a lot of theaters now having assigned seating you would all literally have to get your tickets at the same time to make sure you sat together.

Yeah... they're going to need to fix that before getting my business. Which, if this early experiment works, I'm sure they'll do. It seems like there shouldn't be any reason to have a single account for five members.

This whole situation feels like the birth of Netflix, where so many people were curious, but skeptical at the same time. It's so fun to laugh at Blockbuster now because Netflix was practically begging them to team up... lol.

It seems like a no-brainer for the theaters to get this working somehow, even if it means enacting some restrictions beyond the Imax & 3D stuff. Like maybe opening weekend exclusions (Thursday thru Sunday), then opening it up....

Just getting people back into theaters in any manner possible seems like a win. Concessions alone would be worth it.

With a lot of theaters now having assigned seating you would all literally have to get your tickets at the same time to make sure you sat together.
Theres only one theater I go to that has assigned seating. It kind of sucks having to go early but they serve alcohol and theres a bar down the street so meh.

Yeah... they're going to need to fix that before getting my business. Which, if this early experiment works, I'm sure they'll do. It seems like there shouldn't be any reason to have a single account for five members.

This whole situation feels like the birth of Netflix, where so many people were curious, but skeptical at the same time. It's so fun to laugh at Blockbuster now because Netflix was practically begging them to team up... lol.

It seems like a no-brainer for the theaters to get this working somehow, even if it means enacting some restrictions beyond the Imax & 3D stuff. Like maybe opening weekend exclusions (Thursday thru Sunday), then opening it up....

Just getting people back into theaters in any manner possible seems like a win. Concessions alone would be worth it.
This isn't something I see them fixing. The reason they do it this way so you can't buy tickets for anyone else on days where you aren't going to the movies.

Assigned seating is bullshit. I hate it. All my local theaters are first come first serve. It's so much better that way.

This isn't something I see them fixing. The reason they do it this way so you can't buy tickets for anyone else on days where you aren't going to the movies.

Why would they care? If you're paying $50/mon for 5 subscriptions, why does it matter who sits in the seats? It's not a plane ticket where they check ID's. I'm not going to have 5 separate phones for 5 tickets... I think this will get fixed if the program is a success. Why wouldn't they. They'd be excluding millions of customers who have families.

If you mean only purchasing the tickets at the theater, then yes, I agree. People who want to pre-purchase tickets and select prime seats should have priority since they are paying more. Furthermore, if the MoviePass really catches on, then Pre-Purchasing tickets becomes even more important because you don't want to be fighting the MoviePass members if you wait until the last minute.

Assigned seating is bullshit. I hate it. All my local theaters are first come first serve. It's so much better that way.

lol... This thread has been before. Assigned seating kicks ass.

I'll never have to show up 2+ hours early for a popular opening weekend showing. Fuck that shit. I only did that a few times back in the day and it sucked, so I never did it again.

Now, I've actually gone to several opening weekend showings in the last two years with the family because I buy the tickets in advance, we show up 15-30 minutes early, get some food and calmly take our seats.

If you really enjoy first come, first serve, there's plenty of theaters that still do it. You're welcome to it.

People against assigned seating should also know that a lot of theaters with assigned seating tend to be the theaters with recliner seats. I wasn't crazy about the idea either but it really is great. You can still show up to the movie theater and buy a ticket at the last second and pick your seat out at the cashiers stand.

I never thought about it like that. I suppose on busy weekends when you can reserve a seat in advance it's a great option, but 98% of the time I've ever gone to the show I've gotten to pick my own seat and that's how I generally prefer it. I think the only times I ever had assigned seating was when I went to an IMAX showing or saw something out of state. For the most part I'm firmly on the first come, first serve side of things.

I do recall having to pick seats for an IMAX showing and all of the good ones were already taken, so it's basically similar to first come first serve where if you're not quick enough then you're screwed.

I can't wait to The Last Jedi in December where I'll possibly be able to buy and pick my seat out weeks in advance.

Yeah if you don't like movies then obviously it's a bad buy. But for people who like movies it's really a no brainer imo.

I've already used it to see some pretty solid movies and I haven't even had my card for a month yet

Wind River
Kingsman 2
Logan Lucky
Baby Driver
IT
Little Hours
Mother

It also works at the indie theater near me that shows limited release movies and classic films, so I was able to go see the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre last weekend which was pretty cool.

I remember you mentioned that problem where you say said they had already given out all their tickets for the day. Have you run into that again?

@mushishi, have you ever run into that issue?

Back