Movie Pass: 10$ A Month For 1 Free Movie A Day In Theaters

I downloaded the app and it was super buggy so I didn't sign up. I'll have to try from a pc

My understanding is that you can buy tickets for later showings, but you have to physically go to the theater to purchase them. So if you don't mind making an early trip to pick up the tickets then you should be fine.

Also, of course, bear in mind that you'll need a different MoviePass membership for each family member since each one is only good for one ticket per day.
They should implement a family a la carte plan, where you can tack on x number of additional memberships. 2-8 tickets on a single card, all paid by the same account. Would be nice for theaters with reserved seating.

Interview with CEO, the guy who slayed blockbuster

https://www.cnet.com/news/moviepass-ceo-mitch-lowe-interview-amc/

I was excited about this. There are 4 movie theaters in my city, including one 2 blocks from my house! MoviePass supports 3 out 4 of the theaters in my city. Guess which one they don't support....

<mma3>
That sucks! It supports theaters by my home and work. Unfortunately it doesn't support a theater that plays foreign films near me.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-moviepass-works-2017-8

So I just signed up for this, it's legit from what I have heard, just waiting for my card to come in the mail now. Anyone else try it yet? It's a pretty amazing deal for the time being, but my guess is they'll shoot the price back up once they get a shit ton of members.
I signed up 2 weeks ago and my card still hasn't arrived... wtf? I need to be able to watch crappy movies

Right now, I'm unable to see which theaters Moviepass works with. The website says to use the Phone App. However, the Phone App only works if I'm already signed up, which I'm not going to do until I see the theaters. Seems like a sneaky and dirty move to me

cinema map is right on their main page, you just enter the zip code

https://www.moviepass.com/

That sucks! It supports theaters by my home and work. Unfortunately it doesn't support a theater that plays foreign films near me.

The art theater that plays foreign films is supported here. The one by my house is an AMC theater and not only do they not take it but, apparently the AMC company threatened litigation against Movie Pass.

Interesting... So no online purchases?

Some of the theaters offer e-tickets, which for those you can get them through the app and then pick them up at the theater.

They should implement a family a la carte plan, where you can tack on x number of additional memberships. 2-8 tickets on a single card, all paid by the same account. Would be nice for theaters with reserved seating.

Interview with CEO, the guy who slayed blockbuster

https://www.cnet.com/news/moviepass-ceo-mitch-lowe-interview-amc/

That's a really interesting article. Thanks for posting.

I signed up on the 15th but am still waiting for my card. I see some other people are saying they got e-mails saying their cards would show up in 2-3 weeks. Mine said 5-7 days. Hopefully that shit hurries the fuck up. I had to pay $9.75 last night to go see Kingsman and I'm ready to quit doing that shit.

another reason I don't like this is that this movie pass is only good for standard screens no IMAX or XD or 3D or the upgraded dolby digital cinema screens.
Why would it? It's only $10 dude. Want more then you have to pay more.

The art theater that plays foreign films is supported here. The one by my house is an AMC theater and not only do they not take it but, apparently the AMC company threatened litigation against Movie Pass.
That's odd. My local amc with reclining seats accepts it but not the art theater. Lol

I'm going to get this too.

AMC in downtown Disney accepts it. Which means I can get parking validation for 4 hours. Will use this when I go to Disneyland (annual pass) and save $20 on parking.

Plus on other days, I'll watch movies. This is a no brainer.

I have had my movie pass for 2 weeks now, and my experience has been great. All 15ish theaters within 20 miles of me take it. I have used it for 4 movies so far. You just have to be within 100 feet of the theater, select the film from your phone, and check into the movie. This activates your movie pass debit card for 30 minutes to pay for your movie. You pay just like using a credit card. It does not work for 3d or Imax type movies(the ones where the theater jacks up the price 40%) All the movies I saw ranged from a $8 matinee to $17 Saturday night new release. Its actually making me want to go see more movies.

I can't believe that this thing used to be $50 per month. That's what I'd expect for this service, but damn. At that price I wouldn't do it. It kinda makes me nervous for the future of this thing. If it remains $9.95 then I'll keep the service for the rest of my life. But if they bump it up, I'll inevitably cancel my subscription. Not to sound cheap or poor, but $9.95 is a steal, $15.99 is probably the max I would pay. $20 and above and I'm not really wanting to shell out of the monthly fee for it. Certainly not at $50.

If anything, hopefully someday when they do alter it, they go with tiers to give us choices. What they're offering now is fine for me. I don't need 3D (outside of very rare instances such as the re-release of T2 and Top Gun in 3D) and I don't have an IMAX theater anywhere close to me, so that's not an issue. I'd almost certainly remain a lifetime basic member.

I have had my movie pass for 2 weeks now, and my experience has been great. All 15ish theaters within 20 miles of me take it. I have used it for 4 movies so far. You just have to be within 100 feet of the theater, select the film from your phone, and check into the movie. This activates your movie pass debit card for 30 minutes to pay for your movie. You pay just like using a credit card. It does not work for 3d or Imax type movies(the ones where the theater jacks up the price 40%) All the movies I saw ranged from a $8 matinee to $17 Saturday night new release. Its actually making me want to go see more movies.

What happens if after they put the money on the card you try to buy snacks with it? Or after the money is on the card you immediately run to walmart for something, within the 30 minutes? How do they stop that?

Yeah, currently I see roughly 1 movie every 2-3 months or so in theaters. But with this service, I'll be going easily at least 2-3 times a week. No reason not to now.

I can't believe that this thing used to be $50 per month. That's what I'd expect for this service, but damn. At that price I wouldn't do it. It kinda makes me nervous for the future of this thing. If it remains $9.95 then I'll keep the service for the rest of my life. But if they bump it up, I'll inevitably cancel my subscription. Not to sound cheap or poor, but $9.95 is a steal, $15.99 is probably the max I would pay.

So you don't go to more than one movie a month?

So you don't go to more than one movie a month?

Not usually. Unless it's a big summer with 2-3-4 releases that I'm dying to see (not often) then I'll probably go once every 2-3 months on average. There was one period not too long ago where I went something like 6 months without going to the show because literally nothing interested me.

I remember a few years ago I was going maybe once every 2-3 weeks. But it's bottomed out pretty drastically since then. As long as this thing holds around $9.95 though I'll definitely be hitting it up a ton more than normal.

Not usually. Unless it's a big summer with 2-3-4 releases that I'm dying to see (not often) then I'll probably go once every 2-3 months on average. There was one period not too long ago where I went something like 6 months without going to the show because literally nothing interested me.

I remember a few years ago I was going maybe once every 2-3 weeks. But it's bottomed out pretty drastically since then. As long as this thing holds around $9.95 though I'll definitely be hitting it up a ton more than normal.

Interesting.

You comment on movies far more than I'd expect someone to who has such a lack of actual interest in contemporary films.

Interesting.

You comment on movies far more than I'd expect someone to who has such a lack of actual interest in contemporary films.

Well, I still get around to seeing a lot of stuff, just not by paying to go to the show.

Back