Movie Pass: 10$ A Month For 1 Free Movie A Day In Theaters

Every once in a while they'll show an older movie for a day or two and that's one of the things I'm most excited about. I guess Cinemark just got done showing E.T. for a couple of days and I'm super bummed I missed that. I would have gone even without this movie pass but I didn't find out until it was too late. That would have been amazing to see on the big screen.

We had ET recently at a theater here as well, so it wasn't just Cinemark.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind also recently was in theaters again.

From what I understand the movie theaters get the full value of the movie ticket no matter what. So if you get your ticket that would otherwise cost 10 dollars then Moviepass has to pay the theater 10 dollars for that ticket. Doesn't seem like a sustainable business model. But I guess take advantage of it while you can.

And I think you have to buy the tickets on the phone app but also have to do it within 100 yards of the movie theater so you can't buy you tickets the day before or even a few hours before.
I understand that a big part of there business is peoples viewing habits. They take the data of what movies people are seeing and also have the stats of the age group, sex, ect. They can then sell that valuable data to studios and advertisers. Its also the law of averages, while 5% of customers may use it to see 15 movies a month, most will use it to only see 1 or 2. So this new group who bought the movie pass, wants to lower to subscription price, to get a much larger and valuable user base

It seems like a no-brainer for the theaters to get this working somehow, even if it means enacting some restrictions beyond the Imax & 3D stuff. Like maybe opening weekend exclusions (Thursday thru Sunday), then opening it up....

The theaters are still getting paid the full price for the movie ticket anyway so there's no point in restrictions.

I remember you mentioned that problem where you say said they had already given out all their tickets for the day. Have you run into that again?

@mushishi, have you ever run into that issue?
No, the one time it happened I tried to watch a 11 pm showing. I just go earlier in the day now, no issues. There are days where I catch a film before going to work. Love it!

So you cannot see movies in the app in advance (days wise), but you can go there that morning and pick out whats playing, say, that night?

This seems pretty cool.

So you cannot see movies in the app in advance (days wise), but you can go there that morning and pick out whats playing, say, that night?

This seems pretty cool.

IIRC you can only choose the next immediate showtime. So if you get to the theater at 530p and the next showing is at 645, your only option is 645. I may be wrong on that though.

Thanks @Adamant

My younger self would snatch this up in a heartbeat, and even sign wife up for an account. $20 per month for 2 accounts is ONE trip to the movies per month anyway.

Now, we have kids and shit, so yeah..... Probably just gonna tell everyone I know who would take advantage of this IRL and wish I could get it and save money watching movies...

I remember you mentioned that problem where you say said they had already given out all their tickets for the day. Have you run into that again?

@mushishi, have you ever run into that issue?

No I only ran into that issue the one time, and I think they were just overwhelmed with how many people were trying to see "IT" on opening night.

Last edited:
IIRC you can only choose the next immediate showtime. So if you get to the theater at 530p and the next showing is at 645, your only option is 645. I may be wrong on that though.

Yeah can choose from all the showtimes, not just the next available one.

I have a friend who invested in this company and he was saying how over night his stock essentially doubled... luck punk

Some places work for online purchases but there aren't any around me.

A family of 5 would need 5 cards and 5 smart phones. The card is tied to your account on the app. You check in from 100 yards in theater and pick the movie and time you want then your card gets activated for that purchase. I don't know how they can track which showing you are buying tho so it might for other ones too.

Can you do this and buy a ticket for the next day or later?

Also, can 1 single person have 2 separate accounts to buy 2 tickets?

Girlfriend signed us up for it like 2 weeks ago. Still waiting on the damn card to ship...

With Movie Pass?

No just get a ticket the normal way, got to make sure I see it on that friday. Otherwise I might not get an opportunity to see it until after the weekend and I can't wait that long for a SW film.

Just got my card in the mail. Finally!

I would go test it on Blade Runner tonight if I hadn't gone last night. I'll probably go give it a whirl on Sunday now instead.

I'm still waiting for mine. I signed up about a week ago.

Took me almost three weeks to the day for the card to arrive.

I signed up on 9/15 and the card came this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, they're lagging.

Do you know if they charge you when you sign up or when you activate it?

Damn, they're lagging.

Do you know if they charge you when you sign up or when you activate it?

From what I understand, your membership doesn't officially start until you have your card. Honestly I haven't looked too deeply into it but I know I read something like that.

From what I understand, your membership doesn't officially start until you have your card. Honestly I haven't looked too deeply into it but I know I read something like that.

Sounds good. I guess either way, it's still a great deal.

Just realized, you live in SLC. Did you go to the comic con about 2 weeks ago, we were selling our tees at the show.

Back