Motorsports thread. Discuss any motorsports here

One interesting thing this season will be to see how the Mercedes teams handles itself under real pressure.
The last couple of years they had a lot of room for error while still winning the race just based on the car.
A slightly wrong setup or a small tactical error didn't really matter one of the cars would usually still win.

Personally, I think they will struggle this season. We already saw that when they didn't take in Hamilton at the right time in Australia.
Basically costing him the win. And now trying to find the right set up.
They didn't have those issues last season. But this year a small mistake like this will cost them the race.

Mercedes has been poor at strategy for a long time.

Mercedes has had the luxury of not needing to always being spot on with their strategy due to outright speed and performance domination, but now the tide is turning in favor of scuderia.

Another winning car in NASCAR has been found in violation of the rules after tech inspection. It's another Penske car. He still gets the win but it won't count toward the playoffs. On Race Hub they asked the fans if the win should be vacated and 60% said yes. Jeff Hammond was saying it was an honest mistake. It seems that teams are trying to leave the suspension loose so the cars track a little differently. Penske was still waiting for it's final appeal from Keselowski's violation.

Mercedes has had the luxury of not needing to always being spot on with their strategy due to outright speed and performance domination, but now the tide is turning in favor of scuderia.
Plus ya know, killing 80-90 ppl with their magnesium cars lmao

Nearly a big mistake in the FIA race at Spa in the first lap as the car on the inside went into the first turn too hot and couldn't make the turn. The driver on the outside apparently figured that and held back enough to allow the inside car to go across and off the track and cut in behind it.

Some dark clouds moving in. I guess it wouldn't be a race at Spa without rain.

watched part of it. love that series and love that track.

Last edited:
The Big One came late at Talladega today but it was quite a pileup.

bump drafting is really not that difficult if you're just patient.
sometimes I think they do this shit on purpose.

bump drafting is really not that difficult if you're just patient.
sometimes I think they do this shit on purpose.

The problem is that a driver has to keep the throttle pretty much wide open. If they lift, they will likely go to the back of the pack. Running that close together, if one car backs off, every car behind has to pass or back off starting a chain reaction just like on any road but at almost 200 mph. Even a slight slip slows a car and the cars behind runs into it. Even trying to turn to get around a car running that close can cause enough deceleration to get hit from behind.

It's pretty much inevitable that somebody is going to have a problem at some point and cause a big wreck when cars have to run that close together.

Your comment reminds me of this:

Blocking with 77 laps to go
<36>

What a can

It's pretty much inevitable that somebody is going to have a problem at some point and cause a big wreck when cars have to run that close together.
And that's why they sell it out every time. Smoke had the right idea.

Plate racing has the absolute least amount of skill involved and the absolute most amount of luck. People who get jacked for plate races = just bleed fans. If Danica Patrick ever wins, it will certainly be at a plate race.

Cancar is totally over-regulated with rules on top of rules for rules about rules.
Pure and simple racin' is what made the format fun. The fun is gone.

I thought plate racing was at it's best in the mid 90's. The cars ran in a pack at the beginning of the run and by the end of the run they fanned out a bit with the best handling cars with the slickest bodies and most HP going to the front. They were also able to pass back then and didn't always need a huge push. The leader wasn't able to just go left and right all over the track to block the pack. It was kind of the best of both worlds with the excitement of plate racing while the purists got some of the traditional racing in there as well.

These days it's a caricature of what it once was. It's like a shitty movie sequel where they take the best parts of the first movie and just shove them down your throat for an hour and a half in the sequel. Too much of anything is bad.

Last edited:
I thought plate racing was at it's best in the mid 90's. The cars ran in a pack at the beginning of the run and by the end of the run they fanned out a bit with the best handling cars with the slickest bodies and most HP going to the front. They were also able to pass back then and didn't always need a huge push. The leader wasn't able to just go left and right all over the track to block the pack. It was kind of the best of both worlds with the excitement of plate racing while the purists got some of the traditional racing in there as well.

These days it's a caricature of what it once was. It's like a shitty movie sequel where they take the best parts of the first movie and just shove them down your throat for an hour and a half in the sequel. Too much of anything is bad.

It might be more a combination of drivers learning how to draft, teams finding out about other teams tricks and NASCAR tightening enforcement of the rules.

Hamilton was fastest in both practices in Spain with the Mercedes 3 tenths quicker than the Ferraris. The Mercedes were also consistently faster on the long runs on both medium and soft tires. Vettel wasn't happy with the balance on the new aero package on the Ferrari and Raikonnen was slightly faster in both practices. Fernando Alonso's Honda only made 2 turns in P1 before it blew up.

It might be more a combination of drivers learning how to draft, teams finding out about other teams tricks and NASCAR tightening enforcement of the rules.

I think it's a little bit of everything. I remember up to 1999, plate racing was pretty exciting. Then the 2000 Daytona 500 happened and the switch from the T-Birds and older Monte Carlos to the new bodies ended up causing a stinker of a 500. They basically ran in single file all race without a whole lot of passing. I don't know if it was the next race at Talladega or the next year, but soon after Nascar had them run that small spoiler on the rooftop to bunch the cars up. What it did was basically cause them to run 3 wide in large packs, kind of like how you're seeing today. The rules play a huge part in it but I don't know how much of it is also the drivers because they seem like they're more talented today than they were back then as a whole.

poor Alonso.
freakin guy has the worst luck.
he needs to go to a competitive team before
his skills begin to deteriorate.

Back