Motorsports thread. Discuss any motorsports here

I'm surprised that Mercedes is that much faster than the Ferraris. I wonder if Ferrari has dialed back on their engines after the one failure.

or they may have qualified with a diff setup from race setup.
who knows.
I think scuderia have something special in mind for the rest of the season.

Vettel got a good start to get ahead of Hamilton then benefited from an early pit stop strategy when a couple of incidents brought out a safety car. Mercedes brought both Bottas and Hamilton in and had a horrendously slow stop on Bottas' car delaying Hamilton and also causing Hamilton to get a 5 second penalty for delaying another car.

Hamilton not happy that they put him on soft tires instead of super soft tires with 15 laps to go.

Hamilton was able to close the gap from 20 seconds to 6 but probably because they were pacing Vettel to save on tires. Vettel, Hamilton, Bottas on the podium. In my opinion, Mercedes should have pitted one car immediately after Vettel. Bringing both in at once was a disaster.

Picked vettel and made some coin, good race.

NASCAR rained out at Bristol rescheduled for Monday at 1pm EDT.

Some rain overnight at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama where Indycar will race at 3PM EDT. Cars were running on rain tires in practice this morning.

After years of having guys who just loved to race and did it into their 50s, we are seeing so many who quit at a much younger age. I suppose they have more money and more opportunity at a broadcast career if they want a good paying job. They can have a race team if they want to stay in the business.

I give Nascar 3 years until massive business plan changes or simply bankruptcy. They can't sell out tracks, TV ratings are brutal and they have lost their top 4 attractions within 2 years (Smoke, Edwards, Gordon and now Earnhardt).

RIP Nascar is right. Brian France is such an idiot. Ruined it for so many people by trying to appeal to new fans. Can't even sell out Bristol!

been saying this for a while. glad someone finally agrees with me.
the next 3-5 years will be very revealing.

I was just thinking about it and I think Junior's exit means there will be nobody left with a rookie year before 2000. That's crazy.

I think Carl quit because he is very pissed with how he got wrecked on a BS restart (caution was bogus) where he was in the lead and looked to be heading for the win and championship. The same happened to Kenseth the weak prior and took him out of the championship. Way too many manufactured cautions to give the illusion of excitement. The new rules are so crazy that some wildcard can swoop in and win the cup basically. I mean Newman almost won the championship a few years ago with no wins, when the new system is trying to avoid exactly that (see Kenseth's championship in 2003).

The guys that are dominating are unlikable (Keselowski, Logano, Johnson etc.). There is no personality to the "new breed drivers either (Stenhouse, Bayne, Larson etc.).

was surprised that Junior came back at all. It appears that he lost the ability or motivation to excel in the sport. He might be bothered by some vertigo. He's worth $300 million so he doesn't need money.

Jeff Gordon is worth $150 million to $200 million depending on the source.

Jimmy Johnson is worth $120 million.

Carl Edwards and Kevin Harvick are worth $70 million.

Danica Patrick is worth 18 million.

The older racers didn't make the big money. Darrel Waltrip is worth $25 million which is more than enough to live on.

Michael Waltrip is worth $35 million.

These drivers can well afford to retire. It might help the sport as lower salaried drivers can be hired but advertisers might not want to fork out money for those drivers.

I think Carl quit because he is very pissed with how he got wrecked on a BS restart (caution was bogus) where he was in the lead and looked to be heading for the win and championship. The same happened to Kenseth the weak prior and took him out of the championship. Way too many manufactured cautions to give the illusion of excitement. The new rules are so crazy that some wildcard can swoop in and win the cup basically. I mean Newman almost won the championship a few years ago with no wins, when the new system is trying to avoid exactly that (see Kenseth's championship in 2003).

The guys that are dominating are unlikable (Keselowski, Logano, Johnson etc.). There is no personality to the "new breed drivers either (Stenhouse, Bayne, Larson etc.).

A car had a flat tire and hit the wall. NASCAR had to throw the caution flag.

Carl himself admitted that he pushed the issue with his block on Logano.

That’s 100 percent on me,” Edwards told his team over the radio.

A car had a flat tire and hit the wall. NASCAR had to throw the caution flag.

Carl himself admitted that he pushed the issue with his block on Logano.

Funny how in the final laps Nascar tried to stretch out an incident that was worse than the one that resulted in Carl's restart wreck and not throw the caution, but they were forced to for safety. There was no safety issue with the one where a guy hit the wall. He got down the track and out of the way.

Funny how in the final laps Nascar tried to stretch out an incident that was worse than the one that resulted in Carl's restart wreck and not throw the caution, but they were forced to for safety. There was no safety issue with the one where a guy hit the wall. He got down the track and out of the way.

People bitch about throwing the first caution which makes NASCAR wait a little longer before calling the next one then people bitch about them not calling the second one sooner. When a car hits the wall, parts often come off and traffic will have to drive through it several times. More likely to throw a yellow if there are more laps left.

Dale Earnhardt lost the Daytona 500 because a chunk of bell housing was left on the track when Rick Wilson lost an engine and no caution was called. Earnhardt was the first car there and cut a tire allowing Derrick Cope to pass him for the win.

It's one of those dammed if you do and dammed if you don't things.

Back