MMA junkie lists Poirier at 30 best UFC fighter all time

Who gives a fuck? Y'all need to leave the basement once in a while.

Well, you've got Nunes twice, so that's one.

Pat Miletich? Jens Pulver? My dude. You are dramatically overvaluing early championships.
Miesha Tate LOLOLOLOLOL ok
Jan Blachowicz? Carla Esparza? Renan Barao? Jesus Christ, dude
Cris Cyborg went 5-1 in the UFC, and her only notable win is Holly Holm
Eddie Alvarez went 4-3-1 in the UFC
Moreno? Figueiredo? Glover Texeria?
RDA had a great career. Inarguably better than Poirier? Lol no
I love Zhang, but to rank her career so far over Poirier is asinine.

You literally just listed a bunch of people who won championships, without any consideration of the depth of the division or the era in which they fought.

Meanwhile, Poirier has two wins over McGregor, two wins over Holloway and a win over Alvarez.

Okay so you're left with 46-47 left then depending on if you leave in RDA. You think Poirier absolutely deserves to take at least one of those 3-4 spots over anybody else who's won the belt, sometimes multiple times, and defended when he never did? Or over other perennial top contenders who couldn't win the belt either like himself like Benavidez, Mendes, Faber, Maia, Chael, Gus, Cerrone, etc?

I'm also not sure why you keep bringing up eras. Poirier's been with the UFC/WEC for 13 years. There's been 10 different champions throughout his weight classes during this time. He's never been able to get there period despite having had plenty of time and different champions to have taken someone out at least once along the way.

What exactly is making Poirier so special that he absolutely needs to be a top 50 guy (let alone the indefensible top 30 this started with)?

Mate using a timeframe longer than Khabib was champion proves the complete opposite of your point that Dustin would've been champion without Khabib.

Otherwise, you know, he'd have been champion before Khabib or after Khabib. Neither of which happened either. Nor at any point in his 13 years with the UFC/WEC.

BW: Cruz, TJ, Barao, Sterling
FLW: DJ, Cejudo, Fig, Moreno

WFW: Cyborg, Nunes
WBW: Ronda, Nunes, Miesha
WFLW: Val
WSW: Joanna, Rose, Weili, Carla

There's 17 fighters right there from the lighter male and female weight classes who are all definitively ahead of Poirier. That's over half the list already and we didn't even use all of the champions who have ever existed there like Garbrandt, Holm, Grasso, Yan, Pena, etc. or even any of the long time top contenders like Benavidez. You think Poirier should make a list but Benavidez can't?

It's a beyond ridiculous notion to ever say Poirier is a top 30 all time.

15 of those 17 are behind Poirier

No issue with it, Dustin has had a great career, beat world class fighters and generally only lost to the best (and Michael Johnson)
Shit, he even lost to Michael Johnson when he looked like a world beater. That shit ended pretty much immediately after the Gaethje fight though.

He's definitely got some of the best MMA adapted boxing of all time.

His style is really cool to watch, looking forward to his next scrap.

I think from now on, if a poster is going to DISAGREE with a fighter being top 5, 10, 20, or 30 or whatever, it should be MANDATORY to post the names you rank above him/her.

here’s my swing at 30 ufc fighters better than poirer

1. Jon Jones
2 gsp
3 Anderson Silva
4 Matt Hughes
5 volkanovski
6 Usman
7 adesanya
8 Cormier
9 khabib
10 Charles Oliveira
11 Mighty Mouse
12 Henry cejudo
13 Francis ngannou
14 Dominick Cruz
15 Jose Aldo
16 max holloway
17 Tyron woodley
18 Robbie lawler
19 Frankie Edgar
20 bj Penn
21 stipe miocic
22 chuck Liddell
23 tito Ortiz
24 Randy couture
25 junior dos santos
26 Cain Velazquez
27 benson Henderson
28 Robert whittaker
29 tj dillashaw
30 lyoto machida

I only included champions btw. I also have Covington, ferguson, and Romero high up for guys who never won the belt.

poirer is top 40 imo
Compelling list. I was included to agree with the 30th ranking until seeing this. Not sure how much thought you put into the order. I think the names I would maybe make an argument for would be Ngannou, Lyoto, Bendo, Lawler and Woodley.

Absolutely in the top 50. Very likely top 40. I don't think I'd have him in the 30s but I can see reasonable arguments. Would really need a deep look at a ton of records.

Compelling list. I was included to agree with the 30th ranking until seeing this. Not sure how much thought you put into the order. I think the names I would maybe make an argument for would be Ngannou, Lyoto, Bendo, Lawler and Woodley.

Absolutely in the top 50. Very likely top 40. I don't think I'd have him in the 30s but I can see reasonable arguments. Would really need a deep look at a ton of records.
My list was not in ranking order, just 30 names I felt were clearly more accomplished than poirer. There’s also numerous ufc champions with 0-1 defenses and major non champions, and I didn’t even include any wmma.

poirer is certainly not in the top 30. 40-50 is debatable though

Mate using a timeframe longer than Khabib was champion proves the complete opposite of your point that Dustin would've been champion without Khabib.

Otherwise, you know, he'd have been champion before Khabib or after Khabib. Neither of which happened either. Nor at any point in his 13 years with the UFC/WEC.

It's a beyond ridiculous notion to ever say Poirier is a top 30 all time.

He hit his prime around the same time as Khabib, he was an unfortunate victim of timing. You can't even refute what I said about him having the best resume at LW during that 4.5 yr span, aside from him losing to Khabib. I see why you have such a ridiculous post count, you just spew non-sense without actually giving a real retort.

Remember that Conor was champ & essentially held up the division before Khabib, Dustin would've/could've been champ during that time period if no Khabib. In fact, Dustin actually was interim champ, so yea, if Khabib wasn't around, Dustin could've been champ. Before you claim Dustin didn't deserve to be interim champ, look at his LW resume in the leadup to it (Alvarez, Gaethje, Pettis). Tony was also interim champ, off a win over Kevin Lee lol. Tony quickly fell off a cliff too career-wise. Khabib himself became champ for beating Iaquinta, again LOL. Even though I do think Khabib is best LW, beating Iaquinta, Tony beating Kevin Lee, Dustin beating Max, beating Max is a better win than Iaquinta & Kevin Lee. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves

Recency bias
No fucking kidding, geez.

I feel like this has turned into a “hey I like Dustin! He’s done a lot!” but that kind of then fails to take into account how many historically high level fighters and champions there have been.

I like Dustin and he’s still fighting so his position could improve but if he were to retire today in 5 years he wouldn’t even be considered top 50.

He hit his prime around the same time as Khabib, he was an unfortunate victim of timing

I like how you're pretending he also never had a FW career where he beat the #1 contender in 2011 or had a #1 contender fight with Conor in 2014. Or a post Khabib career as #1 contender and lost to Charles for the belt then lost to Justin in another #1 contender fight. And that Islam isn't also the same horrible matchup for him that Khabib was.

We have to suddenly pretend he only couldn't make it to the top of the division in 2019.

You can't even refute what I said about him having the best resume at LW during that 4.5 yr span, aside from him losing to Khabib

Why would I refute it? You're literally making my point that he didn't make it to the top before Khabib, during Khabib, or after him.

Your timeline just magically ends in July 2021. Wonder why that is and what happened next. Khabib wasn't champion when Dustin lost another title fight here to Charles.

Remember that Conor was champ & essentially held up the division before Khabib, Dustin would've/could've been champ during that time period if no Khabib

How would Dustin have been champ during this period where Conor was champ when he'd been KO'd by Conor 2 years prior?

He was also getting KO'd by Johnson and going life and death with Eddie here which is why he wasn't getting title shots here either until Tony gave up another fake interim title against a FW of all people and he got it as the backup.

Hey OP, maybe update your thread title. They're up to 25 now.

Hey OP, maybe update your thread title. They're up to 25 now.

I'm pretty scared at how awful this list is going to be with fighters like this so far down already.

I mean I knew it would be awful with Poirier at 30 but wow.

I'm pretty scared at how awful this list is going to be with fighters like this so far down already.

I mean I knew it would be awful with Poirier at 30 but wow.

# 20 Tank Abbott
#15 Juliana Pena

Top 30 LW of all time? Probably makes #15-20

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023/10/ufc-greatest-fighters-dustin-poirier-no-30

I don’t know why this is bothering me, but it’s silly to list him so high. He might be top 50, but that’s a debate. UFC has 12 weight divisions (combined male and female) so if you choose 3 fighters from each one, dp is out. Even if you just skip woman’s 145 and ignore every fighter pre ufc 30 he is out. At best he is all time top 5 @155, and I’m sure that would be a debate. I like the guy and enjoy his fights, but this just annoys me (for no good reason).
I was with you until you started talking about women

I like how you're pretending he also never had a FW career where he beat the #1 contender in 2011 or had a #1 contender fight with Conor in 2014. Or a post Khabib career as #1 contender and lost to Charles for the belt then lost to Justin in another #1 contender fight. And that Islam isn't also the same horrible matchup for him that Khabib was.

We have to suddenly pretend he only couldn't make it to the top of the division in 2019.

Why would I refute it? You're literally making my point that he didn't make it to the top before Khabib, during Khabib, or after him.

Your timeline just magically ends in July 2021. Wonder why that is and what happened next. Khabib wasn't champion when Dustin lost another title fight here to Charles.

How would Dustin have been champ during this period where Conor was champ when he'd been KO'd by Conor 2 years prior?

He was also getting KO'd by Johnson and going life and death with Eddie here which is why he wasn't getting title shots here either until Tony gave up another fake interim title against a FW of all people and he got it as the backup.

I never said anything about his FW career, I actually don't rate his FW career highly. He peaked as the 5th best FW, he was never the #1 FW contender. His career at LW was what I was talking about, he's consistently been 1 of the top LWs. I know you hate him because you're the biggest Conor fan on here, anytime people talk about Khabib or Dustin, you always talk crap.

You said Dustin should've been champ before or after Khabib, I said Dustin's peak also happened around the time Khabib became champ. Conor was the champ before Khabib, Conor never defended his belt (its what Conor always does). Eddie is Conor's best LW win, going life & death with a former LW champ isn't something to be criticized for.

I said if not for Khabib, its possible Dustin would've been champ. Right around the time Dustin won the interim belt, if Khabib was not around, he would've literally been champ. Its literally right there, not even hypothetical. You criticize Dustin for winning interim belt vs Max, but Tony won interim belt off Kevin Lee. Khabib won undisputed belt off Iaquinta. After Conor held up the division, Dustin's win over Max is actually worth more for legacy than Kevin Lee & Iaquinta, don't pretend otherwise.

Bas, Frank, Tito, Jon, DC, Cejudo, Usman, GSP, Aldo, Silva, Chuck, Stipe, Whitakker, Israel, Khabib, DJ, Penn, Cruz, Randy, JDS, Werdum, Hughes, Weidman, Sherk, Benson, Volk, Holloway, Conor, Islam, Amanda, Ronda, Joanna, Weili, Charles, Leon, Sterling, Franklin, Woodley...

Back