MMA junkie lists Poirier at 30 best UFC fighter all time

CrocodileJoe

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023/10/ufc-greatest-fighters-dustin-poirier-no-30

I don’t know why this is bothering me, but it’s silly to list him so high. He might be top 50, but that’s a debate. UFC has 12 weight divisions (combined male and female) so if you choose 3 fighters from each one, dp is out. Even if you just skip woman’s 145 and ignore every fighter pre ufc 30 he is out. At best he is all time top 5 @155, and I’m sure that would be a debate. I like the guy and enjoy his fights, but this just annoys me (for no good reason).

That's retarded. Look how many actual champions there's been in the UFC:

1200px-UFC-Champs.PNG

There's simply no possible way to put Poirier in a top 30 list.

Last edited:
21-7(.750 Win %) in the UFC, in the most talented division(s) the company has had. Ws over world champions; Max 2x, Conor 2x, Eddie, Gaethje, Pettis, Chandler.

Hooker, Green, Duffy, Miller, & CDF also very notable wins.

The .750 win % is pretty substantial given the amount of fights. I guarantee you can't find 30 other fighters with 20+ UFC fights & that high of a win %.

I would also argue that obtaining an interim belt at 155 is much harder than getting an undisputed belt in half of the other divisions.

Then you throw in the amount of finishes & FOTN/Y awards.

No issues here. Fake nice guy Poirier did ok in UFC.

Last edited:
What's the problem exactly?

He is clearly a highly skilled well rounded fighter who has numerous wins over champs and interim champs.

Luck is so much more important than MMA fans are willing to give it credit for. Dustin happened to peak when Khabib and Charles peaked a smidge higher.

All that aside, these lists are SUBJECTIVE.

So what you are saying is that you are upset about someone else's OPINION.

I don't know.
That's just pretty fucking weird to me.

I got no issues with it. He's one of the best non champions to ever do it in the promotion. Better than a number of past champions ever were. Dustin has beaten some of the best in the business. It'd be like Saying Jerome Le Banner wasn't one of the best do it in K1 because he never won a world gp. Despite having KO'd world gp winners.

I don't see a problem here
the value of a fighter its his competition and the LW is very compatitive
“As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another”

21-7(.750 Win %) in the UFC, in the most talented division(s) the company has had. Ws over world champions; Max 2x, Conor 2x, Eddie, Gaethje, Pettis, Chandler.

The .750 win % is pretty substantial given the amount of fights. I guarantee you can't fight 30 other fighters with 20+ UFC fights & that high of a win %.

I would also argue that obtaining an interim belt at 155 is much harder than getting an undisputed belt in half of the other divisions.

Agree. What he achieved is more impressive than a bunch of guys who temporarily grabbed a belt during an ebb in a thinner division.

i really like dustin. unfortunately he choked in many of his biggest moments. i can overlook a few bad losses, but he seems to repeatedly come up short when it matters most. that loss to oliveira in particular is devastating, because oliveira himself is hard to place highly on an all-time list. the competition is fierce. when you look at the big picture, dustin is top 10 all-time at lw, but idk if dustin could even be top 50 over all classes.

He's like the Jon Fitch of LW (obviously more exciting). I rate Fitch fairly highly but nowhere near the top 30 ever in the UFC lol.

It signals balanced opinion not to include strictly modern fighters on an all-time list. People need to be careful how they scale different generations of fighters.

The .750 win % is pretty substantial given the amount of fights. I guarantee you can't find 30 other fighters with 20+ UFC fights & that high of a win %.

"bUt HoW mAnY tItLe DeFeNsEs????"

How is it harder to do when he didn't even beat a fellow 155lber for that belt? There's plenty of guys who could win an interim belt if they got to fight a guy from a weight class below them for it.

Let alone the nonsense comparison of them having to win the undisputed belt instead of simply an interim.

He never even deserved the interim in the first place either. He only got it because Tony said no as he'd already held it and knew it meant nothing. Tony was still ahead of Poirier by any means, it was a completely paper interim belt.

Nothing wrong with that. His resume is incredible and he would have been champion if Khabib didn’t exist.

Dustin's literally been in the UFC longer than Khabib was. He's been here under 10 different champions.

Wtf are you talking about?

Agree. What he achieved is more impressive than a bunch of guys who temporarily grabbed a belt during an ebb in a thinner division.

Never grabbing it once in 13 years with multiple failed attempts is a hell of a lot worse than being able to win it.

Last edited:
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023/10/ufc-greatest-fighters-dustin-poirier-no-30

I don’t know why this is bothering me, but it’s silly to list him so high. He might be top 50, but that’s a debate. UFC has 12 weight divisions (combined male and female) so if you choose 3 fighters from each one, dp is out. Even if you just skip woman’s 145 and ignore every fighter pre ufc 30 he is out. At best he is all time top 5 @155, and I’m sure that would be a debate. I like the guy and enjoy his fights, but this just annoys me (for no good reason).
the only women who should be considered are joanna, ronda, valentina and nunes no one else.

not a huge porier fan myself, but you're absolutely right.

Back