MMA junkie lists Poirier at 30 best UFC fighter all time

It signals balanced opinion not to include strictly modern fighters on an all-time list. People need to be careful how they scale different generations of fighters.

Hell, by my quick count there's been 70 unique undisputed champions across weight classes in the UFC simply since 2011 when Poirier joined.

There's simply no place for Poirier on a top 30 all-time list. It's beyond absurd.

21-7(.750 Win %) in the UFC, in the most talented division(s) the company has had. Ws over world champions; Max 2x, Conor 2x, Eddie, Gaethje, Pettis, Chandler.

It is not the most talended : some of the best fighters in this divsion are fancy brawlers = Chandler, Poirier, Gaethje.

No wonder Dagestan alone managed to dominate the division with its tiny population.

I would also argue that obtaining an interim belt at 155 is much harder than getting an undisputed belt in half of the other divisions.

You're completely delusional.

I think from now on, if a poster is going to DISAGREE with a fighter being top 5, 10, 20, or 30 or whatever, it should be MANDATORY to post the names you rank above him/her.

here’s my swing at 30 ufc fighters better than poirer

1. Jon Jones
2 gsp
3 Anderson Silva
4 Matt Hughes
5 volkanovski
6 Usman
7 adesanya
8 Cormier
9 khabib
10 Charles Oliveira
11 Mighty Mouse
12 Henry cejudo
13 Francis ngannou
14 Dominick Cruz
15 Jose Aldo
16 max holloway
17 Tyron woodley
18 Robbie lawler
19 Frankie Edgar
20 bj Penn
21 stipe miocic
22 chuck Liddell
23 tito Ortiz
24 Randy couture
25 junior dos santos
26 Cain Velazquez
27 benson Henderson
28 Robert whittaker
29 tj dillashaw
30 lyoto machida

I only included champions btw. I also have Covington, ferguson, and Romero high up for guys who never won the belt.

poirer is top 40 imo

What about Leon Edwards and Islam ? Your forgot a lot of legit names.

Islam is already far above Poirier.
He is not lol he only has 2 significant wins in the ufc against Charles and Volk. Edwards has only 1 title defense.

I omitted dozens of ufc champions with only a single title defense, although you could argue most of them are more accomplished than poirer who never won a title lol.

also worth mentioning Islam Makachev is gonna have a better career than poirer at this rate so it’s basically a moot point.

He is not lol he only has 2 significant wins in the ufc against Charles and Volk. Edwards has only 1 title defense.

Islam became the champion. For this very simple fact he's already above Poirier because Poirier never managed to do it, despite being in the division since a very long time.

Nobody in his right mind thinks Poirier is a better fighter than Islam.

As for Leon Edwards, he became a champion too + beat the former highest ranked UFC fighter for a long period 2 times. He's obviously far above Poirier, it's not even comparable.

Dave menne has become ufc champion. Nobody has him above poirer.

forest griffin was ufc champion. No one will say he’s better than poirer.

Nicco montano was ufc champion.

GDR was ufc was ufc champion.

sorry but there’s no way a single title puts them above Dustin poirer. He has tremendous longetivity and skill set that evolved over many years.

islam and edwards just arrived to the top. If they lose their next fights, they’ll lose tons of popularity as well.

whatever I don’t even want to defend poirer not crazy about him but you can’t just declare the new guy more accomplished than one whose been successful at the top for many many years

Griffin is from the past, nobody cares.

Islam rules the LW division in modern MMA.

As for women...

The article is “30 greatest ufc fighters of all time”

So yes the past DOES matter.

Current fighters who hold a title > current fighters who never held a title.

As for Leon Edwards : champion + only 2 losses in the UFC by decision + win streak of 11 victories + beat one of the most dominant champion in modern MMA 2 times, yet you think Poirier has a word to say...

Sure he was a good fighter.

Top 30 of all time, get out of here.

There are a ton of names you have to put in there. All of the champs and then even names we forgot about like Royce Gracie.

Current fighters who hold a title > current fighters who never held a title.

As for Leon Edwards : champion + only 2 losses in the UFC by decision + win streak of 11 victories + beat one of the most dominant champion in modern MMA 2 times, yet you think Poirier has a word to say...
You need to mature yer mindset on analyzing achievements in mma.

having said that, I concede snd acknowledge that Islam and edwards should be ranked above poirer. I also foresee success in their future to make the argument more favorable for them going forward.

Poirer was out massed in both his title fights and has shown vulnerability to being taken down in multiple ufc fights. That’s enough to lower him beneath islam and edwards

Sure he was a good fighter.

Top 30 of all time, get out of here.

There are a ton of names you have to put in there. All of the champs and then even names we forgot about like Royce Gracie.
Royce Gracie is such a tough one to measure. He decimated the ufc order early days but the game was very unknown back then. He’s still highly accomplished and a pioneer whose very influential

sorry but there’s no way a single title puts them above Dustin poirer. He has tremendous longetivity and skill set that evolved over many years.

islam and edwards just arrived to the top. If they lose their next fights, they’ll lose tons of popularity as well.

whatever I don’t even want to defend poirer not crazy about him but you can’t just declare the new guy more accomplished than one whose been successful at the top for many many years

There's been 70 champions since Poirier joined the UFC in 2011, let alone all the ones before that.

There's been 10 alone in the divisions he's been a part of, let alone all the ones before that.

He's directly failed to win the belt multiple times and lost multiple top contender fights.

Poirier doesn't belong anywhere near a top 30 list.

Back