MMA junkie lists Poirier at 30 best UFC fighter all time

30 seems fair. That's not top 10 or anything. He has a ton of quality wins. Just never won the big one. He'd probably crack top 20 if he did.

That's retarded.

1200px-UFC-Champs.PNG
I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing.

21-7(.750 Win %) in the UFC, in the most talented division(s) the company has had. Ws over world champions; Max 2x, Conor 2x, Eddie, Gaethje, Pettis, Chandler.

Hooker, Green, Duffy, Miller, & CDF also very notable wins.

The .750 win % is pretty substantial given the amount of fights. I guarantee you can't find 30 other fighters with 20+ UFC fights & that high of a win %.

I would also argue that obtaining an interim belt at 155 is much harder than getting an undisputed belt in half of the other divisions.

Then you throw in the amount of finishes & FOTN/Y awards.

No issues here. Fake nice guy Poirier did ok in UFC.

Gotta add some hater perspective for ya'll.

Dustin has 2 wins over the shell of Conor. Conor dusted him and ended Dustin's run at the featherweight title when Dustin had more UFC fights and more fights overall than Conor even though both were young. His best win is Max who is a 145er or Justin in 2018 who he got ethered by subsequently. Dustin's names on his resume look great until you look at when he fought them and see their average age was like 36 and in the midst of fighting him they were all fighting .500 and Dustin beat them after they began degrading or Dustin has a magical death touch that makes people suddenly lose all of their fights from getting decisioned by him.

Anybody Dustin fought when they were actually still competitive near the top of their division (Johnson, Conor, Justin, Khabib, Charles) he got smashed and knocked out x 3 and submitted x 2.

For example: Calling Bobby Green a notable win, but he fought Green in 2016. From 2014-2019 Bobby Green was 1-5-1 and in his 30th fight.
He beat Hooker in 2020, who is 4-4 from 2020 to present and was in his 30th fight.
He decisioned Miller in 2017 who is 8-8 since and was in his 38th fight.
He beat Alvarez in 2018, from 2016-2021 Alvarez was 4-4-2 and was in his 36th fight.
He beat Pettis in 2017 who was 2-4 in his last 6 at the time of the fight, and from 2017-2021 was 6-10.
He beat Chandler in 2022 when Chandler was 36, in his 31st professional fight and is 2-3 in his last 5.

Justin was a good win, but the version of Justin he got a W over is not the same one that sent him to the netherrealm. Just happens that this time it wasn't a degraded commodity, he was an up and comer.

Dustin is the master of beating former greats who are at 70% of their former self with tons of high mileage at the top of the division, imho.

Without going threw every fighter and looking at rankings I'd say 30-50 is probably where he should be. He had a hell of a career. Tbh any era pre-khabib he'd probably be viewed as the goat at 155lb.

You can use MMA math or use not winning a title against him but it doesn't discredit those amazing wars he won and how he did it.

BJ Penn defended the LW title 3 times. Frankie Edgar defended the LW title 3 times. Benson Henderson defended the LW title 3 times. Jens Pulver defended the LW title 2 times. Sherk, Pettis and RDA both defended once. Islam has defended the title once. Charles defended the title once (against Dustin!!!!!!!!).

In what universe is Dustin a LW GOAT when he has never touched the title belt, God forbid beat an actual title contender in their prime like any of those guys did/have? This isn't MMA math it's just facts.

Last edited:
That's retarded.

1200px-UFC-Champs.PNG
Too many people ignoring this, even if you leave out the women AND the pioneers (Royce, Severn, etc) top 30 means you’re not only putting Dustin over champions, but you’d have to put him over at least a few champions with multiple defenses. That’s crazy.

I need to see rest of the list before I know if its good or bad placement.

As for champions that I would leave behind him: Machida, Franklin, Griffin, Serra, Tanner etc. Out of current champs Islam, Leon, Jones and Volk Id have ahead of him. Everyone else behind.

Dustin's literally been in the UFC longer than Khabib was. He's been here under 10 different champions.

Wtf are you talking about?

Between Feb 2017-July 2021, Dustin was undefeated except the Khabib loss. Guys he beat who were ranked at the time of the fight or former champs:

Conor 2x
Hooker
Max
Alvarez
Gaethje
Pettis
Miller

During that 4.5 yr stretch, Dustin had the best resume of any LW during those 4.5 yrs, His resume during that 4.5 yr period is even better than Khabib, Tony, Conor, Alvarez, Gaethje, Oliveira

Between Feb 2017-July 2021, Dustin was undefeated except the Khabib loss. Guys he beat who were ranked at the time of the fight or former champs:

Conor 2x
Hooker
Max
Alvarez
Gaethje
Pettis
Miller

During that 4.5 yr stretch, Dustin had the best resume of any LW during those 4.5 yrs, His resume during that 4.5 yr period is even better than Khabib, Tony, Conor, Alvarez, Gaethje, Oliveira

What a way to chop up history. I love reposting haterade.

He beat Conor who was barely even an MMA fighter anymore, and Conor smoked him when he was actually serious about MMA when he was less experienced than Dustin.
Max is a featherweight.
he fought Green in 2016. From 2014-2019 Bobby Green was 1-5-1 and in his 30th fight.
He beat Hooker in 2020, who is 4-4 from 2020 to present and was in his 30th fight.
He beat Alvarez in 2018, from 2016-2021 Alvarez was 4-4-2 and was in his 36th fight.
He beat Pettis in 2017 who was 2-4 in his last 6 at the time of the fight, and from 2017-2021 was 6-10.
He beat Chandler in 2022 when Chandler was 36, in his 31st professional fight and is 2-3 in his last 5.

Justin was a great win, but notably diminished after realizing Justin 2.0 was significantly better than the best version of Dustin that we'll ever see.

UFC has 8 weight divisions, with FW, BW and FLW being way younger
HW
LHW
MW
WW
LW
FW
BW
FLW

30:8 = 3,75
So you have him at 5 and they have him at ~4. Big problem I understand

Women's division don't count for shit

and Conor smoked him when he was actually serious about MMA when he was less experienced than Dustin.

Conor is older, started his MMA career earlier, started training earlier and had more of an amateur career in boxing.
Your argument is Poirier had 2 more mma fights? 4 arguments vs 1

What a way to chop up history. I love reposting haterade.

He beat Conor who was barely even an MMA fighter anymore, and Conor smoked him when he was actually serious about MMA when he was less experienced than Dustin.
Max is a featherweight.
he fought Green in 2016. From 2014-2019 Bobby Green was 1-5-1 and in his 30th fight.

Justin was a great win, but notably diminished after realizing Justin 2.0 was significantly better than the best version of Dustin that we'll ever see.

You can use this type of logic to destroy anyone's resume. What LWs defeated guys who looked perfectly clean in hindsight? I mean are you seriously saying that him beating up Max Holloway doesn't mean anything because he was the top fighter in the weight class below lol.

He beat McGregor when he was definitely an MMA fighter...their first fight happened before either guy was even in their prime.

Like your argument is really silly. OH HE BEAT THIS GUY IN 2018, BUT IN 2023 HES NOT GOOD.

He's easily one of the best LW's in the UFC's history. That's a no brainer.

I will quote Eminem to comment on DP: Always the bridesmaid, never "the bride, hey!"

Every champ is above him because they managed to get a belt while he struggled when it was important not to!

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023/10/ufc-greatest-fighters-dustin-poirier-no-30

I don’t know why this is bothering me, but it’s silly to list him so high. He might be top 50, but that’s a debate. UFC has 12 weight divisions (combined male and female) so if you choose 3 fighters from each one, dp is out. Even if you just skip woman’s 145 and ignore every fighter pre ufc 30 he is out. At best he is all time top 5 @155, and I’m sure that would be a debate. I like the guy and enjoy his fights, but this just annoys me (for no good reason).
How do you compare Poirier to someone like Brock Lesnar?
Poirier never became undisputed champion, but he fought the best of the best over a long period of time and beat most of them. Incredible resume.
Brock, on the other hand not only became undisputed champion, but defended his belt twice.
But he was only 4-3 in the UFC and was gifted his title shot after going 1-1.
I guess that's why we make lists, to debate them.
<5>
In my opinion, Dustin is undoubtedly the better fighter, but Brock is more decorated.
So, how do you rank that?
<Fedor23>

AS
GSP
Fedor
Jones
Khabib

Cain
Lesnar
BJ Penn
DC
Couture

Chuck Liddell
Rampage
Crocop
Wanderlei
Henderson

Matt Hughes
Royce
Stipe
Aldo
DJ

Nogeuira
Holloway
Usman
Vitor
Volk

Izzy
Cejudo
Ken Shamrock
Frank Shamrock
Ngannou

30 fighters off the top of my head, who are you subbing Poirier in for?
Nice list.
You must study MMA. I couldn't come up with a top 30 like that off the cuff.

So what you’re telling me is that the heavier you are, the more power you have… I didn’t know this

And the more you can lose by any mistake or a lucky punch, hence why it's very difficult to be dominant in this division.

But i got it, it's easy because "Ciryl Gane has no ground game" <seedat>

Back