MMA junkie lists Poirier at 30 best UFC fighter all time

No fucking kidding, geez.

I feel like this has turned into a “hey I like Dustin! He’s done a lot!” but that kind of then fails to take into account how many historically high level fighters and champions there have been.

I like Dustin and he’s still fighting so his position could improve but if he were to retire today in 5 years he wouldn’t even be considered top 50.
I tend to agree, and that's with huge respect for Poirier -- I just don't quite consider him on that level. I'd say he's a touch short though -- he has 2 big wins over Conor which put him in the mainstream as well as many other phenomenal wins, but I just feel he couldn't quite fight his way to the top; just a touch short. His defensive wrestling/grappling is what kept him short of the top in my opinion. He certainly has done a lot with the skills he has though. His recent win over Chandler, for example, was incredible considering how much of a stylistic nightmare Chandler was for him.

I already told you what the number of tittle defenses mean to me from back when UFC didnt have the money to hire the top talent in the sport.

Tito beat some legit guys you mentioned, mostly by decision, some of them controversial.
Porier beat about as many champions, usually in more emphatic fashion.
So yeah, to me Poirier is above

What a way to chop up history. I love reposting haterade.

He beat Conor who was barely even an MMA fighter anymore, and Conor smoked him when he was actually serious about MMA when he was less experienced than Dustin.
Max is a featherweight.
he fought Green in 2016. From 2014-2019 Bobby Green was 1-5-1 and in his 30th fight when he fought Dustin.
He beat Hooker in 2020, who is 4-4 from 2020 to present and was in his 30th fight.
He decisioned Miller in 2017 who is 8-8 since and was in his 38th fight.
He beat Alvarez in 2018, from 2016-2021 Alvarez was 4-4-2 and was in his 36th fight.
He beat Pettis in 2017 who was 2-4 in his last 6 at the time of the fight, and from 2017-2021 was 6-10.
He beat Chandler in 2022 when Chandler was 36, in his 31st professional fight and is 2-3 in his last 5.

Justin was a great win, but notably diminished after realizing Justin 2.0 was significantly better than the best version of Dustin that we'll ever see.

Absolutely hogwash to cite Dustin "beating champions" without context or nuance. Come on man. Dustin beat the haphazard haggardly versions of everyone he faced, he never beat anyone in their prime -- he got dusted by them when he did.

Tito beating Chuck should not be something we adulate on his resume, should we?

Dustin beat the haphazard haggardly versions of everyone he faced, he never beat anyone in their prime -- he got dusted by them when he did.

He beat prime Max and Gaethje. Probably Conor as well. He beat Hooker during his best run. He beat Alvarez 6 months after his win over Gaethje.

He beat prime Max and Gaethje. Probably Conor as well. He beat Hooker during his best run. He beat Alvarez 6 months after his win over Gaethje.
???

He beat Conor who was barely even an MMA fighter anymore, and Conor smoked him when he was actually serious about MMA when he was less experienced than Dustin.
Max is a featherweight.
he fought Green in 2016. From 2014-2019 Bobby Green was 1-5-1 and in his 30th fight when he fought Dustin.
He beat Hooker in 2020, who is 4-4 from 2020 to present and was in his 30th fight.
He decisioned Miller in 2017 who is 8-8 since and was in his 38th fight.
He beat Alvarez in 2018, from 2016-2021 Alvarez was 4-4-2 and was in his 36th fight.
He beat Pettis in 2017 who was 2-4 in his last 6 at the time of the fight, and from 2017-2021 was 6-10.
He beat Chandler in 2022 when Chandler was 36, in his 31st professional fight and is 2-3 in his last 5.

Justin was legit, but Justin ethered him in the rematch when he wasn't just a punch drunk meat head.

Dustin has never beat an elite 155er in their prime. He has been decimated every single time he fought anyone of consequence and has wins over zombies.

Justin: KO'ed
Charles: Submitted
Khabib: submitted
Johnson: KO'ed
Conor: KO'ed

None of this to say he isn't good but he is not top 30 lol

Absolutely hogwash to cite Dustin "beating champions" without context or nuance. Come on man. Dustin beat the haphazard haggardly versions of everyone he faced, he never beat anyone in their prime -- he got dusted by them when he did.

Tito beating Chuck should not be something we adulate on his resume, should we?

Dustin didnt beat "2.0" version of Justin but Tito did of Wanderlei? The bias is strong. To even compare it with 50 years old Chuck is just ridiculous. Step up your game

Poirier is in the mix with other guys contending for such spot. Im not even saying he is in my top30 but he is up there

Back