MMA junkie lists Poirier at 30 best UFC fighter all time

eh, I have no issues with it, going past a top 10-15 overall is way too hard because of the amount of fighters the UFC has had in time, Dustin has beaten a lot of great fighters and imo is the best UFC fighter to never have a real belt in any major promotion

eh, I have no issues with it, going past a top 10-15 overall is way too hard because of the amount of fighters the UFC has had in time, Dustin has beaten a lot of great fighters and imo is the best UFC fighter to never have a real belt in any major promotion

Here's 30 right here.

BW: Cruz, TJ, Barao, Sterling
FLW: DJ
WBW: Ronda, Nunes
WFLW: Val
WSW: Joanna
FW: Aldo, Volk, Holloway
LW: Khabib, Bendo, BJ, Charles
WW: GSP, Hughes, Usman, Woodley
MW: Silva, Weidman, Izzy
LWH: Jones, Chuck, Machida, Cormier
HW: Couture, Stipe, Ngannou

Without even including a ton of other people like Cejudo, Tito, Frankie, Whittaker, Lawler, Franklin, Cain, Sylvia, Brock, and countless others.

Who you kicking out to include Poirier instead? And if Poirier can be in why can't Benavidez? He's got even more great wins without ever being able to win the title.

I've literally listed 60 people off the top of my head who are above him which is double what's even being discussed. I'll whittle it down to 30 off the top of my head too though if that makes you happy:

FLW: DJ
WBW: Ronda, Nunes
WSW: Joanna
FW: Aldo, Volk, Holloway
LW: Khabib, Bendo, BJ, Charles
WW: GSP, Hughes, Usman, Woodley
MW: Silva, Weidman, Izzy
LWH: Jones, Chuck, Machida, Cormier
HW: Couture, Stipe, Ngannou

Please, let's go ahead and see your top 30 you think Poirier somehow belongs with.

I would just not mix men and women in an all-time list, just like nobody mixes any female with Jordan or Bryant nor Messi or Cristiano nor Floyd or Tyson in their respective sports.

So I'd change those 4 women and include 4 men where Poirier, apart from Frankie Edgar of course, has a case

Tito had 5 title defenses and wins over wand, Belfort, griffin and more. He’s definitely over poirer, sorry

I already told you what the number of tittle defenses mean to me from back when UFC didnt have the money to hire the top talent in the sport.

Tito beat some legit guys you mentioned, mostly by decision, some of them controversial.
Porier beat about as many champions, usually in more emphatic fashion.
So yeah, to me Poirier is above

I would also argue that obtaining an interim belt at 155 is much harder than getting an undisputed belt in half of the other divisions.
one second... how do you make this argument?

since 2008... LW has had the most champions of any divisions... 10 legitimate and 3 interim for 13 champions... that would make it the easiest not the hardest right? since 2008 only 6 WW champions have existed... I get the argument about competition being good or something? At MW there have been 9.. and thats including GSP... the way I see it... its much harder to get the MW or WW belt than the LW belt...

I want to see your argument for getting a disputed LW belt is MUCH HARDER than getting the undisputed belt at WW...

unless you are playing a semantical game in which it is harder for anyone to get ANY interim belt than an undisputed belt as there statistically are much less opportunities for an interim belt than the actual belt...

then you would just be an ass.

Last edited:
I would just not mix men and women in an all-time list.
So I'd change those 4 women and include 4 men where Poirier, apart from Frankie Edgar of course, has a case

Disresgarding even all the other champions I'd include over Poirier if we're opening space by not including women, which yes includes Edgar among those potentially too IMO, why exactly does Poirier have a better case than someone like Benavidez? Benavidez has even more wins and likewise never could win the title.

one second... how do you make this argument?

since 2008... LW has had the most champions of any divisions... 10 legitimate and 3 interim for 13 champions... that would make it the easiest not the hardest right? since 2008 only 6 WW champions have existed... I get the argument about competition being good or something?

I want to see your argument for getting a disputed LW belt is MUCH HARDER than getting the undisputed belt at WW...

unless you are playing a semantical game in which it is harder for anyone to get ANY interim belt than an undisputed belt as there statistically are much less opportunities for an interim belt than the actual belt...

then you would just be an ass.

The only LW champion in UFC history who couldn't successfully defend their belt is Eddie. Conor never tried to yes, but Eddie did and is the only one in all of UFC history who couldn't get a single defence.

Meanwhile every other division except WFW has plenty of champions who lost their first defence.

HW: Coleman, Couture, Cain, Werdum
LHW: Couture x 2, Vitor, Forrest, Rashad, Shogun, Glover
MW: Menne, Tanner, Rockhold, Whittaker, Pereira, Izzy
WW: Newton, GSP, Serra, Hendricks
FW: Aldo
BW: Garbrandt, Yan
FLW: Moreno x 2, Fig
WBW: Holm, Tate, Pena
WSW: Carla x 2, Andrade

And that's not even including all the other champions who were stripped/vacated and didn't lose their belts from losses so a new champion had to come in and they never got it back. Or even talking about how the LW defence record is only 3 because the belt changes hands so frequently unlike in other divisions which have plenty of people with more than 3 defences.

LW being the hardest division is completely made up.

Last edited:
The only LW champion in UFC history who couldn't successfully defend their belt is Eddie. Conor never tried to yes, but Eddie did and is the only one in all of UFC history who couldn't get a single defence.

Meanwhile every other division except WFW has plenty of champions who lost their first defence.

HW: Coleman, Couture, Cain, Werdum
LHW: Couture x 2, Vitor, Forrest, Rashad, Shogun, Glover, Jiri
MW: Menne, Tanner, Rockhold, Whittaker, Pereira, Izzy
WW: Newton, GSP, Serra, Hendricks
FW: Aldo
BW: Garbrandt, Yan
FLW: Moreno x 2, Fig
WBW: Holm, Tate, Pena
WSW: Carla x 2, Andrade

And that's not even including all the other champions who were stripped/vacated and didn't lose their belts from losses so a new champion had to come in. Or even talking about how the defence record there is only 3 because the belt's hands change so frequently unlike in other divisions which have plenty of people with more than 3 defences.

LW being the hardest division is completely made up.
I always wondered why people said that even... you get this whole thing about how THE AVERAGE MAN ON PLANET EARTH IS 5 ft 7 170 pounds or some crap... that isn't even LW for one its smaller... and for 2... thats the average man not average athlete so it is a useless point..

He's been competing in the most stacked division in UFC history along with Khabib and Charles Oliviera. Fight Matrix has him as the 4th greatest lightweight of all time.

So stacked that Khabib destroyed all of his opponents without any bruise <seedat>

I already told you what the number of tittle defenses mean to me from back when UFC didnt have the money to hire the top talent in the sport.

Tito beat some legit guys you mentioned, mostly by decision, some of them controversial.
Porier beat about as many champions, usually in more emphatic fashion.
So yeah, to me Poirier is above
Fair enough, I despise Tito anyway lol.

Disresgarding even all the other champions I'd include over Poirier if we're opening space by not including women, which yes includes Edgar among those potentially too IMO, why exactly does Poirier have a better case than someone like Benavidez? Benavidez has even more wins and likewise never could win the title.

Yeah Benavidez has a case. But its not like takes Poirier out of the discussion. Both have a case over each other.

He's not in the top 50.
That is a wild and largely indefensible hot take. If you can provide a list of 50 UFC fighters who have had greater careers than Dustin Poirier, I will be shocked.

I foresee crickets.

That is a wild and largely indefensible hot take. If you can provide a list of 50 UFC fighters who have had greater careers than Dustin Poirier, I will be shocked.

I foresee crickets.

FLW: DJ, Cejudo, Fig, Moreno
FW: Aldo, Volk, Holloway, Conor
LW: Khabib, Bendo, Frankie, BJ, Charles, Jens, RDA, Eddie
WW: GSP, Hughes, Usman, Miletech, Lawler, Woodley
MW: Silva, Franklin, Weidman, Izzy, Whittaker
LWH: Jones, Chuck, Tito, Shamrock, Couture, Rampage, Shogun, Machida, Cormier, Jan, Glover
HW: Couture, Sylvia, Mir, Arlovski, Brock, Cain, JDS, Stipe, Ngannou
WFW: Cyborg, Nunes
WBW: Ronda, Nunes, Miesha
WSW: Joanna, Rose, Weili, Carla

Here's 60 without him. Or plenty of other champions and top contenders.

Let's see who you think Dustin belongs with.

FLW: DJ, Cejudo, Fig, Moreno
FW: Aldo, Volk, Holloway, Conor
LW: Khabib, Bendo, Frankie, BJ, Charles, Jens, RDA, Eddie
WW: GSP, Hughes, Usman, Miletech, Lawler, Woodley
MW: Silva, Franklin, Weidman, Izzy, Whittaker
LWH: Jones, Chuck, Tito, Shamrock, Couture, Rampage, Shogun, Machida, Cormier, Jan, Glover
HW: Couture, Sylvia, Mir, Arlovski, Brock, Cain, JDS, Stipe, Ngannou
WFW: Cyborg, Nunes
WBW: Ronda, Nunes, Miesha
WSW: Joanna, Rose, Weili, Carla

Here's 60 without him. Or plenty of other champions and top contenders.

Let's see who you think Dustin belongs with.
Yeah the only problem with that list is all the people who definitely did not have better UFC careers than Dustin Poirier

Yeah the only problem with that list is all the people who definitely did not have better UFC careers than Dustin Poirier

You seem to be missing examples. You only need 11 to get rid of to get to 49 where you think you can slot Dustin in for 50. Let alone 30 like the article claims he should be at.

You're saying it's not that hard so let's see your list.

You seem to be missing examples. You only need 11 to get rid of to get to 49 where you think you can slot Dustin in for 50. Let alone 30 like the article claims he should be at.

You're saying it's not that hard so let's see your list.
Well, you've got Nunes twice, so that's one.

Pat Miletich? Jens Pulver? My dude. You are dramatically overvaluing early championships.
Miesha Tate LOLOLOLOLOL ok
Jan Blachowicz? Carla Esparza? Renan Barao? Jesus Christ, dude
Cris Cyborg went 5-1 in the UFC, and her only notable win is Holly Holm
Eddie Alvarez went 4-3-1 in the UFC
Moreno? Figueiredo? Glover Texeria?
RDA had a great career. Inarguably better than Poirier? Lol no
I love Zhang, but to rank her career so far over Poirier is asinine.

You literally just listed a bunch of people who won championships, without any consideration of the depth of the division or the era in which they fought.

Meanwhile, Poirier has two wins over McGregor, two wins over Holloway and a win over Alvarez.

Well, you've got Nunes twice, so that's one.

Pat Miletich? Jens Pulver? My dude. You are dramatically overvaluing early championships.
Miesha Tate LOLOLOLOLOL ok
Jan Blachowicz? Carla Esparza? Renan Barao? Jesus Christ, dude
Cris Cyborg went 5-1 in the UFC, and her only notable win is Holly Holm
Eddie Alvarez went 4-3-1 in the UFC
Moreno? Figueiredo? Glover Texeria?
RDA had a great career. Inarguably better than Poirier? Lol no
I love Zhang, but to rank her career so far over Poirier is asinine.

You literally just listed a bunch of people who won championships, without any consideration of the depth of the division or the era in which they fought.

Meanwhile, Poirier has two wins over McGregor, two wins over Holloway and a win over Alvarez.

The guy just copy-paste simpleton, decontextualized stats.
I actually believe he is a bot at this point

Back