Crime Millennial Couple Bikes Through Tajikistan Posts ‘Humans Are Kind’...They Were Killed

You contradicted yourself because you have an agenda. That's fine. We all have agendas when we post here.

But your agenda in this thread is to deliberately sully the memory of two young people who were brutally murdered by terrorists. You're a genuine piece of garbage and I know this is the internet and we're all just posturing and shit, but you really need to take a look in the mirror and figure out what went wrong to lead you to where you are.

They seemed like dirty hippies to me. Definitely didn't have jobs. In need of helicopter rides.

<-------(Finally understands Trump supporters. They are all just trolling)

This is an inaccurate comparison.
Tajikstan isn't Norwood park. It is not a known dangerous area. This is the FIRST time a foreigner has been killed

You, and others in this thread assumed it was a dangerous, ISIS shithole country, when it isn't.

Reading the article, or at bare minimum, listening to the people in here that actually did do the reading would've saved you lot from looking like giant assholes.

It was very obvious that the original article posted here was wrtiten by some right wing twat with a bias and agenda. Why did he label the article as "millennials get killed in ISIS territory?" Why is he telling us they are vegan? Why did he misuse the quotes from their blog? He was obviously trying to paint the picture of "stupid, snowflake, crazy liberals" for a right wing audience

No, I assume the border of Afghanistan, a country that has been a active war zone for almost 2 decades is a dangerous area.

If they were indeed on the border, they were fucking dumb, and won a stupid prize.

If that specific point that the media has reported is wrong, and they were just on a highway that goes into Afghanistan, where normal westerners go all the time, without guides, that is a different story.

They seemed like dirty hippies to me. Definitely didn't have jobs. In need of helicopter rides.

<-------(Finally understands Trump supporters. They are all just trolling)

Man.

I've been on this site since I was a teenager. I can't tell if I'm just getting old and ornery or if the people joining this place in recent years are just scum. Even five years ago, I feel like very few posters would have laughed at young people being killed by terrorists. Are they setting up Sherdog WR access at prisons now?

Man.

I've been on this site since I was a teenager. I can't tell if I'm just getting old and ornery or if the people joining this place in recent years are just scum. Even five years ago, I feel like very few posters would have laughed at young people being killed by terrorists. Are they setting up Sherdog WR access at prisons now?

I don't know man. This place still doesn't seem as mean as when flaming was allowed. Place was fucking brutal back then.

I get where your coming from, I do. Most of the time I would probably agree, but this story is too ridiculous for me to take seriously.

for people who want the actual story, instead of just propaganda, here is this man's actual blog. It's haunting.

http://www.simplycycling.org/blog/2017/1/10/10-pre-trip-worries

[ 10 ] Something goes terribly wrong.
Perhaps the greatest fear is the most immediate and the most physical. This isn't the first adventure I've taken that those I know would deem risky. But those past adventures were always shorter: three months here, two months there, sometimes on foot and sometimes on scooter and sometimes by car or bus or train, but always pretty close to civilization and needed supplies and a return home.

This will not be one of those adventures. Biking around the world is far safer than you might think (as it turns out, the world is a beautifully friendly place on average), but there's still plenty of inherent risk (deviation from that average). Over the tens of thousands of kilometers we're likely to travel, it only takes one mistake—a hungry animal, a wild dog, a distracted driver, an angry individual, a slippery patch of ice—for this grand adventure to become a great disaster, one with painfully intimate consequences.

I'm comfortable assuming that risk for myself, but this time I'm not traveling by myself. When you love someone, you want to keep them safe, yet when that person exists in a great big unpredictable world, it's impossible to keep them totally safe. I worry about something happening and not being able to stop it from happening, or not being able to do anything once it does happen, and that's not just a worry; it's a terrifying fear that outweighs all the preceding doubts and dread put together.

Things are sometimes scary, but things are usually okay.
These are not reasons to avoid an adventure. Risk is the singular inherent quality in adventure, and so without risk—without fear of that risk—there is no adventure. I write about these fears not to talk myself out of this trip, nor to talk anyone else out of having an adventure (seriously, go do it), but to catalog what I'm feeling and what I'm fearing so that, six months or a year or two years from now, from a place in the world I can't even begin to predict, I can look back on this list and smile at how everything around me is wonderful and beautiful and totally okay, and how embarking on this adventure—despite the risk—was probably the best decision we've ever made.

'Til then.

No, I assume the border of Afghanistan, a country that has been a active war zone for almost 2 decades is a dangerous area.

If they were indeed on the border, they were fucking dumb, and won a stupid prize.

If that specific point that the media has reported is wrong, and they were just on a highway that goes into Afghanistan, where normal westerners go all the time, without guides, that is a different story.
Afghanistan shares a border with 6 countries, one of those countries being China. It is not a small border. Afghanistan isn't a populous place. ISIS isn't a group with mass resources and visibility. They obviously are not active at all points, and thus there are zones that were deemed safe.

The Tajikstan border is mostly mountainous desolate terrain. It is not an area with a known terrorist presence, and the country of Tajikstan are starkly against any sort of radical Islam. They actively stamp it out in their own country. Other tourists go there. There are bike tours. First time this has ever happened...but..not a sad story...these people were just morons.
<SelenaWow>
But keep talking about winning stupid prizes when you can't even read up on what you're attempting to argue about

I don't know man. This place still doesn't seem as mean as when flaming was allowed. Place was fucking brutal back then.

I get where your coming from, I do. Most of the time I would probably agree, but this story is too ridiculous for me to take seriously.

It's not a ridiculous story. The same exact thing happened in NYC earlier this year. A young couple is dead. Their parents will have to bury them and it won't be open casket because their bodies were blasted by a car and stabbed up.

I'm done with this thread.

Agreed. I find this thread so disturbing. We're all gonna die, and no matter how hard we work and how much good we do in life, we have no control over how we will be remembered. The possibility that these two kids will be remembered as idiots because of fake news, instead of being remembered as lively young victims of terrorism, just like any others, absolutely crushes my heart.

It's even worse. In 200 years time, the most remarkable people of our time will be forgotten. Basically nothing you or I are capable of doing, will stand the test of time.
It's not a ridiculous story. The same exact thing happened in NYC earlier this year. A young couple is dead. Their parents will have to bury them and it won't be open casket because their bodies were blasted by a car and stabbed up.

I'm done with this thread.

Yeah, sorry dude, if you want to get on your high horse, join me in the America brings freedom to 44 children in Yemen thread.

Far worse attrocities in the world to get worked up over then a couple of yuppies getting killed by ISIS.

Afghanistan shares a border with 6 countries, one of those countries being China. It is not a small border. Afghanistan isn't a populous place. ISIS isn't a group with mass resources and visibility. They obviously are not active at all points, and thus there are zones that were deemed safe.

The Tajikstan border is mostly mountainous desolate terrain. It is not an area with a known terrorist presence, and the country of Tajikstan are starkly against any sort of radical Islam. They actively stamp it out in their own country. Other tourists go there. There are bike tours. First time this has ever happened...but..not a sad story...these people were just morons.
<SelenaWow>
But keep talking about winning stupid prizes when you can't even read up on what you're attempting to argue about

Look, im not willing to argue with you unless you can show me exactly where they were killed. I either agree or disagree with you based on this info. If you want to change my mind, start there.

The border area between China and Afghanistan is also highly dangerous. China has deployed 1,000's of troops to secure the area FYI.

Look, im not willing to argue with you unless you can show me exactly where they were killed. I either agree or disagree with you based on this info. If you want to change my mind, start there.

The border area between China and Afghanistan is also highly dangerous. China has deployed 1,000's of troops to secure the area FYI.
"Far worse attrocities in the world to get worked up over then a couple of yuppies getting killed by ISIS."
{<doc}

I've wasted enough time being civil with your lazy ass. Do your own research.
I'm done.

I'll save you the time and effort and just write your reply for you
"Derp derp, lulz go on and cry triggered snowflake"

"Far worse attrocities in the world to get worked up over then a couple of yuppies getting killed by ISIS."
{<doc}

I've wasted enough time being civil with your lazy ass. Do your own research.
I'm done.

I'll save you the time and effort and just write your reply for you
"Derp derp, lulz go on and cry triggered snowflake"

Run, run, as fast as you can, you can't catch him, he is the SmilinDesperado man.

Asking for sources to change his mind but believes the first fake news link showed to him smh

for people who want the actual story, instead of just propaganda, here is this man's actual blog. It's haunting.

http://www.simplycycling.org/blog/2017/1/10/10-pre-trip-worries
I thought the "propaganda" are quoting him? This is what provides a window on his hippie-dippy worldview and ultra-PC politics.

Can you give a summary of what the "propaganda" is? And how peoples opinion on their foolhardy trip are wrong?

Even the womans friend had concerns:

Kerrigan was, writes Callamachi, “concerned for her friend, in part because of how bighearted she was and in part because she feared that Mr. Austin had a higher tolerance for danger than Ms. Geoghegan did.” But if Kerrigan was worried about their vulnerability on the road, that was precisely what appealed to Austin: “With...vulnerability,” he wrote, “comes immense generosity: good folks who will recognize your helplessness and recognize that you need assistance in one form or another and offer it in spades.”

Asking for sources to change his mind but believes the first fake news link showed to him smh

Nope, actually I went and read a Washington Post article on this, after he showed me that source.

Still haven't been able to find out exactly where this took place. All the descriptions have been very vague.

I thought the "propaganda" are quoting him? This is what provides a window on his hippie-dippy worldview and ultra-PC politics.

Can you give a summary of what the "propaganda" is? And how peoples opinion on their foolhardy trip are wrong?

It was incredibly stupid to go there. But that quote about how evil doesn't exist in the world does not exist anwhere but in that Pluralist.com article.

Stop being obtuse.
It isn't a matter of them simply using his words. It's what words they used and how they used them, to try and paint him and his wife as a couple of idiots that were attempting to befriend ISIS.

The post he made about "There is no evil...by and large people are good....", he wrote that blog post after a family in Morocco, a group of people he had never met, invited him into their home for dinner.
That quote was taken out of context to mean he was a naive moron that thought ISIS was just misunderstood or some other such bullshit.

Lol Seriously, do you people know what a blog is? They had a 1 year trip and blog. They are constantly updating stories on their travels. You can't take one paragraph from one story and say "wow. This is their world view"

And who cares what her "concerned friend" thought? Most Americans have no idea about countries outside of their own. Im in Korea now, and i have had people from back home seriously ask me which Korea im living in

It was incredibly stupid to go there. But that quote about how evil doesn't exist in the world does not exist anwhere but in that Pluralist.com article.

I did notice he used the word priviledge twice in a paragraph from your source, so maybe SJW wasn't so inaccurate......just saying.

I shouldn't be so harsh. I was reading his blog thingy, and thinking it was really pretentious, and then I got to a paragraph where he explains it is for self reflection in the future, which made me laugh again.(see fellow athiests, this is why we need religion, now I can't go to hell for that joke)

The sites I've seen quote this:

You watch the news and you read the papers and you're led to believe that the world is a big, scary place. People, the narrative goes, are not to be trusted. People are bad. People are evil. People are axe murderers and monsters and worse.

I don't buy it. Evil is a make-believe concept we've invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans holding values and beliefs and perspectives different than our own—it's easier to dismiss an opinion as abhorrent than strive to understand it. Badness exists, sure, but even that's quite rare. By and large, humans are kind. Self-interested sometimes, myopic sometimes, but kind. Generous and wonderful and kind. No greater revelation has come from our journey than this.
They were killed in late July. Their simply cycling blog has a timestamp of April 5.
http://www.simplycycling.org/blog/2018/3/25/22

Pluralist went back in time? Not saying you're wrong and the quote is genuine, just asking questions.
The post he made about "There is no evil...by and large people are good....", he wrote that blog post after a family in Morocco, a group of people he had never met, invited him into their home for dinner. That quote was taken out of context to mean he was a naive moron that thought ISIS was just misunderstood or some other such bullshit.
Don't be obtuse. He specifically mentions "axe murderers and monsters and worse" a wider narrative than you claim. ISIS clearly fits into that category.

bu-but it was just about a nice Moroccan family!! reeee Good lord.

You can't take one paragraph from one story and say "wow. This is their world view"
The guys worldviews aren't just from one quote. Damn you're smug and condescending.

I did notice he used the word priviledge twice in a paragraph from your source, so maybe SJW wasn't so inaccurate......just saying.

I shouldn't be so harsh. I was reading his blog thingy, and thinking it was really pretentious, and then I got to a paragraph where he explains it is for self reflection in the future, which made me laugh again.(see fellow athiests, this is why we need religion, now I can't go to hell for that joke)

He strikes me as a dude who wanted to see the world on his terms, in his way, who recognized that there was a vast amount of danger inherent in that, but he was willing to accept that risk because it's just part of the deal. His only real concern was for his girlfriend, not for himself. I can respect all of those feelings. It's really ugly watching it get turned into something that it's not.

The sites I've seen quote this:

They were killed in late July. Their simply cycling blog has a timestamp of April 5.
http://www.simplycycling.org/blog/2018/3/25/22

Pluralist went back in time? Not saying you're wrong and the quote is genuine, just asking questions.

Don't be obtuse. He specifically mentions "axe murderers and monsters and worse" a wider narrative than you claim. ISIS clearly fits into that category.

bu-but it was just about a nice Moroccan family!! reeee Good lord.

Maybe I was wrong. I looked for it and couldn't find it. Google searched it and all I kept finding was the Pluralist.com article.

Back