Crime Millennial Couple Bikes Through Tajikistan Posts ‘Humans Are Kind’...They Were Killed

So humor me... which predominantly Arab countries have you been to? And which did you find the most tolerable? And why?

Considering the sentiment you seem to espouse, I’m curious as to what redeeming qualities the non-Western world might have to someone like you.
first there are damn few western countries with much to offer outside of a visit to the tourist area for a short time and ignore what's going on there, goes double for the me.

middle east, i've been to:
Jebel Ali
Dubai x 2
Bahrain x 4
Saudi Arabia
couple others technically but this is where i spent actual time

asia
hong kong
thailand
guam
saipan
okinawa
south korea (a lot)
Japan (and fukouka also but still japan)

australia x4

europe
denmark
norway
sweden

and of course mexico and canada, but who those don't really count

haven't made it to africa or antartica yet, but intend to
after that going to hit scotland, ireland, and england since that's where my last name comes from
mom's side is german jew so not sure i care much about seeing germany but since it's reasonably close probably throw it in

Maybe they were killed because they were vegan.

Vegans can be REALLY annoying.

Tajikistan is a beautiful country. But sadly there are still things and people like this who will kill others.

Eesh festival 2018. This is why militant Muslims know they can dominate the west, by using their kindness and ignorance to let the wolf thru the door to slaughter the sheep.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I didnt (and still have) no clue where takisktan is. But I'm not a right winger.
If you hear Stan point between Pakistan and Africa. Decent chance of getting it right

You might not have heard, but that whole "kill the Jews" thing in Germany is over now. You'll be safe over there.

Anti-Semitic crime is apparently on the rise in Germany, particularly in Berlin. I was just in Munchen and my friend told me it was becoming a problem there as well.

for people who want the actual story, instead of just propaganda, here is this man's actual blog. It's haunting.

http://www.simplycycling.org/blog/2017/1/10/10-pre-trip-worries

[ 10 ] Something goes terribly wrong.
Perhaps the greatest fear is the most immediate and the most physical. This isn't the first adventure I've taken that those I know would deem risky. But those past adventures were always shorter: three months here, two months there, sometimes on foot and sometimes on scooter and sometimes by car or bus or train, but always pretty close to civilization and needed supplies and a return home.

This will not be one of those adventures. Biking around the world is far safer than you might think (as it turns out, the world is a beautifully friendly place on average), but there's still plenty of inherent risk (deviation from that average). Over the tens of thousands of kilometers we're likely to travel, it only takes one mistake—a hungry animal, a wild dog, a distracted driver, an angry individual, a slippery patch of ice—for this grand adventure to become a great disaster, one with painfully intimate consequences.

I'm comfortable assuming that risk for myself, but this time I'm not traveling by myself. When you love someone, you want to keep them safe, yet when that person exists in a great big unpredictable world, it's impossible to keep them totally safe. I worry about something happening and not being able to stop it from happening, or not being able to do anything once it does happen, and that's not just a worry; it's a terrifying fear that outweighs all the preceding doubts and dread put together.

Things are sometimes scary, but things are usually okay.
These are not reasons to avoid an adventure. Risk is the singular inherent quality in adventure, and so without risk—without fear of that risk—there is no adventure. I write about these fears not to talk myself out of this trip, nor to talk anyone else out of having an adventure (seriously, go do it), but to catalog what I'm feeling and what I'm fearing so that, six months or a year or two years from now, from a place in the world I can't even begin to predict, I can look back on this list and smile at how everything around me is wonderful and beautiful and totally okay, and how embarking on this adventure—despite the risk—was probably the best decision we've ever made.

'Til then.

Doesn't really fit the narrative of oblivious naivety.

You might not have heard, but that whole "kill the Jews" thing in Germany is over now. You'll be safe over there.
Germany is gonna be living down the whole burning jewish people in shipping crates for a long. long. looooooong. time. just saying

TS is deceptive as an excerpt below shows that the trip wasn’t all bad...

On Day 319 of their journey, a Kazakh man stopped his truck, said hello and handed them ice cream bars. In a meadow where they had pitched their tent on Day 342, a family showed up with stringed instruments and treated them to an open-air concert. And on Day 359, two pigtailed girls met them at the top of a pass in Kyrgyzstan with a bouquet of flowers.
Vegans don’t eat ice cream, that’s probably where shit started going south

Vegans don’t eat ice cream, that’s probably where shit started going south

Shit... imagine if they had offered them goat or; worse yet, sacrificed the goat right in front of them.

Shit... imagine if they had offered them goat or; worse yet, sacrificed the goat right in front of them.
It’s really strange seeing the Shido AV all over this place these days

Back