Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Happy Memorial day too all the Vets in Sherdog!

RIP to all that didn't come home.

Cpl 0121
3dBn 2dMar
USMC 96-01
5 year contract as admin? Were you on the 22 MEU in the late 90s?

5 year contract as admin? Were you on the 22 MEU in the late 90s?

I was in the 26th MEU when my Bn became it's BLT. I got out from active duty in 2000. In 2001 I went back active IRR for a few months to a I&I staff in Encino. Then I got out completely in August of 2001.
3rdBn 2dMar was my "home".

Old head here. Recon platoon sniper in the 5/87th (panama) back in 89-90. Then the same gig with 1/502nd (101st) from 90 - 92. I was part of the Noriega invasion in Panama and then was one of the first on the ground for Desert Shield/Storm. After that I got the hell out and went back to school. I can't say that it will work out as well for others but I can tell you it was the right choice for me. I used my GI bill to go back to school and turned it into a pretty successful career. I have buddies that stayed in and are retiring now. Things have worked out pretty well for those guys too.

Old head here. Recon platoon sniper in the 5/87th (panama) back in 89-90. Then the same gig with 1/502nd (101st) from 90 - 92. I was part of the Noriega invasion in Panama and then was one of the first on the ground for Desert Shield/Storm. After that I got the hell out and went back to school. I can't say that it will work out as well for others but I can tell you it was the right choice for me. I used my GI bill to go back to school and turned it into a pretty successful career. I have buddies that stayed in and are retiring now. Things have worked out pretty well for those guys too.

respect

Met a marine yesterday that signed a 2 year contract. This was back in 03 I think. I'm guessing it was 2 years active 2 years IRR? Didn't know they did two year contracts back then.

Met a marine yesterday that signed a 2 year contract. This was back in 03 I think. I'm guessing it was 2 years active 2 years IRR? Didn't know they did two year contracts back then.
Yep, it was 2 years active, 2 years active reserve, 4 years IRR. Only a few jobs were open though because your school had to be short (admin, infantry, motor t, supply, maybe a few others).
The Army started offering 2 year contracts again recently and most MOSs are actually available (and with a bonus to boot).

Yep, it was 2 years active, 2 years active reserve, 4 years IRR. Only a few jobs were open though because your school had to be short (admin, infantry, motor t, supply, maybe a few others).
The Army started offering 2 year contracts again recently and most MOSs are actually available (and with a bonus to boot).

Navy did those as well but you were ineligible for GI Bill; which is a crappy deal

Talking with recruiters I work with, the Army is offering 10k extra, on top of the MOS bonus, if you score above a 50 on the ASVAB and are willing to leave for boot within 30 days. Not sure about length on contract on that though.

I got a $1200 (that's 12 one hundred dollar bills) bonus when I joined back in 2002. Rolling in that dough!!
Lol.

money-animated-gif-13.gif

USAF - got demoted twice, spent a year in basic as a trainee when I blew out my knee.

USAF - got demoted twice, spent a year in basic as a trainee when I blew out my knee.
What do they call that? A hold over?
I spent an extra week in basic. Had my wisdom teeth removed. But a goddamn year!! Fuck that shit.
giphy.gif

Yeah, this was me...

And a lot of you sons o' witches were right there with me! :)

I helped a guy walk over to the barracks where all of the injured folks in basic (ones who didn't want to go home) stayed at to heal up. Everyone called it purgatory.

I helped a guy walk over to the barracks where all of the injured folks in basic (ones who didn't want to go home) stayed at to heal up. Everyone called it purgatory.
It sucked, but there were a lot of cool guys there. I never felt a sense of camaraderie like I did in med hold even after I got into the regular military.

MSgt E-7 USAF Ret.
3704 BMTS Flight 665 "Stud Dogs"
30 Years ago today, I arrived at basic.

I didn't know $hit from Shinola! But, I made it, thanks to the Good Lord.

Back