Mike Tyson: One of the GOATs or Overrated Fighter

Tyson a GOAT or Overrated?

• One of the GOAT

• Overrated Boxer

Results are only viewable after voting.
in terms of ability, during his prime, i think i would pick him over anyone

but his prime was very short and he doesnt have the resume of other great boxers

so it depends if you are judging by ability or resume

Ali is like a (literal) star that is 10 billions miles across, lasts for 10 billion years, and is about 6000°C
Mike is like a star that is 8 billion miles across, only lasts for 1 billion years but is 1,000,000°C

some guys just burn the candle at both ends of the stick and have short peaks.

Ali is like a (literal) star that is 10 billions miles across, lasts for 10 billion years, and is about 6000°C
Mike is like a star that is 8 billion miles across, only lasts for 1 billion years but is 1,000,000°C

its crazy that ali is considered by some to be the best ever at any one point in time, like ali on his best day beats anyone else on their best day

but he also had such a long career with so many great wins, despite missing 3 years during his prime

really is the GOAT

its crazy that ali is considered by some to be the best ever at any one point in time, like ali on his best day beats anyone else on their best day

but he also had such a long career with so many great wins, despite missing 3 years during his prime

really is the GOAT

I definitely think both at their absolute peak, Mike has a genuine chance at flooring Ali.

Ali is the Jordan of boxing though, in that their place in history is absolutely cemented. It doesn't matter who comes along with a better win streak/better stats/more gold/more money. Ali is the GOAT for his resume and his massive impact on history, inside and outside of the ring. But yea at their peaks, Mike beats Ali at least a few times if they fought 10 times imo.

As with anything it's not just about who he beat but how he went about beating them. I don't see any debate with places him amongst other boxing GOATS.

I mean lets get real here in a decade your gonna have wieners calling Conner the goat even if he never wins another fight from here forward.

As much as it pained me to do it (grew up in the Tyson era) I voted OVERRATED. I judged him by his entire body of work. He fell short of being among the GOATs.

I study Tyson more but Ali would win. The vast majority of times, a pressure fighter has to knock out his opponent in order to win. How are you going to knock out Ali? The guy was hard to hit in the first place and then, when people did hit him, he had a great chin

He couple been goat but he did to much dumb shit and lost focus.. Jon Jones is on a similar path ......Joe Lewis is goat

Both. He's one of the GOATs, but he's also overrated because people seem to have largely forgotten that the Holyfield and Lewis fights happened at all, or at the very least don't hold them against Tyson very much. And that's not going into shit losses like McBride.

It's possible. But unlikely, imo. You ain't gonna rope a dope a prime Tyson. NOT a good strategy. Only thing I can think of would be for Ali to dance around pot shotting Tyson until Tyson got tired and frustrated, then unload on him. But Ali would have to last long enough to tire Mike out. And lasting long against a prime Tyson was an incredibly difficult task. I just think Tyson had the physical tools to beat Ali. Ali was a better boxer though, no doubt. But physical tools do matter. And Tyson was a rare and scary blend of physical abilities. I say he takes Ali out within 3 rounds. No disrespect to Ali though, at all.

Ali was blessed with more natural ability, IMO. Ali had unbelievable ringmanship and adaptability, also. The 80s Tyson was extremely good technically and fundamentally sound. He had great trainers from the beginning and then he threw all that training away and tried to rely on one punch knockouts.

Tyson was really robotic. He was extremely well trained, but lacked natural awareness. Once fighters stopped being scared to death of him, it showed. Ali would have picked him apart. Too long, too fast, too creative, too confident.

He was also a bully fighter. He looked unstoppable when he could just run through people, but as soon as he faced adversity, he mentally checked out. Rumble is a similar MMA fighter.

Not GOAT, but probably a top 10 HW all-time...

Ali
Louis
Johnson
Marciano
Dempsey
Frazier
Foreman
Holyfield
Klitschko
Tyson

Not GOAT, but probably a top 10 HW all-time...

Ali
Louis
Johnson
Marciano
Dempsey
Frazier
Foreman
Holyfield
Klitschko
Tyson

I would have Tyson over Frazier easily. I do not know how you could have Frazier above Foreman when he absolutely destroyed Frazier. I'd have Tyson over Klitchko

That is one thing that could be in Tyson's favor is that 1988 Tyson was better than 1970s Frazier. Tyson was better at slipping straights and had more power in both hands

That is one thing that could be in Tyson's favor is that 1988 Tyson was better than 1970s Frazier. Tyson was better at slipping straights and had more power in both hands

Tyson had another thing a lot of fighters never have -fear factor. Other fighters were straight up afraid of him

EcsisqH.gif

Interesting analogy, but Ali was literally a 8 billion mile, 6000 C star? I never noticed.

When he was young, disciplined, quick, and scared, he was pretty amazing.

His short fights were a running joke at the time. I remember I was like 12 and put down 50 lawnmowing bucks with my brother on Tyson v Tubbs. Lol. Even my parents laughed at us wasting money on a 2-round fight.

d71ac031c283a8759becf79315c0b2a7.jpg

Only 10 people said that he's overrated?

I better start inviting the alt-rights in the war room to vote then. By the end of the day, I bet at least 70% will say that he's overrated.

Back