Mike Tyson: One of the GOATs or Overrated Fighter

Tyson a GOAT or Overrated?

• One of the GOAT

• Overrated Boxer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tyson was one of a kind talent, but when he lost Cus Damato, it for sure hindered his life outside the ring and in turn hindered his boxing accomplishments
Still I think he is one of the GOATs

Both. He had great talent , but his resume is weak and some people even call him the goat. GOAT is what you did, not what you coulda shoulda woulda done.

Oh if he was mentally stable, if he didn't go to jail, his trainer didn't die etc. Yeah that's not how it works.

I went with the GOAT. Lenox Lewis wanted him after he slipped from greatness. After jail and false rape charges. He needed protection and fell off once his trainer died.

I saw a old documentary footage where he goes to see what was like a father to him later on; he says he is going to rob these white people. His trainer was the only father like figure he had.

Once he died, there was no shielding Iron Mike from himself.

He may not be favored to beat everyone but, you would not count him out in the 1st 3rds in his prime.

WAR IRON/HUNGRY MIKE

Mikes success was heavily reliant on youth, hunger, intimidation and the people surrounding him. His defensive wizardry is often overlooked but had he remained disciplined could have potentially carried him to undefeated status.

Cus dying was significant but canning Rooney, as well as other distractions, was the end of his greatness. The peek-a-boo style was perfect for his physical attributes in relation to the HW division, and he lost that becoming a fairly simplistic slugger. As a person his story is one of the most inspirational of modern history. Theres some dumb song about being knocked down and getting up again, thats Mikes theme song to a tee. Fascinating human being.

I heard him talk about his fear and his pain. The way he would snap and go off was priceless.

lulz @ 'fuck you :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:' lulz @ 'fuck you tell you love me' LOLOLOL

I get chills watching this. He was fucking terrifying. He needed Cus' protection not these pieces of shit to let him go nuts.

WAR IRON MIKE

Tyson was one of a kind talent, but when he lost Cus Damato, it for sure hindered his life outside the ring and in turn hindered his boxing accomplishments
Still I think he is one of the GOATs

+1

how about that piece of shit that had him rape charged. She was known for that and Tyson had no protection from scorpion women. His public opinion does not help either amplified by female victimhood.

He use to show up to flights and leave his ferrari/lambos and bail. Robbed by that piece of shit Don King. Its crazy.

So, I saw another piece of footage; apparently Tyson was coked up and dropped in a sparing session. Against Buster Douglas, they kept the fight, and he lost. He never should have fought in the first place after the incident.

When he was under Cus D'amato he was a goat for sure. Not just the scary ko power, but the man had incredible head and foot movement, and blistering speed. THAT Tyson would've beaten Ali without a doubt.
Cus died before he became champ.

Tyson, Holyfield and Sweet Pea are what made me a boxing fan. I llook at it this way, had Tyson NOT gone to jail this was his likely resume...

After Tillman, Lewis and Ruddock x2 he had this out there for him next...

Holyfield (booked for the title)
Foreman
Mercer
Lewis
Bowe
Moorer
Golota

I don't see him beating Holyfield at that time (huge Holyfield mark though) and the rest of the names on that list were not easy fights. Jail may have extended his career instead of ruining it. If he loses one of more of those fights he likely retires around 93 as his mentality is not that mature enough to keep going.

My .02 cents

Not going to vote as I know next to nothing about boxing, but people who sound like they know what they're talking about often say he's over rated, and people who don't sound knowledgeable rave about him.

I went with the GOAT. Lenox Lewis wanted him after he slipped from greatness. After jail and false rape charges. He needed protection and fell off once his trainer died.

I saw a old documentary footage where he goes to see what was like a father to him later on; he says he is going to rob these white people. His trainer was the only father like figure he had.

Once he died, there was no shielding Iron Mike from himself.

He may not be favored to beat everyone but, you would not count him out in the 1st 3rds in his prime.

WAR IRON/HUNGRY MIKE

Hey I like the guy too. there are conflicting reports of who ducked who, but when they did fight Lennox won. He was great, but he's not the greatest. That doesn't mean he couldn't beat anyone in his prime, with that power he very well might have. We'll never know.

Ali has an objectively better resume, and so do some other guys.

Last edited:
He was a shooting star type of boxer.

Great for a short time then life burned him out fast.

He's overrated in the sense that he's nowhere near GOAT status or even near GOAT status at HW. He's not even the best HW of his era, Lennox Lewis is, and Holyfield is ahead of him too. I get it, he had charisma and KO power, but he got destroyed by Lennox and pieced up by Evander twice. He even lost to Buster Douglas in his prime. GOAT status isn't about shoulda woulda couldas it's about resume and legacy. Winning the title at the youngest age ever was impressive though.

He's overrated in the sense that he's nowhere near GOAT status or even near GOAT status at HW. He's not even the best HW of his era, Lennox Lewis is, and Holyfield is ahead of him too. I get it, he had charisma and KO power, but he got destroyed by Lennox and pieced up by Evander twice. He even lost to Buster Douglas in his prime. GOAT status isn't about shoulda woulda couldas it's about resume and legacy. Winning the title at the youngest age ever was impressive though.
259a9047c1ec157e89300d1ff08ba23e_meme-he-meme-hes-right-you-hes-right-you-know-meme_800-598.jpeg

+1

how about that piece of shit that had him rape charged. She was known for that and Tyson had no protection from scorpion women. His public opinion does not help either amplified by female victimhood.

He use to show up to flights and leave his ferrari/lambos and bail. Robbed by that piece of shit Don King. Its crazy.

So, I saw another piece of footage; apparently Tyson was coked up and dropped in a sparing session. Against Buster Douglas, they kept the fight, and he lost. He never should have fought in the first place after the incident.
you nailed it right on the head, I used to think he was a real piece of shit, I was blinded by his actions and didnt take into considerations of what he had to deal with and how EVERYONE around him took his trust and ruined him with their greed. If you ever listen to this guy talk and pay attention he is as real as you can get, and he has a big heart, I know this sounds silly but he is one of the few guys I would like to meet and tell him that Im hoping for the best for him and that he has people who are wanting him to persevere in his life.

my bad, I didn't mean to get off topic, just wanted to put my 2 cents in, Im always down to talk Iron Mike

When he was under Cus D'amato he was a goat for sure. Not just the scary ko power, but the man had incredible head and foot movement, and blistering speed. THAT Tyson would've beaten Ali without a doubt.

Give me a break with this motivated BJ Penn nonsense. Tyson's best wins were an old man Larry Holmes and Michael Spinks. Ali took a beating from an absolute prime George Foreman and still won, went through wars with Joe Frazier winning 2 out of 3 and never quitting like Tyson even after this:

Zero hesistation getting back up after getting hit like that. Ali faced a murder's row of heavy hitters. He would have pieced up Tyson with the jab just like Lennox and Buster did. Tyson is toast once someone doesn't fold, Ali in his prime didn't fold. GTFO of here with this ignorant shit.

Give me a break with this motivated BJ Penn nonsense. Tyson's best wins were an old man Larry Holmes and Michael Spinks. Ali took a beating from an absolute prime George Foreman and still won, went through wars with Joe Frazier winning 2 out of 3 and never quitting like Tyson even after this:

Zero hesistation getting back up after getting hit like that. Ali faced a murder's row of heavy hitters. He would have pieced up Tyson with the jab just like Lennox and Buster did. Tyson is toast once someone doesn't fold, Ali in his prime didn't fold. GTFO of here with this ignorant shit.

The thing that bugs me when this topic comes up, is people act like Tyson would just one punch Ali. Hell no Ali had an iron chin, and rarely even got hit hard in his prime. While Tyson was known to get discouraged when guys weren't scared of him, or could take his shots and fire back.

He didn't knock out Lewis or Holyfield but he'd 100% ko Ali? I dunno about that.

As good as Tyson was he himself says Ali would have beaten him, I think Joe Frazier would have as well.
but those 2 are also one of the GOATs

Hey I like the guy too. there are conflicting reports of who ducked who, but when they did fight Lennox won. He was great, but he's not the greatest. That doesn't mean he couldn't beat anyone in his prime, with that power he very well might have. We'll never know.

Ali has an objectively better resume, and so do some other guys.

Lenox peaked late and Tyson outside name status was almost irrelevant.Tyson went brawler mode after Cus died. Furthermore, Lenox while good had that fake floating accident; total identity crisis; British one sec, next sec he is Jamaican, the next sec he is Canadian. Pick one already fuck! Also, due to his Reem like chin, prime Tyson hits him dead.

He SHOULD have been one of the GOATS but losing Cus D'Amato, plus mental illness, substance abuse, prison stints, lack of training, poor trainers, etc. prevented him from actually proving it.

One of the most overrated fighters in the history of boxing. The best thing he ever did was a video game
He cleaned out his division unified all the belts he was what 21 years old when he unified them defended them 6 times 9 for the WBC, 8 for the WBA, and 6 for the IBF. It took him only like 18 months to win his first title and less then 2 years to unify them. Who knows what he could've done if he didn't get hooked up with the wrong people.

Back