Mike Tyson: One of the GOATs or Overrated Fighter

Tyson a GOAT or Overrated?

• One of the GOAT

• Overrated Boxer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Question: did Tyson ever rally back to win a fight he was losing?

I voted GOAT, but it's a little of both. The real reason for Tyson's downfall? This fucker right here, and the goons and enablers he surrounded Tyson with.
IMG_1039.JPG

One of the most overrated fighters in the history of boxing. The best thing he ever did was a video game
You clearly have not watched mike tyson mysteries.

1319215840_mike_tyson_uppercut.gif

I remember reading that If Tyson had beaten Buster then he most likely would have fought Holyfield next, which I think would have been a much better fight than the one in 1996. Tyson was still a good fighter after he got out of jail, but in my opinion he wasn't the same. Seeing Tyson fight Evander in 1990 or 1991 would have helped to answer many of the "what if" questions since Tyson was still in or very close to his prime.

Both. He's one of the GOATs, but he's also overrated because people seem to have largely forgotten that the Holyfield and Lewis fights happened at all, or at the very least don't hold them against Tyson very much. And that's not going into shit losses like McBride.

I remember that McBride fight.

He leaned on him the entire fucking fight and Tyson was physically exhausted.

He had the potential to be the GOAT but as another poster stated its not about what you could have achieved but what you did.

I voted GOAT, but it's a little of both. The real reason for Tyson's downfall? This fucker right here, and the goons and enablers he surrounded Tyson with.
View attachment 215009

Tyson was going downhill fast before he went to jail. He had a hard time w/ Razor Ruddock before he went to jail also. Lennox Lewis destroyed Ruddock about a year after that. I don't like to use the logic that it makes Lewis better than Tyson, but Lewis should be in the top 10 GOAT list

Tyson had people watching boxing for the brutality of it.
I would bet if there was never a Tyson.... there wouldn't have been an mma.

Tyson is the GOAT of wasted natural talent.

He got tired of putting in the work needed. When his natural abilities started to slip, he was exposed immediately.

Tyson is the GOAT of wasted natural talent.

He got tired of putting in the work needed. When his natural abilities started to slip, he was exposed immediately.
Well, when Cuz D'Amato died it really fucked him up. He was always someone whose mental state was precarious. Cuz kept him focused so he wouldn't lose his mind, which is pretty much what he did after Cuz died.

Tyson was great before that. But he's a small HW. He was able to use his speed advantage from being smaller, as well as his exceptional skill to get to the top. But there is a reason HWs have continued to get taller and taller, culminating in a 7' mediocre champ in Tyson Fury. Height is a great advantage to have that can nullify an opponent's skill level to a great degree.

I think even if Cuz had still been alive, Tyson probably would have a lot of trouble with the taller HWs that came along. I mean, Tyson is listed at 5'10", which means he is really only 5'9", or maybe 5'8". That's a tiny HW.

And what a wonderful video game it was.

dm5klg1.gif

this may be one of the best GIF's ever.

Regarding Tyson being one of the GOATS, I'm kind of biased since i grew up during Mike's prime years. Guy was a beast and his fights were must see TV back then.

I'm shocked there are 14 votes for over rated.

Your votes are over rated!!

Mikes success was heavily reliant on youth, hunger, intimidation and the people surrounding him. His defensive wizardry is often overlooked but had he remained disciplined could have potentially carried him to undefeated status.

Cus dying was significant but canning Rooney, as well as other distractions, was the end of his greatness. The peek-a-boo style was perfect for his physical attributes in relation to the HW division, and he lost that becoming a fairly simplistic slugger. As a person his story is one of the most inspirational of modern history. Theres some dumb song about being knocked down and getting up again, thats Mikes theme song to a tee. Fascinating human being.

Back