Mike Tyson: One of the GOATs or Overrated Fighter

Tyson a GOAT or Overrated?

• One of the GOAT

• Overrated Boxer

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's possible. But unlikely, imo. You ain't gonna rope a dope a prime Tyson. NOT a good strategy. Only thing I can think of would be for Ali to dance around pot shotting Tyson until Tyson got tired and frustrated, then unload on him. But Ali would have to last long enough to tire Mike out. And lasting long against a prime Tyson was an incredibly difficult task. I just think Tyson had the physical tools to beat Ali. Ali was a better boxer though, no doubt. But physical tools do matter. And Tyson was a rare and scary blend of physical abilities. I say he takes Ali out within 3 rounds. No disrespect to Ali though, at all.

Rope a Dope isn't Prime Ali though. That was a strategy he used specifically because he knew his speed was going. Prime Ali would be looking to use his speed to pick him apart. He wouldn't just be standing in front of him like a lot of guys Tyson fought.

Ali was absurdly fast in his prime.

Cus was out of the picture fairly early in his pro career and Rooney was doing a lot of the training even when he was around.
it's not the training it's the guidance, Rooney was able to fully be a substitute Cus as a coach, no problem.

No one could replace Cus as Mikes father figure.

Rope a Dope isn't Prime Ali though. That was a strategy he used specifically because he knew his speed was going. Prime Ali would be looking to use his speed to pick him apart. He wouldn't just be standing in front of him like a lot of guys Tyson fought.

Ali was absurdly fast in his prime.

I couldn't remember if rope a dope was in Ali's prime or not.

And yeah Ali was absurdly fast in his prime. But faster than Tyson? I'm not so sure. It'd be interesting as hell.

I couldn't remember if rope a dope was in Ali's prime or not.

And yeah Ali was absurdly fast in his prime. But faster than Tyson? I'm not so sure. It'd be interesting as hell.

Yeah it's debatable. I mean Ali definitely had the better career, but that doesn't mean he'd win 100% in a fight. To me though the guy with the better resume has to get the nod, since the rest is just subjective opinion.

Ali did a lot of things Tyson never did. Came back out of prime to regain the title. Avenged more losses, beat all the best guys in his division, which was the best hw division ever. He also never lost to a journeyman or let his personal life affect his career.

Fair enough. I mean he was a GREAT fighter no doubt, just not goat. You can't be goat when you lost to a journeyman and the other two best fighters of your era, and Holyfield was past prime to boot.
Are you out of your fucking mind?? Holyfield was out of his prime, but that fight was after mike had snapped and gone to prison. The original run of Tyson was unstoppable, but its like when someone is so great they put out so much energy that they have to burn out early.

Tyson fan. But he never fought any impressive opponents in their prime

Are you out of your fucking mind?? Holyfield was out of his prime, but that fight was after mike had snapped and gone to prison. The original run of Tyson was unstoppable, but its like when someone is so great they put out so much energy that they have to burn out early.

I'm aware of the circumstances. Thing is his amazing streak was over mostly cans. It was a weak division. That's not his fault, he fought the guys in front of him, but strength of schedule matters in GOAT discussion.

The whole point is he came back and lost to Lewis and Holyfield. To go down as the GOAT in a sport with the deep history of boxing, he HAS to win those fights. He was already fighting in a historically weak hw division, then he lost to a journeyman and the two other best guys from his era.

He factually cannot be the goat with all those losses, which he couldn't avenge. I get that his prime is shorter, but that counts. If you can't maintain greatness, for whatever the reason, you fall behind the guys that could in all-time discussion. Lots of guys had rough childhoods, went through challenges in their life, etc. And they came back to overcome those challenges. Tyson didn't. And that matters. He's like Vitor in that way. Vitor lost so many fights because he quit mentally, and he was shit for several years after his sister got killed. We don't go back and just change all those losses to wins for him because his life was difficult.

There's no logical way to put his career over not only Ali, but other great hws from his era like Foreman. Resume is what counts, not what could have or should have or might have happened.

It's possible. But unlikely, imo. You ain't gonna rope a dope a prime Tyson. NOT a good strategy. Only thing I can think of would be for Ali to dance around pot shotting Tyson until Tyson got tired and frustrated, then unload on him. But Ali would have to last long enough to tire Mike out. And lasting long against a prime Tyson was an incredibly difficult task. I just think Tyson had the physical tools to beat Ali. Ali was a better boxer though, no doubt. But physical tools do matter. And Tyson was a rare and scary blend of physical abilities. I say he takes Ali out within 3 rounds. No disrespect to Ali though, at all.

I personally think Ali would absolutely pick him apart on the outside the entire fight.

I'm aware of the circumstances. Thing is his amazing streak was over mostly cans. It was a weak division. That's not his fault, he fought the guys in front of him, but strength of schedule matters in GOAT discussion.

The whole point is he came back and lost to Lewis and Holyfield. To go down as the GOAT in a sport with the deep history of boxing, he HAS to win those fights. He was already fighting in a historically weak hw division, then he lost to a journeyman and the two other best guys from his era.

He factually cannot be the goat with all those losses, which he couldn't avenge. I get that his prime is shorter, but that counts. If you can't maintain greatness, for whatever the reason, you fall behind the guys that could in all-time discussion. Lots of guys had rough childhoods, went through challenges in their life, etc. And they came back to overcome those challenges. Tyson didn't. And that matters. He's like Vitor in that way. Vitor lost so many fights because he quit mentally, and he was shit for several years after his sister got killed. We don't go back and just change all those losses to wins for him because his life was difficult.

There's no logical way to put his career over not only Ali, but other great hws from his era like Foreman. Resume is what counts, not what could have or should have or might have happened.
You are fucking wrong sir! And I slap you with my glove. Lets take this to the OT board. Were you not old enough to remember Tyson during the peak years of the late 80s??

Edit: BTW, I never said he was better than fucking Ali! Ali was the best ever at mental/picking apart opponents, but tyson was best ever with pure power.

You are fucking wrong sir! And I slap you with my glove. Lets take this to the OT board. Were you not old enough to remember Tyson during the peak years of the late 80s??

Yeah I am, and I thought he was a superhero like everyone else did. Still love the guy. Mike Tysons punch out was one of my favorite games as a kid too.

Ali had the better career though.....

<Fedor23>

Yeah I am, and I thought he was a superhero like everyone else did. Still love the guy. Mike Tysons punch out was one of my favorite games as a kid too.

Ali had the better career though.....

<Fedor23>
Ok so you arent insane and we think similarly. See my last post edit.

Ok so you arent insane and we think similarly. See my last post edit.

Yeah I don't disagree with that. Tyson had some special power. Other guys had better careers imo, but Tyson was still a beast. And he'd have a chance to ko any human on earth in a fight, no doubt.

I honestly don't know enough about boxing to really know if he was overrated or not. I grew up watching Tyson fight, but didn't know jack about boxing when I was younger. Deep inside though I would like to say that he is one of the greatest.

Makes me wonder how casual MMA fans or new generation fans assess the greatness of a MMA fighter...

When Mike was all there mentally, before he got really fucked up in the head by his demons, he was an unstoppable force. Like Fedor, but scarier(that shouldnt be possible)

A 21 year old Tyson is probably the only human that is ever existed that I would bet on beating a full grown bear/gorilla/tiger/lion in a fight to the death.

its unfortunate that he was already gone off the rails by the time he face some top competition.

I think they showed it right after WWF.

haha that's exactly how I remembered it. with a wrestling man event associated in the mix.

in terms of ability, during his prime, i think i would pick him over anyone

but his prime was very short and he doesnt have the resume of other great boxers

so it depends if you are judging by ability or resume

He is definitely one of the best. There are SEVERAL others ahead of him but he's up in the top 10-15ish area.

Ali would have picked him apart in that matchup

If he didn't have all the mental/training/coaching/life problems he could have been really special.

Back