Mike Tyson: One of the GOATs or Overrated Fighter

Tyson a GOAT or Overrated?

• One of the GOAT

• Overrated Boxer

Results are only viewable after voting.
You're my friend but have to disagree on this. I got into boxing because of Tyson. He's a manlet in the HW ranks and he made it to the top. If it wasn't for him fucking all those Japanese girls he would've beat Buster Douglas in Tokyo.

Fair enough. I mean he was a GREAT fighter no doubt, just not goat. You can't be goat when you lost to a journeyman and the other two best fighters of your era, and Holyfield was past prime to boot.

Can you have multiple Greatest of All Time? Like he's one of the Greatests of all time? I assumed there was only one GOAT, and that is Sugar Ray Robinson.

this fuck needed 20 more years or be 20years younger when he met Iron Mike
350px-Damato.jpg

woulda set him straight, no dumb ass tigers...

TWO FUCKIN TIGERS, holy shit Tyson was that crazy.

Cus woulda reigned in Tysons crazy dik too.

During his prime (pre-Don King), although it was very short, he was the greatest of all time. He dominated like no other fighter I can even think of.

Part of it is also due to the talent level in the Heavies during his Prime era - sure he took them out, but they were the best to offer, but there were no real contenders for him. By the time Douglas came around, D'amato was gone, his fire was out and he was past his prime.

Fair enough. I mean he was a GREAT fighter no doubt, just not goat. You can't be goat when you lost to a journeyman and the other two best fighters of your era, and Holyfield was past prime to boot.

All of those fights were after he fired Cus D'Mato protege Kevin Rooney. You could say the same thing about Rhonda Rousey, but in my opinion she has been the most dominant female fighter.

Watching the Tyson documentary right now - I've never seen it before.

97879-Mike-Tyson-Underspueted-Heavyweight-Champion-86-90.jpg

I'm sure this thread has not been done before, so let's get it going.

I know a lot of people think Mike Tyson was one of the GOATs and a lot of people think he was a can that only dominated cans but got dominated by real boxers.

Which side of the fence are you on? Why?

QA5Q222.gif

5cSFe8WhgsMbm.gif

25s5t82.gif

1990-02-11-TysonXBusterDouglas-slomo-sg.gif

52xt10.gif

Mike Tyson is without a doubt one of the greatest boxers of all time for a period of time. Nobody will stay on top forever, but he was there for a decent amount of time and was a brutal knockout artist.

All of those fights were after he fired Cus D'Mato protege Kevin Rooney. You could say the same thing about Rhonda Rousey, but in my opinion she has been the most dominant female fighter.

This is what I was talking about.... that's an excuse. That's on him. Fight iq, proper behavior outside the ring, etc. It all counts. Ali lost years of his career because of the vietnam war. He still came back and regained the title and beat all the best guys of his era.

With Tyson it's always what if he didn't make a bunch of dumb decisions in his personal and professional life... well those are the intangibles that separate the greats from the greatest of all time.

this fuck needed 20 more years or be 20years younger when he met Iron Mike
350px-Damato.jpg

woulda set him straight, no dumb ass tigers...

TWO FUCKIN TIGERS, holy shit Tyson was that crazy.

Cus woulda reigned in Tysons crazy dik too.

Cus was out of the picture fairly early in his pro career and Rooney was doing a lot of the training even when he was around.

He had a special athleticism and uncanny movement for his size no one has replicated since.

Anyone here old enough to remember the Douglas fight? I remember watching it live and being amazed and excited Tyson got knocked out.
I still remember where I was watching it. I was happy because it was free on TV at the time. I think they showed it right after WWF.

It was a great night for a 10 year old.

One of the most overrated fighters in the history of boxing. The best thing he ever did was a video game
And what a wonderful video game it was.

dm5klg1.gif

Tyson's knockout power in close quarters was scary with those short arms. Maybe George Foreman had more but totally different styles. George had more of a sledgehammer punch.

I disagree. Ali would have came up with a great strategy and beat Tyson.

It's possible. But unlikely, imo. You ain't gonna rope a dope a prime Tyson. NOT a good strategy. Only thing I can think of would be for Ali to dance around pot shotting Tyson until Tyson got tired and frustrated, then unload on him. But Ali would have to last long enough to tire Mike out. And lasting long against a prime Tyson was an incredibly difficult task. I just think Tyson had the physical tools to beat Ali. Ali was a better boxer though, no doubt. But physical tools do matter. And Tyson was a rare and scary blend of physical abilities. I say he takes Ali out within 3 rounds. No disrespect to Ali though, at all.

Back