"Merciless" Ray Mercer on MMA vs. boxing

I've got plenty of links I could post to prove what I said, but I'm not going to bother. I don't want to stop anyone who wants to make stupid arguments from doing so. I'm assuming everybody else doesn't have Google blocked on their computer.

Every other athlete's pay is easily found, yet MMA fighters pay is secret information locked away deep inside the Kremlin. That, or the back room bonuses are bullshit.

I still say that a great boxer will beat a great kickboxer or a great Muay Thai fighter...

Boxing is too refined. The hands in the other arts are too sloppy. Their defense is too sloppy and their kicks don't make up for it. Boxing also breeds better athletes. Athletically, they are on another level. The talent pool is so much bigger in boxing.

I think Mayweather would destroy any Muay Thai fighter or any kickboxer in his weight class in a striking only match. Let Mayweather watch some videos of his opponent and it will be a wrap.

You are trolling right !?

I still say that a great boxer will beat a great kickboxer or a great Muay Thai fighter...

Boxing is too refined. The hands in the other arts are too sloppy. Their defense is too sloppy and their kicks don't make up for it. Boxing also breeds better athletes. Athletically, they are on another level. The talent pool is so much bigger in boxing.

I think Mayweather would destroy any Muay Thai fighter or any kickboxer in his weight class in a striking only match. Let Mayweather watch some videos of his opponent and it will be a wrap.

You are fucking crazy. You could fly Floyd Mayweather to Thailand and let him train for as long as he wants to and he'd still get crushed by a top Muay Thai fighter. Floyd wins in boxing, Thai boxer wins in Muay Thai.

To the last two posters, he said in a striking only match. He didn't say they would win at Muay Thai.

You do know that the UFC has a different pay model than boxing typically has, right? The numbers that NSAC publishes are only a fraction of what UFC fighters make.

Same for boxing.

Even Rampage makes more than a million a fight we recently found out. GSP is rumored to make between 2.5 and 5 million per fight.

Recently found out? You're assuming a man who always lies in public isn't lying in public this time? How many times now has Dana said some stupid shit in public that hasn't turned out to be remotely true? Remember when he said Nike were dropping Manny for Jon Jones? MMA fans and the media aren't capable of thinking for themselves. Every time Dana says something the lot of them take it as fact without even digging into it. Just like when Dana said Nike were dropping Manny you can practically here the interviewer fapping off camera "Huh!? Oh really WOOOOWIW Mr White."

Even then he says nothing about where the 15 million came from? He was in that A-Team movie, is Dana trying to take credit for that the same way he tries take credit for sponsorship money?

Not Mayweather and Pacquiao numbers, but better than just about everyone else and certainly better than Kessler.

Kessler consistently makes over a million as a purse alone. I don't think there has ever been a UFC fighter who has made that much just as purse. After that he earns TV rights and sponsorship money.

I can't really remember what it was but I think Kessler made a 1.8 million purse fighting Brian Magee (800k purse) in Denmark. Taking that alone and comparing it to what you say about GSP (UFC's biggest draw and most important fighter) earning a RUMOURED 5 million when all is added up, we see Kessler is actually making almost half up front than what GSP makes in total. So yes, it would appear Kessler does make more than GSP.

Last edited:
To the last two posters, he said in a striking only match. He didn't say they would win at Muay Thai.

Muay Thai is like 99% striking. You have some clinches and throws but they don't really grapple.

How about if we just go with K-1 rules then? Muay Thai fighter still wins.

Striking meaning not kicking was what I assumed he meant.

Striking meaning not kicking was what I assumed he meant.

Striking doesn't mean not kicking though. Not kicking would mean a boxing match. In a stand up striking match it would look a lot like this:

Striking doesn't mean not kicking though. Not kicking would mean a boxing match. In a stand up striking match it would look a lot like this:

In the context of these debates striking gets thrown around as punches and elbows. Include everything apart from the clinch then I agree where the advantage is.

Who you got beating mayweather then?

Tbh it was his whole post not just the mayweather bit.
Thaiboxers live in camps literally rather than just going into an 8 week camp a few times a year.
Regards mayweather I see him bobbing straight into a knee or kick.

Ok, so you're both talking kicking which I wasn't. It's all good :)

Sorry guys.. Mayweather is too refined, too fast, and his defense is too tight... FOr the guy saying that Mayweather will "bob" into a kick or a knee, you must not have seen a Mayweather fight in your life... He doesn't bob and weave... He stands in the pocket, shoulder rolls, then hits with the sharpest and fastest counters damn near known to man...

This man is athletically on another level as is his skill... There is not a kick boxer or a Muay Thai guy who has even 30% of Mayweather's athletic gifts... He is a 1 in a billion athlete.

The kickers will get hit with shit they won't even see coming.. I'm talking about Mayweather having a fucking field day in there.. Hitting off 5 punch combos all of them landing FLUSH...

Line them up and Mayweather will tool them all in a single day... Then go on to defend his belt later on that night...

Cake walk

Those guys have never seen a fighter like Mayweather.. Never seen defense as tight as his... Never seen counter punches like he throws... They have never experienced his elite, 1 in a billion, world class athlete speed... Mayweather would box circles around those guys.. Stop fooling yourselves...

As soon as one of those guys throws a kick, he is going to get hit with a leaping left hook followed by a 4 punch combo and he won't see ANY of it coming....

Lights out!

I finally get back onto Sherdog to find this thread. Shit burgers.

Sorry guys.. Mayweather is too refined, too fast, and his defense is too tight... FOr the guy saying that Mayweather will "bob" into a kick or a knee, you must not have seen a Mayweather fight in your life... He doesn't bob and weave... He stands in the pocket, shoulder rolls, then hits with the sharpest and fastest counters damn near known to man...

This man is athletically on another level as is his skill... There is not a kick boxer or a Muay Thai guy who has even 30% of Mayweather's athletic gifts... He is a 1 in a billion athlete.

The kickers will get hit with shit they won't even see coming.. I'm talking about Mayweather having a fucking field day in there.. Hitting off 5 punch combos all of them landing FLUSH...

Line them up and Mayweather will tool them all in a single day... Then go on to defend his belt later on that night...

Cake walk

Those guys have never seen a fighter like Mayweather.. Never seen defense as tight as his... Never seen counter punches like he throws... They have never experienced his elite, 1 in a billion, world class athlete speed... Mayweather would box circles around those guys.. Stop fooling yourselves...

As soon as one of those guys throws a kick, he is going to get hit with a leaping left hook followed by a 4 punch combo and he won't see ANY of it coming....

Lights out!

Lmao...this is good $hit.

Cake walk

Lights out!

Which Muay Thai fighters do you have in mind for this ass whooping?

Kessler consistently makes over a million as a purse alone. I don't think there has ever been a UFC fighter who has made that much just as purse. After that he earns TV rights and sponsorship money.

I can't really remember what it was but I think Kessler made a 1.8 million purse fighting Brian Magee (800k purse) in Denmark. Taking that alone and comparing it to what you say about GSP (UFC's biggest draw and most important fighter) earning a RUMOURED 5 million when all is added up, we see Kessler is actually making almost half up front than what GSP makes in total. So yes, it would appear Kessler does make more than GSP.

You want even better figures.

When Kessler took to Steiglitz, Steiglitz's purse (remember, just purse so no other bonuses or sponsorship or the like included) was $3,000,000.

That's right, Steiglitz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back