"Merciless" Ray Mercer on MMA vs. boxing

the 50th ranked boxer should come over to mma then, and make himself some millions when he ascends to the very top of the sport. shouldn't be very tough.

According to boxrec.com Mikkel Kessler is ranked 46th in the world. Guess what? He makes 2 or 3 times as much as GSP each fight.

the 50th ranked boxer should come over to mma then, and make himself some millions when he ascends to the very top of the sport. shouldn't be very tough.

they are different sports and neither directly translates to the other, obviously. being a great boxer would obviously be an asset for someone coming into mma.

I said a top boxer would like beat the 50th ranked MMA guy. Can you even name that guy? And no MMA fighter can beat a top 50 boxer in boxing.

He said the mma guy wouldn't win at boxing... not that the boxer would own teh UFCz!!1!1!

you will be disadvantaged in pure boxing if you spend alot less of your time pure boxing, yes.

According to boxrec.com Mikkel Kessler is ranked 46th in the world. Guess what? He makes 2 or 3 times as much as GSP each fight.

EDIT. I can't edit my previous post. You are looking at P4P. Kessler is 3rd at SMW.

i see kessler ranked 3rd on boxrec.

they are different sports and neither directly translates to the other, obviously. being a great boxer would obviously be an asset for someone coming into mma.

Boxing translates into MMA because Boxing is part of MMA. Just like any combat sport and martial arts sport in general translates into MMA.

As for the 50th Boxer coming into MMA, no one would know who he is except real hardcore Boxing fans because he is ranked so low. Usually when a Boxer is ranked at 50, they are prospects. So coming into MMA defeats the purpose of that. Otherwise, they are like James Toney, a once top ranked Boxer who is now very washed up or past the prime, and would be too past the age ratio to cross over successfully into MMA.

you will be disadvantaged in pure boxing if you spend alot less of your time pure boxing, yes.

That's not even the point. Someone comes in making a stupid point about mma fighters being top 50 at boxing. No one is making the reverse argument.

That was actually a pretty good interview...and Ray Mercer make great points.

in any match, be it MMA or boxing, you start standing up. In stand up, 9 times out of 10, a boxer will have the advantage over a MMA fighter.

I've always said, standing with a boxer is as stupid as going for a double leg take down on a BJJ black belt or Collegiate wrestler.

This is not the 90s! BJJ black belt's get taken down and beat all the time

You do know that the UFC has a different pay model than boxing typically has, right? The numbers that NSAC publishes are only a fraction of what UFC fighters make. Even Rampage makes more than a million a fight we recently found out. GSP is rumored to make between 2.5 and 5 million per fight. Not Mayweather and Pacquiao numbers, but better than just about everyone else and certainly better than Kessler.

I"m too lazy to find the Sean McCorkle thread on the Underground but he went over the pay structure for bottom tier guys and, even for them, the listed purse is a minority of the total pay to fighters.

I hope this doesn't come across as bad mouthing boxing, I just think that there is enough public information out there to progress the discussion beyond: Boxers make a lot of money, MMA fighters don't make any money. At the bottom end of each sport, guys don't make shit--a hundred a round per fight in the U.S. in some cases, even less overseas or in shady events. At the level you start to see them on TV regularly they can probably quit their other job. The guys who are being featured as headliners are making a lot of money, both in MMA and boxing. The only anomaly in the comparison is that the top 1-2 boxers--Mayweather and Pacquiao now, ODLH and Tyson in earlier generations, etc.--have no comparable counterpart in the MMA world.

You do know that the UFC has a different pay model than boxing typically has, right? The numbers that NSAC publishes are only a fraction of what UFC fighters make. Even Rampage makes more than a million a fight we recently found out. GSP is rumored to make between 2.5 and 5 million per fight. Not Mayweather and Pacquiao numbers, but better than just about everyone else and certainly better than Kessler.

I"m too lazy to find the Sean McCorkle thread on the Underground but he went over the pay structure for bottom tier guys and, even for them, the listed purse is a minority of the total pay to fighters.

I just don't believe it sorry.

I hope this doesn't come across as bad mouthing boxing, I just think that there is enough public information out there to progress the discussion beyond: Boxers make a lot of money, MMA fighters don't make any money. At the bottom end of each sport, guys don't make shit--a hundred a round per fight in the U.S. in some cases, even less overseas or in shady events. At the level you start to see them on TV regularly they can probably quit their other job. The guys who are being featured as headliners are making a lot of money, both in MMA and boxing. The only anomaly in the comparison is that the top 1-2 boxers--Mayweather and Pacquiao now, ODLH and Tyson in earlier generations, etc.--have no comparable counterpart in the MMA world.

Sorry, but I think most of this post is non sense.

There was a article on bloody elbow a few years back that actually looked at the top 35 paid boxers and the top ten paid mma fighters.

It wasn't exact science, but besides the top 4-5 MMA guys no one made more then the 35th highest paid boxer.

I've got plenty of links I could post to prove what I said, but I'm not going to bother. I don't want to stop anyone who wants to make stupid arguments from doing so. I'm assuming everybody else doesn't have Google blocked on their computer.

I've got plenty of links I could post to prove what I said, but I'm not going to bother. I don't want to stop anyone who wants to make stupid arguments from doing so. I'm assuming everybody else doesn't have Google blocked on their computer.

Did you even read my link?

I still say that a great boxer will beat a great kickboxer or a great Muay Thai fighter...

Boxing is too refined. The hands in the other arts are too sloppy. Their defense is too sloppy and their kicks don't make up for it. Boxing also breeds better athletes. Athletically, they are on another level. The talent pool is so much bigger in boxing.

I think Mayweather would destroy any Muay Thai fighter or any kickboxer in his weight class in a striking only match. Let Mayweather watch some videos of his opponent and it will be a wrap.

Back