"Merciless" Ray Mercer on MMA vs. boxing

Could you guys imagine how bad Jose Aldo would destroy Floyd Mayweather in a MMA match? Floyd would go down in 2 leg kicks, Floyd wouldn't even get close.

Here's some Bullshit rankings I found online. Only deep list I can find.

http://zewkey.com/rankingstest.htm

Andrei Arvloski ranked 28th of 29... I would take almost every top ten HW boxer against him in an MMA fight at this point.

The point is that standing in front of an MMA fighter and wearing him out with hooks while slipping is not an effective strategy.

thats not his style though
thats what happens when he fights someone with the skills to compete with him
but you put somebody with a 100th of toneys skills and some mma training and he would lay some people the fuck out

Could you guys imagine how bad Jose Aldo would destroy Floyd Mayweather in a MMA match? Floyd would go down in 2 leg kicks, Floyd wouldn't even get close.

PBF by straight right.

thats not his style though
thats what happens when he fights someone with the skills to compete with him
but you put somebody with a 100th of toneys skills and some mma training and he would lay some people the fuck out

People saying stuff like that don't know what they are talking about.

James Toney was in his prime during the early and mid 90's. When he was in shape and at his normal weight of 160 he was a beast. He was fast in the feet ad hands. Had extrmemly accurate punches with power.

Dudes bringing up any fight with Couture don't know shit about boxing or James Toney. He was 60 lbs and 15 years out of Prime.

James Toney was in his prime during the early and mid 90's. When he was in shape and at his normal weight of 160 he was a beast. He was fast in the feet ad hands. Had extrmemly accurate punches with power.

Dudes bringing up any fight with Couture don't know shit about boxing or James Toney. He was 60 lbs and 15 years out of Prime.

for real
just watch toney vs mccallum its a chess match for 12 rounds cuse they know how to play the game but if both guys were against lesser players they would have checkmate in two moves

Boxing fans underestimate both the power of other strikes but more importantly, the huge difference in the dynamic of the game.

its a two way street though alot of fans of kickboxing or mma dont understand the difference between punching and boxing

Pure boxing and MMA "boxing" is not the same, in MMA you must be checking a lot of other thing beside the opponent fists, take downs, kicks, knees, elbows, submissions , if you boxin MMA as in a boxing match you are dead, for this reason seems to be "sub par boxing", because really is not the boxing that we can see in a ring under boxing rules, in a regular MMA fight more than 50 % of time they are not boxing, i dont know what kind of MMA fight u saw that the 90 % of time they are using pure box. Punches uses are not same in all sports, not in Muai Thay, Karate, Tae kwon do, different techniques , you must wide your spectrum and start see another sports , maybe you can uinderstand that an MMA fighter can

Not really. It depends on who you face in MMA.

In boxing, you are facing a boxer. MMA guys essentially have no shot unless they are like a 1% freak that can come in late and have success.

Almost everyone in MMA comes in late from some other martial art. A boxer coming and and getting matched up against the right guy can give him a very good chance. There are plenty of guys in MMA who have crap grappling.

Look at it this way. Take the top 50 in boxing and the top 50 in MMA. Let's use HW as an example. Any MMA HW coming into boxing has ZERO chance against the 50th ranked HW boxer in the world. It would be a disaster.

You look at the 25th-50th ranked MMA guys. Who are they even? Most hardcores probably wouldn't even know them. Id give a top boxer a decent chance against the 50th ranked MMA guy.

I have to disagree. The top MMA strikers would actually be in with a chance against many boxers. Using heavyweights as an example you have Mark Hunt, Andrei Arlovski, Junior Dos Santos, and Alistair Overeem whom all have decent hands. They'd at least have a chance against a boxer.

Now, I do have to say a boxer always has a punchers chance at least in MMA. That is the biggest difference. The most dangerous weapons in boxing are extremely effective weapons in MMA as well. If the MMA fighter chooses to stand with the boxer, there is always a chance superior boxing skills could win. That being said, there is much more to stand up in MMA than just boxing skills. Also, any good MMA fighter could mix up striking to grappling to expose a boxer's weak points.

I'll give it to you that an MMA fighter will have a slight less chance of winning in a boxing match, because so many of an MMA fighter's weapons are taken away. There are some that have good enough boxing to have a chance, but they'd still most likely be underdogs in a match.

I have to disagree. The top MMA strikers would actually be in with a chance against many boxers. Using heavyweights as an example you have Mark Hunt, Andrei Arlovski, Junior Dos Santos, and Alistair Overeem whom all have decent hands. They'd at least have a chance against a boxer.

Now, I do have to say a boxer always has a punchers chance at least in MMA. That is the biggest difference. The most dangerous weapons in boxing are extremely effective weapons in MMA as well. If the MMA fighter chooses to stand with the boxer, there is always a chance superior boxing skills could win. That being said, there is much more to stand up in MMA than just boxing skills. Also, any good MMA fighter could mix up striking to grappling to expose a boxer's weak points.

I'll give it to you that an MMA fighter will have a slight less chance of winning in a boxing match, because so many of an MMA fighter's weapons are taken away. There are some that have good enough boxing to have a chance, but they'd still most likely be underdogs in a match.

1286531162354.gif

Kevin Johnson is ranked 45th on boxrec.I can promise you know MMA guy is going 12 with him.

I'm sure someone like JDS might beat a few cans. Maybe get to 6-0 or 7-0 against nobodies, but when we get up around top 50 or 40, none of the guys you listed have a chance.

None of these guys would last 10 rounds, let alone 12 against any top 30 boxer.

James Toney was in his prime during the early and mid 90's. When he was in shape and at his normal weight of 160 he was a beast. He was fast in the feet ad hands. Had extremely accurate punches with power.

James "Lights Out" Toney was a bad man in his prime, a monster. This video shows some of his skills. They were out of this world.

edit...
Look at his record. He gave some serious competition their first loss. Its like a "Whos Who" of that time period. A person could make a case, he had the hardest record of the Big Three during their primes.

Last edited:
the 50th ranked boxer should come over to mma then, and make himself some millions when he ascends to the very top of the sport. shouldn't be very tough.

they are different sports and neither directly translates to the other, obviously. being a great boxer would obviously be an asset for someone coming into mma.

the 50th ranked boxer should come over to mma then, and make himself some millions when he ascends to the very top of the sport. shouldn't be very tough.

they are different sports and neither directly translates to the other, obviously. being a great boxer would obviously be an asset for someone coming into mma.

He said the mma guy wouldn't win at boxing... not that the boxer would own teh UFCz!!1!1!

Back