Mass Effect Andromeda, v2: In a Galaxy far far away..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know PEB got hired by Bioware.

2d2fvat.gif

I will say, I think the space travel looks good. Especially the black holes.

Played the game on PC which I think I read already has the first patch released. Game is amazing. Made it to the first planet/battle. I joined origin access cause of all the negative stuff I was reading and as I suspected it was all exaggerated and overblown. All the ME fans will be fine. Won't have much time to play today unfortunately.

Did the trial last night and finished the opening part at planet 7 and arrived at the Nexus.

So far the pros are:
  • Actually found the story interesting so far. Kinda dig the pilgrimage angle.
  • Lot of options on the skill trees.
  • Environments looked cool.
  • I didn't mind the new conversation system although I do miss renegade answers.
  • The voice acting.
The cons on the other hand:
  • Character models and animations look awful. Like they've regressed from previous MEs.
  • The cover mechanic is atrocious. Completely wonky and unpredictable.
  • You can pause to switch a weapon or use a power up but there's no real tactical pause to aim, or set up power usage, or to use a party member's power or to move them.
  • Party members are basically like Gears of War now. Don't really have much control other than telling them where to go in real time.
  • Overall the combat and the environments didn't feel as polished as in past games. It's very early in so it could have been just the 1st area and being that I only used basic powers.
  • Early but didn't dig the music as much.

If this was some generic space game and not Mass Effect not sure I'd continue playing, but I'm getting it for free so likely will when I have more free time. I don't see this being up there with the OT, but I'm going to give it a chance.

Last edited:
Can't get my preload to install because of VC++ 2010. Spent hours trying to fix dis shit and nothing

Might have to bite the bullet and try a non-pirate windows installation

<{boneytears}>

So is the character creator really that bad? I've seen some complaints but haven't watched any videos yet to try to avoid spoilers

From what I've seen it sucks compared to the Dragon Age series but better than the previous Mass Effect games. I don't understand why the ME series has such shitty character creation.

Did the trial last night and finished the opening part at planet 7 and arrived at the Nexus.

So far the pros are:
  • Actually found the story interesting so far. Kinda dig the pilgrimage angle.
  • Lot of options on the skill trees.
  • Environments looked cool.
  • I didn't mind the new conversation system although I do miss renegade answers.
  • The voice acting.
The cons on the other hand:
  • Character models and animations look awful. Like they've regressed from previous MEs.
  • The cover mechanic is atrocious. Completely wonky and unpredictable.
  • You can pause to switch a weapon or use a power up but there's no real tactical pause to aim, or set up power usage, or to use a party member's power or to move them.
  • Party members are basically like Gears of War now. Don't really have much control other than telling them where to go in real time.
  • Overall combat the and environments didn't feel as polished as in past games. It's very early in so it could have been just the 1st area and being that I only used basic powers.
  • Early but didn't did the music as much.

If this was some generic space game and not Mass Effect not sure I'd continue playing, but I'm getting it for free so likely will when I have more free time. I don't see this being up there with the OT, but I'm going to give it a chance.

I wasn't a fan of the cover system. I liked ME3 much better. I'm sure I'll like it once I get used to it.

forgot the Fiance was heading to the
Movies with her mom. Going to get in a good 4-5 hours.

Fucking hate origin I'm now having repair the game after just playing it. Had to do this twice with DAI.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that all these open world games have huge flaws. Bethesda games are obviously bug ridden. Even Witcher 3 with it's universal acclaim (none of which I'm disputing it deserves) has pretty mediocre combat. More than that, as far as open world games the world feels the most shallow when it comes to exploration. It's lore is accessible but not particularly deep, and actually navigating the map feels much more like you're exploring just large area rather than an open world like Bethesda. Like the "Treasure Hunts". Where it's like "Oh, a clue? Where could this Armor diagram be? Oh, check it out, it's literally 10 feet off the road in the only visible housing".

My point isn't that the game is bad. It's just that it does certain things better than other games (Graphics, animation) whereas it fall short in some areas compared to others (Varied environments, exploration, combat).

While I havent played ME:A, Im anticipating a very large explorable open world, and combat that appears to be better than open world games either Bethesda or CDProjekt have put out, at the expense of graphical fidelity.

We'll see. Different strokes for different folks. I've heard people say Witcher 3 is a GOAT status game. For me it doesnt come close, but that's my point. The bigger the game, the bigger the flaws you have to accept for what the game does well. Then its up to your personal tastes.

TLDR: Shut the fuck up already.

Last edited:
Man after 2 hours of troubleshooting finally found the issue. One of the files got corrupted. So when Origin would try to repair it, it kept saying the file was in use but really Origin just couldn't delete the file. When I backed up the ME game to my desktop that's when it said it couldn't read the file so I made note of the file and skipped it. Tried to go back and manually delete the file but wasn't able to. Renamed my MEA folder and moved my backup copy back to the origin folder. Ran repair and looks like it's going to work now. I'm hoping that was the issue anyways the only reason I could see for Origin constantly saying file was in use even in safe mode.

Of course all this happens when my fiance is headed out for a good 6 hours. Well at least after this is done I'll have a good 2.5.

Skip to the 1:26 mark. Probably fake but the next 2 minutes are just flat out hilarious. I still can't stop laughing

I want this right fucking now...

I've been sucking ass at Gears lately & it's just unnecessary un-immersive stress.

Set me free, Mass Effect...
lol same, I finished the EA Access trial now Im having withdrawals..... I need a hit goddammit lol

I may have an addiction problem lol

Played the game on PC which I think I read already has the first patch released. Game is amazing. Made it to the first planet/battle. I joined origin access cause of all the negative stuff I was reading and as I suspected it was all exaggerated and overblown. All the ME fans will be fine. Won't have much time to play today unfortunately.

I'm five hours in and think it's a blast. I saw a couple really critical reviews and now after playing for a bit I realize how immensely picky and anal some of those guys are... They probably just don't get laid and are bitter to their gaming soul core.

Charge was one of my favorite abilities, the jetpack just takes it to the next level

<{JustBleed}>
Ha I'd always play as the soldier, just coz I liked to have all the weapons and it fit my play style but in ME2, I would pick the Slam as that special ability you get (haven't played in ages so I forget where you get that option) for any class.

The jetpack is an awesome feature though

Ha I'd always play as the soldier, just coz I liked to have all the weapons and it fit my play style but in ME2, I would pick the Slam as that special ability you get (haven't played in ages so I forget where you get that option) for any class.

The jetpack is an awesome feature though

I usually do mage types in RPGs and picked Biotic for my first playthrough. It was overpowered as hell in ME1. Me and Liara spamming singularity tornadoes on the battlefield was so good

<{anton}>

But I switched to vanguard permanently because of this exchange between Sovereign and Shepard:

"...You cannot escape your doom. I am the vanguard of your destruction."

Shepard was the vanguard of the reapers' destruction. Vanguard = canon

<{JustBleed}>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back