Machida in his prime vs current LHW division

Please. Rumble cuts off the cage and hurts him bad.

Machida isn't just going to allow himself to be cornered by a lumbering right hand and left high kick. Yes, Rumble could very well knock him out, but after a round a half of chasing Machida Rumble becomes Crumble and is possibly submitted.

Machida isn't just going to allow himself to be cornered by a lumbering right hand and left high kick. Yes, Rumble could very well knock him out, but after a round a half of chasing Machida Rumble becomes Crumble and is possibly submitted.
Not a chance in hell. Machida's patient style would fall right into Rumble's gameplan.

Not a chance in hell. Machida's patient style would fall right into Rumble's gameplan.

If Rumble comes charging in, he HAS to knock Lyoto out on contact...otherwise he gets Bader'd. Not to mention Lyoto has underrated sweeps and throws and a solid ground game.

Please. Rumble cuts off the cage and hurts him bad.
Have u seen 2009 machida? Hes really fast and has extremly good movements and sniper like counters.underrated takedowns lol.he even took hendo down

Even "boring" Machida loses to all of them
Matter of opinion. At least I'm sure all the fights would go to decision. Could be a loss like vs Rampage or Davis but still Machida would barely get hit.

Rumble would definitely be a KO threat but again I think you need to consider who he's been fighting. Glover and Gus are not I would say fighters who have built there rep on being hard to hit but rather on toughness and outworking opponents. Rumble represented a big step up in power from someone like Jones and they couldn't take his best shots as a result.

machida333_vice_670.jpg

vice-giangalang5.jpg

Sadly prime Machida would not do well at LHW, maybe at MW...

If Rumble comes charging in, he HAS to knock Lyoto out on contact...otherwise he gets Bader'd. Not to mention Lyoto has underrated sweeps and throws and a solid ground game.
Rumble has never even been hurt on the feet, a straight from Machida wouldn't put him to sleep unless it was some fucking immaculate timing. His TDD is great as well. Just a bad matchup for the Karate kid.

Rumble has never even been hurt on the feet, a straight from Machida wouldn't put him to sleep unless it was some fucking immaculate timing. His TDD is great as well. Just a bad matchup for the Karate kid.

Really though Rumble hasn't exactly taken a lot of punishment standing has he? I wouldn't say he's been shown to have a rock solid chin.

Again I do kind of think Rumble goes back to that old idea of the divide between LHW and HW being more than just size. Rumble to me is more in the mold of a Fedor or Crocop in terms of the power he has and I think in the face of that power opponents need superior defence. Gus and Glover though I think represent more the LHW style were fighters depends more on chin because the power they face isn't as extreme, hence Rumble ends up being a brick wall for them.

Not saying I would pick Machida to beat Rumble but I do think he has a style better suited to dealing with him than Gus and Glover with more focus on defence instead of offensive output.

Last edited:
Rumbles a bad matchup for everyone on the feet haha

Beats DC and Glover (too quick), loses to Rumble, Gus and Manuwa

Did some extra research out of curiosity and looks like Machida was fighting champions all his life! Machida has faced 28 opponents:
  • 25 of them champions of some sort
  • 19 MMA champions
  • 11 UFC champions
  • 3 nobodies
Yoel Romero - FILA champ, Olympian
Luke Rockhold - UFC MW champ, Strikeforce MW champ
C.B. Dollaway - State wrestling champ
Chris Weidman - UFC MW champ
Gegard Mousasi - DREAM LHW and MW champ, Cage Warriors MW champ, Strikeforce LHW champ
Mark Munoz - NCAA champ, FILA champ
Phil Davis - Bellator LHW champ
Dan Henderson - UFC MW champ, PRIDE MW and WW champ, Strikeforce LHW champ
Ryan Bader - TUF champ, NCAA champ
Jon Jones - UFC LHW champ, USKBA LHW champ
Randy Couture - UFC HW and LHW champ, FILA champ, NCAA champ
Quinton Jackson - UFC LHW champ, PRIDE MW champ
Mauricio Rua - UFC LHW champ, PRIDE MW champ
Rashad Evans - UFC LHW champ
Thiago Silva - ACB LHW champ
Tito Ortiz - UFC LHW champ
Rameau Sokoudjou - KSW LHW champ
Kazuhiro Nakamura - DEEP MW champ
David Heath - :(
Sam Hoger - URC HW champ
Vernon White - KotC LHW champ
Dimitri Wanderley - :(
B.J. Penn - UFC LW and WW champ
Sam Greco - WAKO champ, WKA champ
Michael McDonald - K-1 champ
Rich Franklin - UFC MW champ
Stephan Bonnar - Golden Gloves champ
Kengo Watanabe - :(

Talk about "level of competition"!
<mma4>

Some serious mental gymnastics going on here. Lol at KOTC, DEER, ksw, URC champs...and LMAO at Golden gloves champ Bonnar. Hey, I won my HS conference in wrestling. Gus & Glover were never UFC champs. Therefore, Machida's wins over shot Tito & ancient Randy are more impressive than Rumble destroying those two.

Like 5 solid wins on that list. The same people applauding his win over Penn are the same who say Diaz' last win was a "fat LW."

Let BJ fight a 220 pound Rumble. But just make sure his affairs are all in order. Do not recusciate.

Last edited:
Some serious mental gymnastics going on here. Lol at KOTC, DEER, ksw, URC champs...and LMAO at Golden gloves champ Bonnar. Hey, I won my HS conference in wrestling.

Like 5 solid wins on that list. The same people applauding his win over Penn are the same who say Diaz' last win was a "fat LW."

Let BJ fight a 220 pound Rumble. But just make sure his affairs are all in order. Do not recusciate.
You know that Wikibaby must be real good at bullshitting on his resume ahahaha

DC wins a close fight, and Rumble knocks Machida out. Machida beats Gus, Glover, and Manuwa. We already know what happens when he faces Jones.

What does bein quick have to do with beating DC? who was too quick for him?

It's body-shaming lol. DC made 2 olympic freestyle teams. Nobody is gonna outquick him. Would look exactly like Romero.

Back