Looking back at Frank Mir's career in the UFC, how would you remember him?

The talent that could have been. That wreck derailed his career by putting it on hold during a major HW transition in mma.

"Learning the intricacies of moves that Brock doesn't even know the name of."

14o2mj9.jpg

Lol....do you work for the ufc or something

No but I believe in supporting a product you talk about. For example if I stream an event illegally, I am not going to come on here and critique a fighter or performance. Simply put I don't feel I would have a right to do so. It is the same thing as sneaking into a movie, then writing a shitty review on a blog. I buy all the cards I am interested in, usually around 90% of them. The other 10% I follow twitter for round by round updates. As a Fight Pass Subscriber I can watch the card I missed later. If you are a fan of the sport, you should support it.

slick submissions especially for his size but also very limited.

He was the champ when I first got serious about following MMA. so he will always be the guy that broke Big Timmehs arm.

Hate Mir as a person, and I think he's a douche but theres no denying his LONG list of accomplishments in the UFC as a HW.

I remember Mir for snapping arms and also for freezing up while getting his head punched in by various opponents. A very dangerous guy, but sometimes I think he overthought things and kind of went on tilt.

Pete Williams shoulder.

Tank Abbott's toes

Tim Sylvia's arm

Hardonk's arm

Lesnar's leg

Kongo's neck

Nogueira's arm

Thats quite a list of trophies.

Breaker of arms.
Lord of the free folk.
No-fuss, dependable fighter.
"Stud" according to Dana.

No but I believe in supporting a product you talk about. For example if I stream an event illegally, I am not going to come on here and critique a fighter or performance. Simply put I don't feel I would have a right to do so. It is the same thing as sneaking into a movie, then writing a shitty review on a blog. I buy all the cards I am interested in, usually around 90% of them. The other 10% I follow twitter for round by round updates. As a Fight Pass Subscriber I can watch the card I missed later. If you are a fan of the sport, you should support it.
Lol. A bit self righteous but I get you.

Honestly I used to realllly be into the UFC/PRIDE and MMA in general. I'd say from 03-11ish i was a super fan and it really rivaled boxing with me as my favorite sport

Recent times haven't been kind to the UFC ( and really MMA in general). Not that its dying or anything, just not reall the same and I think most who have been watching for a long time would agree. Im long past caring about any particular fighter winning or losing

I still like watching it, coming on here and discussing fighters and current events, but i am past the point of paying to watch an mma fight especially when most of the time the cards are on the internet within a day if i miss one.

The ufc hasn't exactly been on fire with quality cards in a while although 214 was probably there best outing this year.

Just the times we live in. And no i dont think you need to pay for a sport or even support it with money to be a fan. Thats ridiculous.

A little piece of me died that day. Thanks for taking me back to the darkness again...

Only the thought of Murr getting a prolonged tuning from JDS and the memories of Dr. Bork "Vanilla Gorilla" Lesnar removing a lucky horseshoe from up his ass, kept me from losing faith in humanity. Was never really a fan.

Good luck to him a Bellator. Maybe they can hook him up with a freak fight against 3 kangaroos on rollerskates...

Just the times we live in. And no i dont think you need to pay for a sport or even support it with money to be a fan. Thats ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? It's not free. People here still complain about fighter pay. I hope that is not you, since you are not contributing one dime. Just saying dude.

A very cerebral , intelligent and deadly submission artist with incredible longetivity. People laugh now, but back in the day Tim Sylvia was pretty intimidating and Frank Mir was the huge underdog, so for me it was the shock of him breaking his arm like that.

Mir went downhill fast after the JDS title fight in 2012 though. I also remember him contemplating moving down to LHW then going the total opposite way and packing on the pounds and not the good kind. He was at his best around 240 and very flabby and slow when 260 or so.

I think had he stayed in shape and didn't try to clinch fight and strike the bigger heavyweights and worked on takedowns he could have kept going much longer. I can't think of anyone aside from Werdum hanging with him in BJJ.

I believe he was a hell of a bouncer back in the day. Really though had a poor gas tank but heart til the end of the fight. He always had my respect for that.

One of the scariest submission grapplers at HW of all time. He is a guy who definitely had his highs and lows, but if we look at his career as a whole, it was very rare to see him in a dull fight (Cro Cop bout notwithstanding). He was either the hammer or the nail but almost all his fights were exciting finishes.

For me, the two fights that will always stand out in my mind were the bouts with Big Nog. The first one, Mir looked like a beast and had Nog on the ropes from the get go. The second fight, Mir got absolutely murked but somehow managed to come back from the brink of defeat and wrench Nogueira's arm to submit a notoriously good grappler in his own right.

If you loved him, there were always those fights and his winning the belt from Sylvia. If you hated him, you could watch that Brock rematch on loop and be quite happy.

Personally, I think he's a legend. I was never his biggest fan and was definitely in the Brock camp during that feud, but Mir was a guy who definitely was cool to watch. I also think of him as a very good commentator and kind of wish he had transitioned to that role on the Florini/Cruz/Bis panel.

Back