Lance Pugmire: "Early projections for Canelo-Smith 250-300K PPV buys"

I said tree fiddy. Who is this guy i dont know the name? Quality source?

Not that it matters. I dont think Canelo himself saw this selling well.
You are really saying Pugmire is not a quality source?

One of the most well known fighters out of that side of the pond . I think only Froch or Hatton has more popularity

LOL. How about Frampton, Joshua, Brooks, Fury, or Bellow?
=)

last 2 canelo ppvs prove canelo is grossly overpaid

getting paid 3.5 million per fight when his last 2 ppvs drew very mediocre

khan - 600k
smith -250k

for comparison sake conor mcgregor has a smaller purse in mma but his last 3 ppvs he headlined all 3 made well over 1 million ppv buys

I don't believe it's that high

How he hell ?

I predicted at most 150k similar to GGG and Lemieux was an exciting opponent

If that is true than Canelo is a true superstar

Hardly any promotion non ppv opponent
I knew this was coming. You and what other credible source predicted 150k?

I gave you the like in case you were joking. In that case good one, you set it up perfectly.

It was a stupid, pointless fight. If you're going to go run and hide a division down, at least fight someone good who will divert people's attention from the GGG duck.

Canelo's star is being mismanaged at the moment.

khan - 600k
smith -250k

for comparison sake conor mcgregor has a smaller purse in mma but his last 3 ppvs he headlined all 3 made well over 1 million ppv buys

So Khan grossed over 30 Million, but the ppv' draw is overpaid @ 3.5 mill?

The smith fight grosses 12.5Mil, and despite being the sole person responsible for any buys, Canelo is overpaid? Plus that's not including the live gate of 52000 fans for a fight against a complete unknown in Liam Smith.

GTFO. Don't be jealous because mma fighters are getting fucked on the split of revenue. If they could make it in boxing, they'd make more, but you can only do what your skill set allows you to do, I suppose.

As good as the Kov/Ward fight is projected to be, I don't see it breaking 300K PPV.

Sad but true.

Kovalev would need to go full heel mode to draw people to watch his fights, do his best Drago impersonation and add some subtle racism to the mix to get Americans to rally behind Ward but then again Ward has such a boring personality even that wouldn't help him.

IMO Anthony Joshua will soon be the biggest boxing star unless someone derails the hype train badly. He's got his nation behind him, Olympic gold medalist, finishes fights with KOs and fights in the most historic and the most prestigious division. He's also popular among bodybuilding meatheads and gym bros because of his physique.

Last edited:

khan - 600k
smith -250k

If you sell 1.5 million PPVs at around $60 a pop, that is $90 million dollars.

If Conor is making less than $3 million, the problem is with the UFC.

As good as the Kov/Ward fight is projected to be, I don't see it breaking 300K PPV.

Imo 250k - 300k would be a big success for Ward/Kov. I see it doing like 150 tops.

I knew this was coming. You and what other credible source predicted 150k?

I gave you the like in case you were joking. In that case good one, you set it up perfectly.
I don't think any source with ppv knowledge predicted 150k

I wasn't joking I really thought it wasn't a strong enough ppv , combined with almost zero promotion I just couldn't see over 150k people ordering it is all .

I am sure the promotes are disappointed but they did make money through the back end .

I see it as a success because there is another combat sport heavily promoting all there ppv cards and plenty don't hit that 300k mark

But now I understand Canelos ceiling as far as loyal American ppv market

300k is a great base because if they can get a true dance partner and promote it
500-900k is a doable number

Triple G vs Canelo looks to be able to do over a million

The top dogs vs Canelo at 154 currently can do anywhere from 400k to maybe 600k

This. 300k PPVs generate huge money for Canelo. That's why boxers aren't eager to fight the biggest possible fights all the time. It would be the same in MMA if the pay was higher. Bisping would milk his title for 10 easy defenses if MMA was like boxing.

I wasn't joking I really thought it wasn't a strong enough ppv , combined with almost zero promotion I just couldn't see over 150k people ordering it is all .

I am sure the promotes are disappointed but they did make money through the back end .

I see it as a success because there is another combat sport heavily promoting all there ppv cards and plenty don't hit that 300k mark

300k is a great base because if they can get a true dance partner and promote it

Yeah I agree he can still do huge numbers with competitive opponents. Considering his popularity and previous numbers 150k just seems like such a lowball prediction. I did go back to the poll thread, and you weren't the only one predicting it would sell in that range, so if you were sincere my apologies. I'm pretty sure though that you'd be hard pressed to find another big Canelo fan happily surprised by these results.

Ward and Sergei is a meaningful fight for hardcores and the boxing community but no mainstream buzz whatsoever.
Under 200k no doubt. Neither guy has a massive fan base or country supporting them.

Conor is not making less than 3 million, you know that.

Spin job. This is what I was talking about when I said that boxing posters bring mma into things just like mma posters bring boxing into things. Prime example fellas.

Spin job. This is what I was talking about when I said that boxing posters bring mma into things just like mma posters bring boxing into things. Prime example fellas.
Mma isn't the only combat sport promoting heavily

Kickboxing does it too as did bare knuckle and those street fights

Stop playing some kind of victim here it's not flattering.

I won't argue with you I said my piece

Mma isn't the only combat sport promoting heavily

Kickboxing does it too as did bare knuckle and those street fights

Stop playing some kind of victim here it's not flattering.

I won't argue with you I said my piece

lol, keep trolling

Back