Lance Pugmire: "Early projections for Canelo-Smith 250-300K PPV buys"

cuban23

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Also not expected to break 300K according to Pugmire as well

This is less than I predicted, I thought it would clear 300K. But then again these are from his sources, so it could be a bit more, maybe a bit less.

Either way it's very obvious that for Canelo to even sniff 1M buys, he'll need to face Golovkin. Either that or hope to face Pacquiao.

Is this the guy that always lowballs the numbers? Or someone that gets the numbers correct?

If correct, pretty shtty tbh for our "superstar" of boxing.

Is this the guy that always lowballs the numbers? Or someone that gets the numbers correct?

If correct, pretty shtty tbh for our "superstar" of boxing.

You're thinking of Glaser...

This guy is a reporter for the LA Times.

I said after the Cotto fight that Canelo would get fewer and fewer viewers every time out until he fights GGG. So far that's true, and it could get worse from here. It's obvious that fans are fed up with waiting for fights.

I said after the Cotto fight that Canelo would get fewer and fewer viewers every time out until he fights GGG. So far that's true, and it could get worse from here. It's obvious that fans are fed up with waiting for fights.

On his own Canelo appears to be a 250-300K draw. But it's obvious that he needs a dance partner to get those higher numbers.

If they want to make the serious money then they have to face Golovkin. Unless they're content with the 250-300K range.

Canelo is a 300K PPV fighter with a no name opponent. GGG (based one one PPV) is 150K. That is a 2-1 ratio. Its laughable Oscar making Canelo seem like the next May/Pac. The dude lacks the skill, charisma, fan base, and command of the english language compared to those two greats even though he spends most of his time here in the states. This is encouraging news if you're for the Canelo/GGG fight in late 2017. These PPV numbers will hopefully bring delusional Oscar to a more reasonable offer.

On his own Canelo appears to be a 250-300K draw.

For how long? I see that number becoming less and less the longer he takes irrelevant fights. He is not beloved, he is not a legend, he is a guy that still needs to create his legacy.

If it doesnt break 300k, i am guessing Ward/Kova will do 125k.

Also not expected to break 300K according to Pugmire as well

This is less than I predicted, I thought it would clear 300K. But then again these are from his sources, so it could be a bit more, maybe a bit less.

Either way it's very obvious that for Canelo to even sniff 1M buys, he'll need to face Golovkin. Either that or hope to face Pacquiao.
I cringe when I hear Pac's name pop up as an opponent for Canelo. He had such a tough time with Margarito who was a big WW. Canelo's a big JMW and a better boxer.

On his own Canelo appears to be a 250-300K draw. But it's obvious that he needs a dance partner to get those higher numbers.

If they want to make the serious money then they have to face Golovkin. Unless they're content with the 250-300K range.
Doesn't really seem that the fight is marinating. Seems more to be getting stale and moldy. Let's see if the GGG vs Jacobs fight does great and the winner forces DLH to wear his fishnets at the negotiating table.

Last edited:
For how long? I see that number becoming less and less the longer he takes irrelevant fights. He is not beloved, he is not a legend, he is a guy that still needs to create his legacy.
Talked to a coworker yesterday that bought the PPV. He said he thought Liam was going to be a better fighter and was left disappointed in spending the money.

If it doesnt break 300k, i am guessing Ward/Kova will do 125k.
No way, Canelo was in a gimme fight, Kovalev vs Ward is probably the second biggest fight that can be made right now.

We can only hope.

No way, Canelo was in a gimme fight, Kovalev vs Ward is probably the second biggest fight that can be made right now.
I still dont pick it to do that many PPVs, they arent very popular fighters. Im starting to think that even if GGG and Canelo get made it still wouldnt break a mil.

As good as the Kov/Ward fight is projected to be, I don't see it breaking 300K PPV.

About what was expected for a fight with next to zero promotion

Back