Koreans Dominate African American Hair Care Industry

Weird thread, interesting subject matter though. I knew that Koreans were prevalent in the business but not by that much.

Also majorly enjoying people talk about the mysteries of black hair care ITT.

So I'm lost.

Are the South Koreans the ones holding scissors or clippers and cutting the hairs.... or are they the ones developing the products? Or are they the ones SELLING the products from the warehouses or storefronts?

Maybe it's cause I'm a halfer Asian/White but I just go to the guy that has a bunch of model cars and trains and old railroad signs on the wall of his shop with a chair from the 60s still in it and just get a high and tight every 3 weeks but I don't get spending a ton of cash on your hair.
Dude, I just finally found a legit barber in town. Had a guy in college I went to, got to know him pretty well, he knew my haircut without asking, all that good stuff, finally found one in my new place. Same thing, guy has to be in his 70s, has stuffed bass up on the walls with model cars and all that, but he gives a solid high and tight for cheap, and remembers every customer. It’s so much better than, say, Great Clips.

Dude, I just finally found a legit barber in town. Had a guy in college I went to, got to know him pretty well, he knew my haircut without asking, all that good stuff, finally found one in my new place. Same thing, guy has to be in his 70s, has stuffed bass up on the walls with model cars and all that, but he gives a solid high and tight for cheap, and remembers every customer. It’s so much better than, say, Great Clips.
Like... 12-15 dollars at most probably right?

Korea is a joke. The plastic surgery outcome is for everyone to look the fucking same way.

The only person who can cut my hair properly is a Korean.

So I'm lost.

Are the South Koreans the ones holding scissors or clippers and cutting the hairs.... or are they the ones developing the products? Or are they the ones SELLING the products from the warehouses or storefronts?

Maybe it's cause I'm a halfer Asian/White but I just go to the guy that has a bunch of model cars and trains and old railroad signs on the wall of his shop with a chair from the 60s still in it and just get a high and tight every 3 weeks but I don't get spending a ton of cash on your hair.
The article was teal deer for sure, but I managed to read most of it. Basically Korean distributors primarily/exclusively sell to other Koreans, so black business owners were struggling to get a supply chain going. There was a white guy quoted in the article who got into the business back in the 1970s before the Koreans got into it and he was able to hook up black business owners with some of his suppliers for a while, but then even he got frozen out by the Korean takeover. He says when people come to him now who want to get into the business, he strongly urges them not to. Article also says that some black business people have recently found a way to circumvent the Koreans and deal directly with the Chinese.

The effort placed in finding something to be offended by is astounding
You wouldn't be offended by being frozen out of a business by a small, insular ethnic group that makes up less than 1% of the population? There was a white guy in the article who got into the business back in the 1970s before the Koreans got into it, and even he eventually got frozen out by the Koreans. This isn't a mere microaggression or some postmodernist bullshit like that, this is how some people make their living. It's wrong.

The article was teal deer for sure, but I managed to read most of it. Basically Korean distributors primarily/exclusively sell to other Koreans, so black business owners were struggling to get a supply chain going. There was a white guy quoted in the article who got into the business back in the 1970s before the Koreans got into it and he was able to hook up black business owners with some of his suppliers for a while, but then even he got frozen out by the Korean takeover. He says when people come to him now who want to get into the business, he strongly urges them not to. Article also says that some black business people have recently found a way to circumvent the Koreans and deal directly with the Chinese.

A very good summary of the issue. It's more a story of economic barriers to entry than one of race.

And as anyone who has worked with the Korean small business community will tell you - it's not just the hair products industry where they are economically insular.

I believe most of the human hair for those gross wigs and extensions come from India. They should go ahead and make contacts in India. I have a hard time trying to put money in people’s pockets sometimes too but I don’t chalk it up to some conspiracy.

You wouldn't be offended by being frozen out of a business by a small, insular ethnic group that makes up less than 1% of the population? There was a white guy in the article who got into the business back in the 1970s before the Koreans got into it, and even he eventually got frozen out by the Koreans. This isn't a mere microaggression or some postmodernist bullshit like that, this is how some people make their living. It's wrong.
This is going to sound crazy

Stop fucking buying that shit for one

For two

They order it off amazon, so you do it

This is going to sound crazy

Stop fucking buying that shit for one

For two

They order it off amazon, so you do it

For two - no they don't. It really seems as if you didn't read the article.

Yeh, is hair extensions the only way black women can get good jobs or something?
Female beauty is associated with with long, straight flowing hair. So it's partly an inner psychological battle of acceptance when your hair is so different and not associated with any redeeming qualities. But for society to "accept" it, it has to be accepted pridefully by the individual/s.

Back