Koreans Dominate African American Hair Care Industry

Koreans involved in the beauty indutry? Impossibru!

For two - no they don't. It really seems as if you didn't read the article.
Stand by number one

Number two, bet I can find it there or some other site. If it isn’t AS good, then they’re making the product better and we’re supposed to be offended because they’re Asian ?

Took me all of I’ve seconds but yup I did find multiple sites to buy from that ship to you’re door.

And now that is going to show up in my Facebook feed, so I sacrificed here

Last edited:
Stand by number one

Number two, bet I can find it there or some other site. If it isn’t AS good, then they’re making the product better and we’re supposed to be offended because they’re Asian ?

Took me all of I’ve seconds but yup I did find multiple sites to buy from that ship to you’re door.

And now that is going to show up in my Facebook feed, so I sacrificed here

Like I said, it appears that you did not read the article. The article is about the shop owners and supply chains, not shoppers.

Like I said, it appears that you did not read the article. The article is about the shop owners and supply chains, not shoppers.
Having used online retailers to buy in bulk before I have been able to get 20% off on much smaller orders than you’d need for a store. What these people are learning is it’s hard for small business owners to compete with larger ones for the same product and that suppliers won’t sell to two stores in a given area because they do their research too. Have you ever tried to buy a franchise by chance? They walk you through al this when you’re in talks to buy if you’ve never taken a business class I would suggest reading some of their materials. In the article they showed people who did start up these, ridiculous but whatever you want I guess, stores and how they made it work. Turns out starting a company is hard huh? Probably Koreans fault. We should build a wall

Having used online retailers to buy in bulk before I have been able to get 20% off on much smaller orders than you’d need for a store. What these people are learning is it’s hard for small business owners to compete with larger ones for the same product and that suppliers won’t sell to two stores in a given area because they do their research too. Have you ever tried to buy a franchise by chance? They walk you through al this when you’re in talks to buy if you’ve never taken a business class I would suggest reading some of their materials. In the article they showed people who did start up these, ridiculous but whatever you want I guess, stores and how they made it work. Turns out starting a company is hard huh? Probably Koreans fault. We should build a wall

Like I said, you obviously didn't read the article.

With every post, you make it clear that not only did you not read the article, you don't particularly care about the specific details within the article related to the specific subject being written about.

As for whether or not I've taken a business class...I'm a business attorney with a large number of clients of immigrant origin, so the issues surrounding sourcing goods that can primarily be found in the origin country is something I'm familiar with.

I also built a large distribution center for an immigrant consumer base precisely to take advantage of bulk order discounts that are NOT available to individual retailers. Just buy it off Amazon is a pretty good clue that you have far less exposure here than I do.

So once again, read the article. Geez, why comment if you can't even do that basic level of preparation?

Here’s another business I can’t fucking believe exists but I know the guy who owns he one by me and he makes a killing. Maybe hey could try this one

https://www.rnrtires.com/

Like I said, you obviously didn't read the article.

With every post, you make it clear that not only did you not read the article, you don't particularly care about the specific details within the article related to the specific subject being written about.

As for whether or not I've taken a business class...I'm a business attorney with a large number of clients of immigrant origin, so the issues surrounding sourcing goods that can primarily be found in the origin country is something I'm familiar with.

I also built a large distribution center for an immigrant consumer base precisely to take advantage of bulk order discounts that are NOT available to individual retailers. Just buy it off Amazon is a pretty good clue that you have far less exposure here than I do.

So once again, read the article. Geez, why comment if you can't even do that basic level of preparation?

Pedantic no? Literally amazon and not online retailers, which is where they get their stuff and you know that. I can quote it to you from the article if you want, since it seems you didn’t read it

Pedantic no? Literally amazon and not online retailers, which is where they get their stuff and you know that. I can quote it to you from the article if you want, since it seems you didn’t read it

By all means, quote it so we can then return to the point of the article - which is about how the African American retailers have had to find ways to circumvent the Korean wholesalers.

By all means, quote it so we can then return to the point of the article - which is about how the African American retailers have had to find ways to circumvent the Korean wholesalers.
So to be clear you blame Koreans for making it hard for black people to succeed. What an interesting stance to take.

Going to copy and paste by phone

Their foray into the business was also during a time of white flight and few business owners were willing to establish in black neighborhoods.

"A lot of Koreans were willing to take the risks. They saw a business opportunity that others didn't see," said Sam Hwang, vice president of the National Federation of Beauty Suppliers, a trade group for Korean-American stores. "Koreans embraced those neighborhoods and they control the market today because they took the risk and were first to get in."

So first they literally took the jobs nobody wanted^^^

But Korean immigrants innovated the storefront model in the 1960s when they began selling wigs to African-American women. Before then, products were sold door-to-door.

Then they built the market where it didn’t exist^^^

Coffey, though, says that major suppliers have denied her requests for popular products because stores nearby already carry that company's lines.

Goes on to say they don’t meet minimum orders and the like to get a major retailer, which happens in every business, goes double for established ones^^^^

Hwang said being Korean doesn't mean Korean wholesalers will automatically supply you with products.

He started his business nine years ago in Newark, N.J., but said he doesn't carry the leading lines of hair extensions. The major brands already have exclusive accounts with older stores, making it difficult for anyone of any race to get in.

"The market is saturated and the stores who got in first carry the premium brands," he said.

But Hwang said the Koreans fare better because of the support they receive from other Koreans already in the business. They can purchase together to meet the minimums or use connections to get supplied by retailers with accounts.

Hwang is a very traditional African name so his guy knows the business in and out^^^

Last edited:
I tried, but I just couldn't care.

Spend less money and effort on stupid shit. That's the moral of this story.

So to be clear you blame Koreans for making it hard for black people to succeed. What an interesting stance to take.

Going to copy and paste by phone

Their foray into the business was also during a time of white flight and few business owners were willing to establish in black neighborhoods.

"A lot of Koreans were willing to take the risks. They saw a business opportunity that others didn't see," said Sam Hwang, vice president of the National Federation of Beauty Suppliers, a trade group for Korean-American stores. "Koreans embraced those neighborhoods and they control the market today because they took the risk and were first to get in."

So first they literally took the jobs nobody wanted^^^

So to be clear...show me where I blame anyone for anything?

And your quoted section is from the history of the industry when it started transitioning to wigs, not the modern conversation about how the retailers are responding.

First it was rub n tug, now this....

So to be clear...show me where I blame anyone for anything?

And your quoted section is from the history of the industry when it started transitioning to wigs, not the modern conversation about how the retailers are responding.
You mean where the Chinese are coming in and underselling the Koreans? Yeah. That’s happening to. I’m showing how the business got established that is going to fill the needs. You’re saying we should take it from them?

So they took the jobs nobody wanted. Built the business up. But since they’re immigrants taking their jobs we should act.

Do you have a combover by chance

This story reminds me about wife goes to get her nails done and says they are all asian and complaining about it. She says they are rude and talk on the phone whole time in asian and are not very attentive. She cant find a latino or white owned one. (i'm latino she's white so she's not prejudiced just doesnt like poor service.

I'm fucking cracking up at "talk on the phone whole time in asian".

This thread has delivered.

You mean where the Chinese are coming in and underselling the Koreans? Yeah. That’s happening to. I’m showing how the business got established that is going to fill the needs. You’re saying we should take it from them?

So they took the jobs nobody wanted. Built the business up. But since they’re immigrants taking their jobs we should act.

Do you have a combover by chance

As usual, just a steady stream of idiocy from you. you start with statements that illustrate you have no idea what the article was about and have gradually devolved to statements that illustrate you have interest in discussing the subject either.

Where does anyone in this thread say we should act? Where do I say we should take it from them? Why would I, of all people, have an anti-immigrant stance? How could I ever have a combover?

Seriously, you're one of the worst posters here. There are more offensive posters and more ignorant ones but they're also mostly playing up gimmicks. You appear to actually think your brand of shitposting can be salvaged by pretending to have a point after being called on it.

Actually African Americans should serve and buy from each other instead of everyone else. Boom, problem solved.
The problem is that when a black business decides to diversify its clientele like Shea attempted, the black community will lash out and threaten to boycott. And they will do that while loyally patronizing non-black-owned business that have a diverse clientele.

As usual, just a steady stream of idiocy from you. you start with statements that illustrate you have no idea what the article was about and have gradually devolved to statements that illustrate you have interest in discussing the subject either.

Where does anyone in this thread say we should act? Where do I say we should take it from them? Why would I, of all people, have an anti-immigrant stance? How could I ever have a combover?

Seriously, you're one of the worst posters here. There are more offensive posters and more ignorant ones but they're also mostly playing up gimmicks. You appear to actually think your brand of shitposting can be salvaged by pretending to have a point after being called on it.

This whole article is silly to start, but it just shows people learning business is hard. You can dress that up however you want, but that’s all the is

This whole article is silly to start, but it just shows people learning business is hard. You can dress that up however you want, but that’s all the is

Ah, now the entire article is silly because I called you out on being a shitty poster.
<puh-lease75>

The problem is that when a black business decides to diversify its clientele like Shea attempted, the black community will lash out and threaten to boycott. And they will do that while loyally patronizing non-black-owned business that have a diverse clientele.
Some would call that racist

Back