Social Gingers, Afro's, blondies and baldies: New French law to protect against hair based workplace discrimination

And what's so funny about what I said? As @SmilinDesperado said black people, but especially black women, have dealt with racism over the natural texture of our hair for generations now. It's bad enough that there's a whole industry that's been shaming black women into dousing their hair with chemicals and trying to straighten it to conform to white standards of attractiveness. That's already gross. Saying someone NEEDS to style their hair a certain way to be employed is next level. If the tables were turned and someone told you that you had to get a perm or be unemployed I would bet that you would not like it.

Yep....went to a school for a while like that and there were all types of dress codes. But then we didn't make a big deal of it and try to turn it into something its not...indeed.

You're a good egg sir.

It's honestly kind of wild to me that you would have to explain to someone that requiring everyone that works somewhere to dress a certain way IS NOT the same thing as telling a minority they can't wear their hair the way it naturally is. They have to style it the way white people do if they want to be employed. And somehow people don't think that's racist. Lmao ok probably because it's not happening to you.

He's really not though lol.

If I shut out everyone that didn't think like me, 2 things would happen sir.

1.) I wouldn't learn about different points of view, or what other people see...even if I don't share someones point of view on a different topic doesn't mean I can't learn.

And we might see eye to eye on a thousand other subjects.
Im sure there's a ton of people that don't share my point of view on things, but they allow me to express myself.
That's important in life.

2.) I would end up only speaking to myself and my wife because I'm the only one interesting enough to deal with me as a whole besides my wife lol.

If I shut out everyone that didn't think like me, 2 things would happen sir.

1.) I wouldn't learn about different points of view, or what other people see...even if I don't share someones point of view on a different topic doesn't mean I can't learn.

And we might see eye to eye on a thousand other subjects.
Im sure there's a ton of people that don't share my point of view on things, but they allow me to express myself.
That's important in life.

2.) I would end up only speaking to myself and my wife because I'm the only one interesting enough to deal with me as a whole besides my wife lol.
Well sure but I wouldn't pat someone on the back for making a really crappy and not applicable comparison and then running off into the night. Especially someone that does that every day. Nothing respectable about that.

It's honestly kind of wild to me that you would have to explain to someone that requiring everyone that works somewhere to dress a certain way IS NOT the same thing as telling a minority they can't wear their hair the way it naturally is. They have to style it the way white people do if they want to be employed. And somehow people don't think that's racist. Lmao ok probably because it's not happening to you.

You expect empathy from chuds?

Their entire political ideology is built around the idea that "if it doesn't affect me, it's not a problem"

You expect empathy from chuds?

Their entire political ideology is built around the idea that "if it doesn't affect me, it's not a problem"
Pretty much. Imagine comparing a dress code to shaming an entire race for their natural appearance and then leaving, thinking you made some sort of point. But it's easy for them to dismiss racism since they've never had to experience it. If it doesn't effect ME, then it doesn't exist!

Stupid.

The context you're missing is that this so-called self hatred has been passed down for generations and was forced upon black women.
By who?? Forced by who? And when??? That was then and this is now. Living in the past is not helping them.

What looks attractive now in 2024
vs. what is considered "acceptable" or "professional" in school and work are different things.
yeah I know. Not sure why this is being made so complicated.
Women didn't start wearing these things out of self-hate, they did it because they were told their hair was ugly.
And?? When was that? This is 2024. No excuse to wear fake nonsense today. Especially since it's so darn unattractive.

And if they wanted to get a job, or be presentable, they had to do their hair in a certain way.
When? pre-1960s? It's 2024. They need to let it go. Especially since they most likely weren't alive back then.
That way was passed down from their mama and their grand mama. That was putting some harsh chemicals in your hair to straighten it.
Harsh chemicals suck. Especially since they are paying so much to do it. Why pay for something that is unattractive and sucks?
If your natural hair isn't "acceptable",
aaoooooh!! Who said natural hair isn't acceptable?? You must not have read my posts properly. There's definitely some "context you are missing".

why would you be surprised that women would wear wigs?
On Halloween or a theater play... Not surprised. Why black women cling on to wig/weaves KNOWING it's not attractive is what surprises me. Like I said, it's an aspect that keeps them behind black south american, Caribbean, African, etc etc girls. That makes it very puzzling on why they stick with it.
If short or frizzy hair isn't considered attractive or feminine, again, why surprised at the wigs?
Who said that?? If you saw one of the girls I was dating in Brazil in 2021 you would have never asked me that.

It takes some work to manage black hair, and trying to straighten it everyday in order for it to be deemed acceptable for school or corporate would take up time.
Who doesn't accept it? And why are they so worried about what schools or corporate thinks? Saving time and money is more important in that aspect.
It's not even like this sort of discrimination has completely gone. An afro would naturally grow out of a black man/woman's head and it would be seen as unprofessional or not up to standards by many.
I don't agree with this nugget at all. This isn't the 1950's anymore. If a part time A-hole such as myself can accept it than so can everyone.
Common black hairstyles that help to tame and manage black hair are looked down on as being part of some gang or weed culture.
No one says it needs to be grown out to Afroman size and be kept that way at all times. And like I said, this isn't the 1950's anymore.
People literally will ask to touch black peoples' hair as if we were at a petting zoo.
And? Just say no. But when I was traveling through South America all through 2021 - TBA I had NOOOOOOOOO problem when females leaned in to get a better look at my eyes etc etc without asking. Don't be so sensitive.
Again, shouldn't be surprising why there's this so-called self hatred.
It's on them to toughen up and make a change. If MANY females in Uganda can make that change than so can American females.

Last edited:
Back