Jon Jones building strength with Earthshaking Deadlift

Jon has lost some strength. He seemed much stronger and exposlive in his old powerlifting vids.

That’s called a block pull. It’s a deadlift variation. A low block pull more specifically.

You can adjust the height of the bar however you want to. Most people use a higher starting position but these lower blocks have become more popular.

Pulling from lower block won’t make the lift that much easier. You can maybe pull an extra 50 pounds. Once the bar starts over the knee you can pull hundreds more.

I’d say Jon can conventional deadlift around 500. It’s a fairly average number for his weight, which I’m guessing is around 230. But he’s not a powerlfiter and most mma fighters don’t have great lifts tbh.

Who cares. He clearly likes and admires powerlifting and powerlifting is not a sport where people scrutinize each other’s numbers.

Being lanky usually means you have better deadlifting leverages but not always. Jons lockout position doesn’t look that great. The bar is fairly high up his legs. In real beast lifters they lock out inches above the knee.

For perspective. 190 pound woman

And Cailer - World record holder - Amazing deadlifting leverages.

Keep in mind it's been nearly 3 years since Jones quit power lifting which started in 2015 and he chose not to do it again after OSP.

Didn’t know he said he stopped. Why?
Look at the video where Greg Jackson was overhead saying powerlifting was going to be a problem at cage side Jones vs OSP UFC 197. Apparently they attributed the proformance to Jones new muscle bound physique so Jones stopped he talked about it on Rogans podcast

Jon has lost some strength. He seemed much stronger and exposlive in his old powerlifting vids.

That’s called a block pull. It’s a deadlift variation. A low block pull more specifically.

You can adjust the height of the bar however you want to. Most people use a higher starting position but these lower blocks have become more popular.

Pulling from lower block won’t make the lift that much easier. You can maybe pull an extra 50 pounds. Once the bar starts over the knee you can pull hundreds more.

I’d say Jon can conventional deadlift around 500. It’s a fairly average number for his weight, which I’m guessing is around 230. But he’s not a powerlfiter and most mma fighters don’t have great lifts tbh.

Who cares. He clearly likes and admires powerlifting and powerlifting is not a sport where people scrutinize each other’s numbers.

Being lanky usually means you have better deadlifting leverages but not always. Jons lockout position doesn’t look that great. The bar is fairly high up his legs. In real beast lifters they lock out inches above the knee.

appreciate yall who are droppin some knowledge

DeadlyDisastrousKusimanse.gif

Ha. Perfection

Great post. I enjoyed reading that.

Nothing like making big gains right after being busted for turinabol to convince the world you've turned over a new leaf.

Maybe he is coming back this year after all?

Can any of you weights guys tell how much that is?

Maybe he is going to HW finally.

deadlift is meaningless when your arms are that long. he can stand up straight and the bar doesnt even come off the floor

Look at the video where Greg Jackson was overhead saying powerlifting was going to be a problem at cage side Jones vs OSP UFC 197. Apparently they attributed the proformance to Jones new muscle bound physique so Jones stopped he talked about it on Rogans podcast

That’s a very specific moment in time to find haha

Interesting he made this realization cageside and not during fight prep. I wonder why he blamed the lifting and not the time off.

MMA and boxing couches are notorious for hating on lifting. They say it makes you stiff slow tired etc.

Of course strength and conditioning coaches disagree. Some even say getting stronger is the biggest difference you can make in an athlete.

I wonder which is true. I wonder how wrestling coaches view lifting?

The only sport I know of that has a culture in the weight room is football and nobody is calling those athletes slow.

Maybe he is coming back this year after all?

Can any of you weights guys tell how much that is?

Maybe he is going to HW finally.

<mma4> My man putting in work, Bad Bones Jones "Hard Work"...

Dude's hairline has been receding for years. His brothers are going to be bald af too in a few years. Small price to pay for god tier genetics that family possesses.

Small price to pay for doing lots of steroids.

Oh wait... there's also the limp dick problem too I guess. Pretty big price to pay actually.

It don't count if you have to put the weight on a platform.

Here's what a real deadlift looks like.

Athletes with shitty genetics can take all the PEDs they want and still get blown away by a god tier genetically gifted athlete running a fraction of the gear.

Theres so many guys out there trying to get picked up and go pro in sports that spend and use more shit than 95% of the pro league and they still get outperformed. Bodybuilders for example, some of them spend and take twice as much as the current Mr. Olympia and they can't even win a show to earn a pro card, let alone compete with professionals.

Genetics over everything. God tier genetics with god tier PEDs are what professional sports is and will always be.

Let me know when you wake up if you think otherwise.

Small price to pay for doing lots of steroids.

Oh wait... there's also the limp dick problem too I guess. Pretty big price to pay actually.

QJMn5QN.gif

Yeah, because an athlete that clears millions per fight isn't going to have someone to handle their PCT.

Also yeah, once you roid you get limp dick 100% every time. All professional athletes are sterile yo.

Back