Jon Jones building strength with Earthshaking Deadlift

Its 100% not common, unless you go to a hardcore powerlifting gym you wont see ppl pulling 500+ at your regular gym. You get maybe a few people in your average gym that could pull that.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. At a "regular gym" as you put it, 95-100% of the people that go there have no idea what they are doing. At least, from what I've seen. But I had a local powerlifting gym luckily, I would say the majority of people lifting there for a few years could do 500+. With a handful of 600+. Even guys who only weighed 170-180.

I think my point was that anyone interested in heavy deadlifting could get there within a few years commonly. But in contrast, as I said, your average gym rat has no idea that there's even a world beyond exercise machines. Those free weights are scary and you'll get injured using them. That kind of mentality.

Dope

I am only bringing this thread back to life to say that a 600# deadlift does NOT mean Jon Jones was ever on steroids. As I have said earlier in this thread I have been able to lift the same weight with a similar (smaller build) 100% steroid free. Thanks for your time, and happy holidays to all.

#drugtested

Last edited:
Who gives a shit?

He isn’t a power lifter. He beats every man they put in the cage with him, his strength and conditioning seem to be working pretty well to me.

Its impressive as hell and hes a tall skinny guy and a fighter not a lifter.

It amazes me any of these guys get time to lift with the insane training they have to do for fighting

Who gives a shit?

He isn’t a power lifter. He beats every man they put in the cage with him, his strength and conditioning seem to be working pretty well to me.

I actually agree, powerlifting doesn't make one prepared for a high level MMA fight. Just ask Koklyaev (who I have major respect for as a strength athlete). I only resurrected this thread to say that Jon's level of powerlifting achievement could be achieved without PEDs. Make sense?

DeadlyDisastrousKusimanse.gif

Lol

Who gives a shit?

the peds play into that you know that right.

I actually agree, powerlifting doesn't make one prepared for a high level MMA fight. Just ask Koklyaev (who I have major respect for as a strength athlete). I only resurrected this thread to say that Jon's level of powerlifting achievement could be achieved without PEDs. Make sense?
Dude stop it with the humblebrag.
Every who has ever lifted knows a 550 dead is fuck all when you weigh 230lb. Especially off blocks, and especially when your build is perfect for a the lift. Doesn't require steroids, lol, nor does it require anything other than training a few times a week in weights for a couple years at most.

Edit: when I say JJ build is perfect for the lift, it is perfect for getting the lift to a very high but sub elite level. He'd need more mass to get it elite. Plus his 3 lift Total would suck cos he couldn't Bench shit with an 84" span
These neckbeards in this thread just aint never walked into a gym.

I believe its 545lbs.

but that isn't a real deadlift, he is pulling it off blocks.
Yeah, starting to get in the "rack pull" territory more than it is a deadlift if you're not gonna get it up off the floor.

Can anyone knowledgeably assess how common it is to lift that weight without juicing?
A friend of mine who's lifting can deadlift 518 pounds at 21 years of age.
He's way more muscular for his frame than Jon, but he's rather short (same height as Conor McGregor) and he has short arms as well, so someone like Jon could pull that off naturally i guess.
I mean: Jones' legs are long as well, but his arms are longer in comparison, so that's a big advantage.
There's by the way a 17 or 18 year old lifter named Sawyer Klatt (iirc) who deadlifts 700 pounds and he competes at 210 pounds or so.
(He's not bigger than Jones as well).

Back