Jon Jones building strength with Earthshaking Deadlift

Can anyone knowledgeably assess how common it is to lift that weight without juicing?

It's not really that hard, but the reality is that most people who lift that heavy juice anyway, cuz why not.

You’ve also clearly never deadlifted.

Longer reach = Longer range of motion.

Most tall people who deadlift heavy use blocks.
Wait what?
Longer reach means less ROM
If you have two guys same height the guy with longer reach has less room to travel to lock out and has better leverage from the get
ectomorph-weight-lifting-proportions-deadlift-arm-length.jpg

Can anyone knowledgeably assess how common it is to lift that weight without juicing?

I think I'm somewhat knowledgeable on that question, from experience. Jon is much bigger than me with similar build (long arms, long legs, short torso), access to real coaches, and obviously a far superior athlete.

I did this without ever touching steroids.

Last edited:

Common, Alan Thrall is a natural lifter and he Squats that number.

In a natty powerlifting meet, Jones is a couple of 100lbs off from winning his weight class.

450 is 65 under his lift there and I'm a 33 year old desk jockey w/o access to juice. Deadlift regularly and you can get to 500 w/o juice. I'm an alcoholic too so that gets in the way as well. A natty lifter - without any sports/athletic training outside of their own programming - can hit 500.

I'm no lifting expert, so can a pro explain to me whe he has his arms wrapped around the outside of his knees?

Jon has lost some strength. He seemed much stronger and exposlive in his old powerlifting vids.

That’s called a block pull. It’s a deadlift variation. A low block pull more specifically.

You can adjust the height of the bar however you want to. Most people use a higher starting position but these lower blocks have become more popular.

Pulling from lower block won’t make the lift that much easier. You can maybe pull an extra 50 pounds. Once the bar starts over the knee you can pull hundreds more.

I’d say Jon can conventional deadlift around 500. It’s a fairly average number for his weight, which I’m guessing is around 230. But he’s not a powerlfiter and most mma fighters don’t have great lifts tbh.

Who cares. He clearly likes and admires powerlifting and powerlifting is not a sport where people scrutinize each other’s numbers.

Being lanky usually means you have better deadlifting leverages but not always. Jons lockout position doesn’t look that great. The bar is fairly high up his legs. In real beast lifters they lock out inches above the knee.

For perspective. 190 pound woman

And Cailer - World record holder - Amazing deadlifting leverages.

Dude! That's really impressive. Didn’t even reverse your grip. I'd be pretty psyched with that lift as well. Wow.

I think I'm somewhat knowledgeable on that question, from experience. Jon is much bigger than me with similar build (long arms, long legs, short torso), access to real coaches, and obviously a far superior athlete.

I did this without ever touching steroids.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he is coming back this year after all?

Can any of you weights guys tell how much that is?

Maybe he is going to HW finally.

so that the guy who never ever taken riods NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. if I was usada I would show up to the gym tom to get a sample.

he only fighting in 2018 if it with his drug dealer in the alley

Damn. By the looks of those weights he's lifting somewhere between nobody gives a shit and you're not fighting this year

For a 6’4 male over 225 pounds? Anyone who lifts consistently for long enough.

I can’t do it but I’m an average skinny white guy standing 5’10 weighing 155. I can handle 420 though, so someone Jones size (6 inches taller and 70 pounds larger, infinity times more “explosive”) it really shouldn’t be too hard at all.

Black ones are 35 lbs not 45.

More like 2 inches of wood that is only there so you don't damage the floor when dropping the weights. You act like he's doing a rack pull and calling it a deadlift.
What? Lol

I literally just said he's deadlifting 545 off blocks... Because that's what they are. Never said anything negative about to exercise.
About 4 inch blocks. I have some custom ones at my house.

Wait what?
Longer reach means less ROM
If you have two guys same height the guy with longer reach has less room to travel to lock out and has better leverage from the get
ectomorph-weight-lifting-proportions-deadlift-arm-length.jpg

You’re right. Assuming two people are the same height a longer reach is preferable

The taller you are the longer your range of motion. I’m 6” 4 and I use blocks

Back