Jon Fitch entire UFC payment revealed

A few points:

- it's not a lot of money but what else do u think Fitch could do to earn that sort of money over the last 8 years?

- he made significantly more in sponsorships etc.

- he's not a big draw. even thought I really like him and hope he comes back to the UFC soon, many people don't feel the same way.

Ian McCall's debut fight bonus got him about 25% of what Fitch got in his whole UFC career

didn't ian get something like 80k with his fight purse + bonus?

25% of what fitch made in his whole ufc career is like 370k lol

Tell that to Michael Jordan.The man made hundreds of millions from sponsors. He made so much money from sponsors he actually took less salary so his team could pick up better players.
People forget that Jordan was never the highest paid player in the NBA throughout his career. But he was pulling something like 20 million a year from endorsements (Nike, Hanes, Gatorade, Wheaties, etc).

how do u fight that many times and have 1 damn OTN bonus?

if u are not gonna finish fights at least get into exciting ones.

Cowboy Cerrone has been in the UFC for 2 1/2 years and made 300K in bonuses, thats without salary, sponsors and all the rest. Lauzon has made about the same in that time.

Fitch made almost 200K in one night that one time he had an exciting fight and most of that is due to Erick Silva.

People forget that Jordan was never the highest paid player in the NBA throughout his career. But he was pulling something like 20 million a year from endorsements (Nike, Hanes, Gatorade, Wheaties, etc).

MJ still is rolling in that Hanes sponsorship money. And tiger at his popularity peak had crazy amount of sponsorship. He was the highest pga earner but it was nothing compared to his sponsorships.

Average salary of 185,000/yr for his 8 year stint.

Wow so underpaid. I carry a gun and fight people for keeps as a living for a fraction of that. He's a boring fighter and still made more than most of the working public.

They are all underpaid IMO. That being said that what happens when you are in a league that isn't as major as the majors such as the MLB,NBA,NFL,BPL, La Ligua etc. Think of it this way the minimum salary for an MLS soccer player is 35.125k
Even in higher paying leagues like the NFL, most of those guys have very short careers. The vast majority of the practice squad guys are lucky if they last 2 years with all the roster turnover every year.

One thing you guys are forgetting about is the way fighters care for themselves. Meaning: hotels, car rentals, HEALTH INSURANCE, plane tickets, etc. John Cholish and Jacob Volkmann both recently revealed that fighters have to pay for those things and more should they need it. Thats kinda shitty considering bundles are available to the public yet a corporation like the UFC doesn't carry it on to their roster.

That being said, not sure how Fitch carried himself. Putting all that "draw", "headliner", "exciting factor" stuff aside, he put in his work and went out and did what he trained for. Sure, he also put people asleep like me and others, but that shouldn't be a factor in determining the amount of money he gets. One thing I agree on is that he needed to change his ways in order to get more attention thus granting him more revenue. Besides, the market department is in charge of the attention part. I just hope some of you know that the UFC can hype ANY fighter no matter what.

That's pretty garbage pay for a job you can't possibly do in the entire second half of your life. The UFC should be ashamed. It calls itself the top flight and wants us to think of it as a major sports org. Well pay your athletes like the real majors do! I'm sorry, but if a dude is in the top 10 of their weight class, they are a "star athlete", regardless of ability to promote or put on astonishing fights. Winning is winning. To paraphrase what someone else said earlier in the thread, isn't Dana supposed to be the promoter?

That's pretty low considering the fact of how high he was ranked and that he won the majority of his fights. A ton of other fighters make more and lose

So an elite UFC fighter is middle class basically.

Yup, pretty much. Elite UFC fighter is FAR below elite pro athlete in terms of pay...always wil be unless the pay structure changes in this industry/promotion. Its not just about time, its the pay out structure..MMA could go years/decades and still be way behind unless the structure is changed.

Elite pro athletes can make 10s of million in their 20s with no need to kiss ass and be "company man" to get more of that "locker room/discretion bonus" from promoter lol.

One thing you guys are forgetting about is the way fighters care for themselves. Meaning: hotels, car rentals, HEALTH INSURANCE, plane tickets, etc. John Cholish and Jacob Volkmann both recently revealed that fighters have to pay for those things and more should they need it. Thats kinda shitty considering bundles are available to the public yet a corporation like the UFC doesn't carry it on to their roster.

That being said, not sure how Fitch carried himself. Putting all that "draw", "headliner", "exciting factor" stuff aside, he put in his work and went out and did what he trained for. Sure, he also put people asleep like me and others, but that shouldn't be a factor in determining the amount of money he gets. One thing I agree on is that he needed to change his ways in order to get more attention thus granting him more revenue. Besides, the market department is in charge of the attention part. I just hope some of you know that the UFC can hype ANY fighter no matter what.

But we don't forget sponsorship

I just posted in a similar thread you can't compare salaries from athletes in other sports to mma. Athletes like in the nfl, nba, nhl get paid for A SEASON which include many games. Mma fighters get paid per fight and normally only fight 3-5 times a year. Your probably better off comparing what an athlete makes per game.
I know hockey so i will use that as an example, Sidney Crosby makes 7.5M a season and divided by 82 games (a season) comes out to 92K a game while fitch averaged 80K a fight which is not bad considering he did not headline many cards. Even tennis players which is a single person sport have many events a year. People forget mma fighters can only fight 3-5 times a year.

Yup, pretty much. Elite UFC fighter is FAR below elite pro athlete in terms of pay...always wil be unless the pay structure changes in this industry/promotion. Its not just about time, its the pay out structure..MMA could go years/decades and still be way behind unless the structure is changedy.

Elite pro athletes can make 10s of million in their 20s with no need to kiss ass and be "company man" to get more of that "locker room/discretion bonus" from promoter lol.

It has very little to do with pay structure and much more to do with the popularity of the sport. Comparing it with a major sport is laughable.

HES SO UNDERPAID THO!

Pretty damn good pay considering he can't finish a bowl of soup.

I thought he finished every bowel of soup except for 2 or 3, he just took a long time to eat.

While 180,000 / yr average seems good, it is pretty piss poor for a guy ranked number for so many years. I know he made more from endorsements but I do wish UFC would pay their fighters a bit more.

Back