Jon Fitch entire UFC payment revealed

But in NBA or whatever, if a player is injured, I think he is paid.
A MMA fighter, when he's injured, he can't fight so he's not paid.
This is completely different.
One is paid just when he plays, the other is paid each month no matter what

That's pretty garbage pay for a job you can't possibly do in the entire second half of your life. The UFC should be ashamed. It calls itself the top flight and wants us to think of it as a major sports org. Well pay your athletes like the real majors do! I'm sorry, but if a dude is in the top 10 of their weight class, they are a "star athlete", regardless of ability to promote or put on astonishing fights. Winning is winning. To paraphrase what someone else said earlier in the thread, isn't Dana supposed to be the promoter?

Exactly..with the avg. MMA career span as short as any pro sport (if not shorter) while getting fraction of the pay as most other pro sports....great deal...for the billionaire promoters.

MJ still is rolling in that Hanes sponsorship money. And tiger at his popularity peak had crazy amount of sponsorship. He was the highest pga earner but it was nothing compared to his sponsorships.
Jordan is a master at building his brand. Dude is known around the world, and could sell anything he touches because of that fame. Fitch? He's not even marketable in the tiny MMA community. The only reason he's even popular right now among fans is because the UFC got rid of him.

Oh, and that's not even sponsor pay, or any extras like making gym appearances and seminars.

Sherdog needs to quit obsessively bitching about what a fighter gets paid.

No shit! I don't understand why these crybabies are complaining about someone else's pay! It makes no sense whatsoever. They sound like a bunch of teenage girls.

That's about the amount he deserved.

It's not the UFC's fault if Fitch wasn't smart enough to capitalize on the exposure and make himself more marketable and exciting. Some will say it's a fighting sport, but that's not all there is to it, unfortunately. If Fitch tried, even for a second, to be more exciting (even at the cost of him losing a few more fights) and market himself more (even if it meant talking out of your ass like most fighters do) he would have been set for life.

yup...MMA is a one promotion dominanted industry with no union representation...so yeah, sucks compare to the protection, benefits and $$$ of other pro athletes.

They only get their guaranteed money. The team can still cut them, and not be on the hook for the rest of the contract. I mean, look at what the Packers did to Brett Favre. Or the Colts did to Peyton Manning. They are two of the best quarterbacks ever, and their teams pushed them out the door for their younger and cheaper replacements. Same thing also happened to Joe Montana with the 49ers. He won them four Super Bowls, and they still discarded him for his backup.

Last edited:
That's about the amount he deserved.

It's not the UFC's fault if Fitch wasn't smart enough to capitalize on the exposure and make himself more marketable and exciting. Some will say it's a fighting sport, but that's not all there is to it, unfortunately. If Fitch tried, even for a second, to be more exciting (even at the cost of him losing a few more fights) and market himself more (even if it meant talking out of your ass like most fighters do) he would have been set for life.

That shouldn't matter. Look at Rashad Evans's record, he has 5 KO's out of 16 UFC fights. It was the UFC that created the charisma, Evans just basked in it and took it from there.

Sure, he also put people asleep like me and others, but that shouldn't be a factor in determining the amount of money he gets.

What you do for your company shouldn't have any part in what determines your pay? What?

What you do for your company shouldn't have any part in what determines your pay? What?

LoL. I was thinking the same thing!

I agree. And if I was Dana I wouldn't go around talking about gambling away 1mil in one night just out of class.

I remember when that came out Mike Chiapetta called Dana out for saying Jon Fitch was really fucking expensive, and then bragging about blowing 1 million gambling in a night. Dana basically threw a temper tantrum and told him to fuck off without actually addressing it.

Meaning regardless of how piss poor his charisma is, how many drunken bar goers he angers, how many fans he sends to sleep, he shouldn't get the bottom end of the stick when it comes to pay.

They only get their guaranteed money. The team can still cut them, and not be on the hook for the rest of the contract. I mean, look at what the Packers did to Brett Favre. Or the Colts did to Peyton Manning. They are two of the best quarterbacks ever, and their teams pushed them out the door for their younger and cheaper replacements. Same thing also happened to Joe Montana with the 49ers. He won them four Super Bowls, and they still discarded him for his backup.

The NFL is the most cut throat of them all thought

Yeah, unless you are comparing him to other pro athletes. Get real. Top 20 golfers and tennis players make more than that, and he was definitely a top 20 p4p fighter for a few years.

MMA is as popular and lucrative as those sports? No. It's not. Stop.

Average salary of 185,000/yr for his 8 year stint.
how much of that ends up in his pocket, 30%?

Yeah. Look, I'm certantly not one of those who bother worrying to much about fighters pay, but doesn't seem that much/good, to me.
You might have to add:
-sponsors
-very well paid classes/private lessons
-notorious UFC's "locker room bonuses" (even though, since we are talking about Fitch we all doubt his ones were trough the roof).
But still...

Again, just saying...
Because one could easily argue that, considering what he brought to the table ( generally very little entertainment, and so on) he was lucky to bank even that.
But for sure I'm not impressed, having John been the n'2 ranked UFC ww for years.

Last edited:
He deserved more.
I remember people said the same thing about Sylvia and Arlovski. There was lots of whining about how the UFC mistreated them. How did that turn out again? With both guys begging to come back to the big bad UFC.

Imagine what guys like Matt Hughes made back in like 2002-2003. Guarantee it wasn't anywhere near 185K a year and he was top 5 P4P

Back