Jon Fitch entire UFC payment revealed

The issue that I have with the bold is that interest from fans is not always correlated with ranking. There will always be guys ranked below #2 that draw a lot of interest. I also think the #1 consideration that Zuffa looks at when offering pay is the potential earnings of the fighter outside of the organization. In a lot of cases, they can determine that a fighter won't be better off elsewhere and base their pay off of that.

I agree with you and those guys have incentive to create the buzz to make it worthwhile for the UFC to create matches they don't technically deserve. Look at BJ Penn. That guy was a very good fighter. His record proves he wasn't great in the ring but because of his image/draw the UFC gave him many compelling matchups and title shots he didn't earn.

I just think the guy fighting top 10 guys consistently and winning should eventually get paid what his competition is getting paid even if he isn't the primary draw himself.

We can't dictate how they pay but we can discuss the philosophy and approach. Personally I don't think it's to hard to create an algorithm for what a given card will draw and what percent each fight contributes to it. The winning fighter should get the lion share of that purse not the guy who has the better image or draw.

Fitch started his MMA career about a decade ago when getting rich in MMA was basically impossible, so he certainly knew what he was getting into. Fitch didn't get into MMA to become rich IMO, he did it to compete. Now had he won the belt from GSP the millions would have been there. But he lost that fight and his career has now winded down..

Back