Joe Rogan Experience #1080 - David Goggins

But nickelback isnt the biggest band in the world. No other podcast has the range and diversity of the JRE. From comedians, philosophers, scientists, athletes from all walks of life, military, authors, and political pundits, no other podcast/show brings to the table what the JRE does.
I've only started listening to JRE the last 2 months and I'm really enjoying it so far. I seek out the episodes with the guests I'm familiar with and there's been lots of good stuff. I don't get the hate either.

@vcmmafan I checked out this episode because of your thread and it was a good listen.

{<redford}

4k pullups in 24 hours.

I dont think anyone truly realizes how incredible that is. Doing a pullup for that guy must be as easy as it would be for me if I weighed 10lbs

Tremendous athlete. I bet he would be one HELL of a BJJ player if he got into that. Will watch this later.

I heard part of it, will play the full show soon.

I was in the military and the difference between those that succeed in achieving special forces and those that don't, has very little to do with physical capability and more to do with the sheer will to not quit.

Once you get past the initial fitness test...you can try to will yourself through that all you like, but if you don't have the training or natural gifts it just isn't going to happen.

Once you get past the initial fitness test...you can try to will yourself through that all you like, but if you don't have the training or natural gifts it just isn't going to happen.

What do you mean by "natural gifts" though?

Nothing they do requires extreme athleticism. As long as one stays injury free, and is mentally prepared to take the punishment, they should be successful.

What do you mean by "natural gifts" though?

Nothing they do requires extreme athleticism. As long as one stays injury free, and is mentally prepared to take the punishment, they should be successful.

The initial exam for his job in the Air Force was timed...you don't get to just tough it out. Some dude walking in off the streets and getting past the test with no training is pretty damn amazing. I know it's anecdotal, but the guys in my class that attempted it didn't even finish and they were training prior to basic.

Last edited:
I've only started listening to JRE the last 2 months and I'm really enjoying it so far. I seek out the episodes with the guests I'm familiar with and there's been lots of good stuff. I don't get the hate either.

@vcmmafan I checked out this episode because of your thread and it was a good listen.

{<redford}

I started off listening to just the episodes where I was familiar with the guest and in the 2 years since discovered a lot of new people who's work I enjoy because of the podcast. My favorite guests are bill burr, Neil degrasse Tyson, Jordan peterson, Graham Hancock, and Duncan trussell

The initial exam for his job in the Air Force was timed...you don't get to just tough it out. Some dude walking in off the streets and getting past the test with no training is pretty damn amazing. I know it's anecdotal, but the guys in my class that attempted it didn't even finish and they were training prior to basic.

It means he was in good physical condition. It doesn't take a genetically gifted person to be conditioned.

One of the most motivating/inspirational podcast episodes in a long time. What a fucking man. Especially when he's talking about being a fat loser. With a damn hole in his heart.

"David Goggins (born February 17, 1975) is a retired United States Navy SEAL and former United States Air Force Tactical Air Control Party member who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. He is an ultramarathon runner, ultra-distance cyclist, triathlete and world record holder for the most pull-ups done in 24 hours.

Goggins graduated from Basic Underwater Demolitions/SEAL (BUD/S) training with Class 235 in 2001 and was assigned to SEAL Team FIVE. Goggins completed with multiple deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq. In 2004, Goggins graduated from Army Ranger School with the distinction of enlisted "Top Honor Man." [6]

---Navy Seal David Goggins during demonstration of a beach reconnaissance---

Goggins is the only member in the U.S. Armed Forces to complete SEAL training, Ranger School and Air Force Tactical Air Controller training.[1]. Goggins retired from active duty as a Chief Petty Officer in 2016.

Goggins also served as the bodyguard for Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari.[1]

After several of his friends died in Afghanistan in a helicopter crash in 2005 during Operation Red Wings,[4] Goggins began long-distance running with the aim of raising money for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. The Foundation gives college scholarships and grants to the children of fallen special operations soldiers.[9]

It has been estimated that Goggins has raised over $2 million for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.[1]

Major races and accomplishments[edit]
2016 - JFK - 50 Miler - 7:30:36

2016 - Strolling Jim 40 - 4:54:15, 1OA

2016 - Zane Grey 50 Miler - 11:23:29

2013 - 24 Hour Pullup World Record - 4,025 pull-ups

2013 - Badwater Ultra Marathon 135 Miler, Death Valley, CA - 32:44:10

2009 - HURT Trail 100-Mile Endurance Run Honolulu - 25:28:00. 4th place of 43 finishers

2008 - McNaughton Park Trail Run 150 Mile - 33:36:20 Course record

2008 – Kona Ironman World Championship – 11:24:00.940th place overall of 1634 finishers

2008 – MiWok 100k Race – 9:55:19

2007 – The Bear 100 Miler, Logan, UT – 22:52:52

2007 - Leadville Trail 100 Miler, Leadville, CO - 22:15:36

2007 – Badwater Ultra Marathon 135 Miler, Death Valley, CA - 3rd Overall – 25:49:40

2007 - Zane Grey 50 Miler - 11:27:56. 17th place of 91 finishers

2006 – Ultraman World Championship; 2nd Overall – 24:41:23

2006 – Badwater Ultra Marathon – 30:18:54

2006 – San Diego One Day (24 Hours) 100 Miler – 21:21:00

I don't normally watch Joe Rogan but watched this one cause I've been familiar with Goggins for a while. Thanks for posting.

Goggins is Fucking-A.

Good peeps.

It means he was in good physical condition. It doesn't take a genetically gifted person to be conditioned.

Not good, incredible. As in top 1% of the military...with no training. He was naturally that well conditioned when he first joined the Air Force.

As many others I too was highly motivated after watching this podcast, I was inspired. However, we should keep in mind what Goggins said about that. I'm paraphrasing here, but essentially he said motivation doesn't mean shit unless you get off your ass and actually do something.

Otherwise, you're just talking and will continue to find yourself in your current situation.

We all (myself included) should keep that in mind and get after it.

Last edited:

2009 - HURT Trail 100-Mile Endurance Run Honolulu - 25:28:00. 4th place of 43 finishers

2008 – Kona Ironman World Championship – 11:24:00.940th place overall of 1634 finishers

2007 – Badwater Ultra Marathon 135 Miler, Death Valley, CA - 3rd Overall – 25:49:40

thanks for making me feel unaccomplished and lazy.

One of the most motivating/inspirational podcast episodes in a long time. What a fucking man. Especially when he's talking about being a fat loser. With a damn hole in his heart.

"David Goggins (born February 17, 1975) is a retired United States Navy SEAL and former United States Air Force Tactical Air Control Party member who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. He is an ultramarathon runner, ultra-distance cyclist, triathlete and world record holder for the most pull-ups done in 24 hours.

Goggins graduated from Basic Underwater Demolitions/SEAL (BUD/S) training with Class 235 in 2001 and was assigned to SEAL Team FIVE. Goggins completed with multiple deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq. In 2004, Goggins graduated from Army Ranger School with the distinction of enlisted "Top Honor Man." [6]

---Navy Seal David Goggins during demonstration of a beach reconnaissance---

Goggins is the only member in the U.S. Armed Forces to complete SEAL training, Ranger School and Air Force Tactical Air Controller training.[1]. Goggins retired from active duty as a Chief Petty Officer in 2016.

Goggins also served as the bodyguard for Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari.[1]

After several of his friends died in Afghanistan in a helicopter crash in 2005 during Operation Red Wings,[4] Goggins began long-distance running with the aim of raising money for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. The Foundation gives college scholarships and grants to the children of fallen special operations soldiers.[9]

It has been estimated that Goggins has raised over $2 million for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.[1]

Major races and accomplishments[edit]

im going to listen to this when I have time, Joe finally got him on the podcast? he has been talking about Goggins for years. should be a good listen

Not good, incredible. As in top 1% of the military...with no training. He was naturally that well conditioned when he first joined the Air Force.

That's not true at all. I worked with many people from snipers to spec ops and there wasn't anything particularly special about any of them, other than they were willing to subject themselves to more mental and physical punishment in order to get the job.

Is the Air Force initial fitness test hard at all anyways? When he was in AF bootcamp it was in the 90's. I can picture it been even more lax then.

Is the Air Force initial fitness test hard at all anyways? When he was in AF bootcamp it was in the 90's. I can picture it been even more lax then.

I was a Marine, so not entirely sure what the Air Force was up to. As far as I know, the standards haven't changed too much. I could be wrong though.

It's not the Air Force fitness test. The test he would have to pass would be specific to his AFSC. There might be 20 or 30 guys in a graduating class of 700 that even attempt it. Of those 20 or 30, the best PTers each flight has to offer, around 10 will make it through to the actual training. Of those 10, only 2 will make through to graduation.

The tests are grueling and can last hours. Does it involve mental toughness? Absolutely, but no regular dude is just walking in off the streets and making it through...unless they're like Goggins and a physical freak of nature.

The Air Force PT test was a joke back then and is still pretty easy.

That's not true at all. I worked with many people from snipers to spec ops and there wasn't anything particularly special about any of them, other than they were willing to subject themselves to more mental and physical punishment in order to get the job.

Marines are PT animals...not sure how deep into basic training the specialized units try to recruit Marines, but Goggins went from streets to passing one of the most difficult fitness tests the military has to offer after 3 weeks of AIR FORCE basic and PT...prior to the Air Force's PT overhaul. It probably involved a donut eating contest, 6 push ups and a quarter mile walk a day.

I’ve been listening to this in pieces. Really cool story. Dude certainly overcame a lot. I would contend that there’s more to life than mental toughness, pushing yourself, and breaking records. None of those are bad, but if that’s your life, it’s going to be an empty life.
Near the end, he says he’s done all of this so he’ll be proud of himself at the end of his life. The problem is, he’ll never know if he’s done enough. He’ll just have to never stop working, never stop achieving, never stop pushing then HOPE he’s done enough. That’s an empty way to live.
I am in awe of his ability to push through physical pain though.

Back