Joe Rogan Experience #1080 - David Goggins

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by vcmmafan, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Mariah Larry

Mariah Larry 2018 #7 Larriest

That's crazy.

But you're fine with the "Coggins" then?

D Train and Jackie Blue like this.
  2. trolololol

trolololol Guest

I've only started listening to JRE the last 2 months and I'm really enjoying it so far. I seek out the episodes with the guests I'm familiar with and there's been lots of good stuff. I don't get the hate either.

@vcmmafan I checked out this episode because of your thread and it was a good listen.

{<redford}

3. IloveTHIS

IloveTHIS Silver Belt

4k pullups in 24 hours.

I dont think anyone truly realizes how incredible that is. Doing a pullup for that guy must be as easy as it would be for me if I weighed 10lbs

Tremendous athlete. I bet he would be one HELL of a BJJ player if he got into that. Will watch this later.

Jackie Blue, Falconkick and A.S. Deep like this.
  4. genecop

genecop Black Belt

I heard part of it, will play the full show soon.

5. Sharon Peters

Sharon Peters Sassy Belt

Once you get past the initial fitness test...you can try to will yourself through that all you like, but if you don't have the training or natural gifts it just isn't going to happen.

6. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

What do you mean by "natural gifts" though?

Nothing they do requires extreme athleticism. As long as one stays injury free, and is mentally prepared to take the punishment, they should be successful.

Der Eisbär likes this.
  7. Sharon Peters

Sharon Peters Sassy Belt

The initial exam for his job in the Air Force was timed...you don't get to just tough it out. Some dude walking in off the streets and getting past the test with no training is pretty damn amazing. I know it's anecdotal, but the guys in my class that attempted it didn't even finish and they were training prior to basic.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Jackie Blue likes this.
  8. Der Eisbär

Der Eisbär Banned Banned

I started off listening to just the episodes where I was familiar with the guest and in the 2 years since discovered a lot of new people who's work I enjoy because of the podcast. My favorite guests are bill burr, Neil degrasse Tyson, Jordan peterson, Graham Hancock, and Duncan trussell

kissymeats and trolololol like this.
  9. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

It means he was in good physical condition. It doesn't take a genetically gifted person to be conditioned.

Sirwastealot and Der Eisbär like this.
  10. Chesten_Hesten

Chesten_Hesten The Wiener of Steel

I don't normally watch Joe Rogan but watched this one cause I've been familiar with Goggins for a while. Thanks for posting.

Goggins is Fucking-A.

Good peeps.

DragRacer likes this.
  11. Sharon Peters

Sharon Peters Sassy Belt

Not good, incredible. As in top 1% of the military...with no training. He was naturally that well conditioned when he first joined the Air Force.

Jackie Blue likes this.
  12. kissymeats

kissymeats — Team Kissy Meats —

As many others I too was highly motivated after watching this podcast, I was inspired. However, we should keep in mind what Goggins said about that. I'm paraphrasing here, but essentially he said motivation doesn't mean shit unless you get off your ass and actually do something.

Otherwise, you're just talking and will continue to find yourself in your current situation.

We all (myself included) should keep that in mind and get after it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Jackie Blue and TidWell like this.
  13. bad seed

bad seed Gold Belt

thanks for making me feel unaccomplished and lazy.

vcmmafan likes this.
  14. TidWell

TidWell Red Belt

im going to listen to this when I have time, Joe finally got him on the podcast? he has been talking about Goggins for years. should be a good listen

kissymeats and vcmmafan like this.
  15. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

That's not true at all. I worked with many people from snipers to spec ops and there wasn't anything particularly special about any of them, other than they were willing to subject themselves to more mental and physical punishment in order to get the job.

biscuitsbrah and kissymeats like this.
  16. vcmmafan

vcmmafan Dark Knight Returns

Is the Air Force initial fitness test hard at all anyways? When he was in AF bootcamp it was in the 90's. I can picture it been even more lax then.

17. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I was a Marine, so not entirely sure what the Air Force was up to. As far as I know, the standards haven't changed too much. I could be wrong though.

vcmmafan likes this.
  18. Sharon Peters

Sharon Peters Sassy Belt

It's not the Air Force fitness test. The test he would have to pass would be specific to his AFSC. There might be 20 or 30 guys in a graduating class of 700 that even attempt it. Of those 20 or 30, the best PTers each flight has to offer, around 10 will make it through to the actual training. Of those 10, only 2 will make through to graduation.

The tests are grueling and can last hours. Does it involve mental toughness? Absolutely, but no regular dude is just walking in off the streets and making it through...unless they're like Goggins and a physical freak of nature.

The Air Force PT test was a joke back then and is still pretty easy.

youngsteinel likes this.
  19. Sharon Peters

Sharon Peters Sassy Belt

Marines are PT animals...not sure how deep into basic training the specialized units try to recruit Marines, but Goggins went from streets to passing one of the most difficult fitness tests the military has to offer after 3 weeks of AIR FORCE basic and PT...prior to the Air Force's PT overhaul. It probably involved a donut eating contest, 6 push ups and a quarter mile walk a day.

MMouse likes this.
  20. D Train

D Train Silver Belt

I’ve been listening to this in pieces. Really cool story. Dude certainly overcame a lot. I would contend that there’s more to life than mental toughness, pushing yourself, and breaking records. None of those are bad, but if that’s your life, it’s going to be an empty life.
    Near the end, he says he’s done all of this so he’ll be proud of himself at the end of his life. The problem is, he’ll never know if he’s done enough. He’ll just have to never stop working, never stop achieving, never stop pushing then HOPE he’s done enough. That’s an empty way to live.
    I am in awe of his ability to push through physical pain though.