Joe Rogan Experience #1080 - David Goggins

vcmmafan

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

One of the most motivating/inspirational podcast episodes in a long time. What a fucking man. Especially when he's talking about being a fat loser. With a damn hole in his heart.

"David Goggins (born February 17, 1975) is a retired United States Navy SEAL and former United States Air Force Tactical Air Control Party member who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. He is an ultramarathon runner, ultra-distance cyclist, triathlete and world record holder for the most pull-ups done in 24 hours.

Goggins graduated from Basic Underwater Demolitions/SEAL (BUD/S) training with Class 235 in 2001 and was assigned to SEAL Team FIVE. Goggins completed with multiple deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq. In 2004, Goggins graduated from Army Ranger School with the distinction of enlisted "Top Honor Man." [6]

---Navy Seal David Goggins during demonstration of a beach reconnaissance---

Goggins is the only member in the U.S. Armed Forces to complete SEAL training, Ranger School and Air Force Tactical Air Controller training.[1]. Goggins retired from active duty as a Chief Petty Officer in 2016.

Goggins also served as the bodyguard for Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari.[1]

After several of his friends died in Afghanistan in a helicopter crash in 2005 during Operation Red Wings,[4] Goggins began long-distance running with the aim of raising money for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. The Foundation gives college scholarships and grants to the children of fallen special operations soldiers.[9]

It has been estimated that Goggins has raised over $2 million for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.[1]

Major races and accomplishments[edit]
2016 - JFK - 50 Miler - 7:30:36

2016 - Strolling Jim 40 - 4:54:15, 1OA

2016 - Zane Grey 50 Miler - 11:23:29

2013 - 24 Hour Pullup World Record - 4,025 pull-ups

2013 - Badwater Ultra Marathon 135 Miler, Death Valley, CA - 32:44:10

2009 - HURT Trail 100-Mile Endurance Run Honolulu - 25:28:00. 4th place of 43 finishers

2008 - McNaughton Park Trail Run 150 Mile - 33:36:20 Course record

2008 – Kona Ironman World Championship – 11:24:00.940th place overall of 1634 finishers

2008 – MiWok 100k Race – 9:55:19

2007 – The Bear 100 Miler, Logan, UT – 22:52:52

2007 - Leadville Trail 100 Miler, Leadville, CO - 22:15:36

2007 – Badwater Ultra Marathon 135 Miler, Death Valley, CA - 3rd Overall – 25:49:40

2007 - Zane Grey 50 Miler - 11:27:56. 17th place of 91 finishers

2006 – Ultraman World Championship; 2nd Overall – 24:41:23

2006 – Badwater Ultra Marathon – 30:18:54

2006 – San Diego One Day (24 Hours) 100 Miler – 21:21:00

Last edited:
damn no one else saw this?
I watched it. Dude is super motivational and brings up a lot of good points as to what it takes to push past boundaries and improve yourself. His intensity is a little much and you've gotta wonder if the dude ever just relaxes and just takes it all in and enjoys life. Its always go go go push push push war with himself.

Yeah, i listened to it earlier today, it really was very inspiring. Am amazed at the guy's willpower.

I’ma tell ya something, joe rogan. I smoke rocks.

I know Goggins' whole point was that anyone could do what he does but it must be reiterated.... that man is a special breed of human being.

heard it, great story man, as someone said in the YouTube comments, this is the guy who Dan Bilzerian pretends to be, i loved his attitude, his achievements are impressive, Navy Seal and Ranger and a bunch of other stuff, very inspiring, i hope he goes to the Jocko Podcast

*Walton

I thought he was on the JRE at first and was disappointed it was this guy.

Listened to it yesterday and it was a 10/10 interview.

I check out every JRE episode but rarely listen to the same one more than once. That podcast is gonna be worth listening to multiple times over.

Definitely an inspiring guy, but his arrogance is off putting.

disagree. you didn't hear a damn word the man said.

John-Travolta-Vincent-Vega-Pulp-Fiction-Tiempos-Violentos-gif%2Btransparente.gif

Care to elaborate?

This guy was intense. I really liked the interview. But man oh man did He have some racial animosity. Underlying but noticeable. Like talking about being a black guy on the seal teams and whatnot. Or distance running. His mom is white and he seems to hate his black dad, and he talked about using sickle cell as an excuse. He identifies as black maybe bc of the shitty lot he had in life, but I think I sense some self loathing in that interview. Maybe why he seems to be continuously pissed. I dunno, just a thought.

John-Travolta-Vincent-Vega-Pulp-Fiction-Tiempos-Violentos-gif%2Btransparente.gif

Care to elaborate?
He's not special. He didn't have any genetic gifts. He was massively overweight. 300 pounds. Couldn't run a quarter mile. The only thing he had was his mindset which is something you have 100% control over and the ability to change. Writing it off as "he's something special " or "different" defeats everything he had to say. By drawing that conclusion you're limiting your own self by drawing a distinction that he somehow has something that you don't and because of that you couldn't do what he did.

Back