Joe Rogan Experience #1080 - David Goggins

He's not special. He didn't have any genetic gifts. He was massively overweight. 300 pounds. Couldn't run a quarter mile. The only thing he had was his mindset which is something you have 100% control over and the ability to change. Writing it off as "he's something special " or "different" defeats everything he had to say. By drawing that conclusion you're limiting your own self by drawing a distinction that he somehow has something that you don't and because of that you couldn't do what he did.

Lol I literally echoed his point in my post. And yes he is a special breed of person regardless if he thinks he isn't. His accomplishments confirm that. That's not me writing him off its me acknowledging that this man is driven like no other and that's what separates him from most ppl.

Exceptional willpower and drive to the point of achieving these insanely difficult feats makes him different because the overwhelming majority of ppl are not like that. And no, not everyone can just do what he's done, though I do agree that most ppl are unaware of their true human potential.

i listened yesterday. great podcast. he has a ton of content on yt and instagram as well

One of the rare episodes where Joe stfu. Very motivational.

Guy is a legit badass.

You can tell he has a psychopathic side to him.

Very inspiring though.

It was a great podcast, the guy journeys through life at 100mph.

Yea pretty inspiring got a bit repetitive towards the end and I turned it off before the last 20 mins or so and moved on to the Weistein podcast.

This guy was intense. I really liked the interview. But man oh man did He have some racial animosity. Underlying but noticeable. Like talking about being a black guy on the seal teams and whatnot. Or distance running. His mom is white and he seems to hate his black dad, and he talked about using sickle cell as an excuse. He identifies as black maybe bc of the shitty lot he had in life, but I think I sense some self loathing in that interview. Maybe why he seems to be continuously pissed. I dunno, just a thought.

Sounds more like you’re just projecting your own fantasy onto his words. Everything he said was very matter of fact. There was no animosity there at all.

He's not special. He didn't have any genetic gifts. He was massively overweight. 300 pounds. Couldn't run a quarter mile. The only thing he had was his mindset which is something you have 100% control over and the ability to change. Writing it off as "he's something special " or "different" defeats everything he had to say. By drawing that conclusion you're limiting your own self by drawing a distinction that he somehow has something that you don't and because of that you couldn't do what he did.

He can make that claim as many times as he likes, and you're more than welcome to take the bait, but before he was a SEAL and before he was 300lbs, he was already a member of one of the toughest special forces units in the military. The guy has genetic gifts and to deny that is just being dishonest.

He can make that claim as many times as he likes, and you're more than welcome to take the bait, but before he was a SEAL and before he was 300lbs, he was already a member of one of the toughest special forces units in the military. The guy has genetic gifts and to deny that is just being dishonest.
He had to take the exams 3x because he failed 2x. He studied his ass off before he could apply. That speaks more about his character more than anything.

I was cringing so hard when he was talking about the first time he ran that 100 mile race and how he shit all over himself and was pissing blood and dirt.
<{danawhoah}>

So self-limiting mental state it is for you then.

Nothing he did came easy to him. He failed often. It's not like he just walked onto the seals. It's not like he just walked into the military. He had to work his ass off and utilize his mind to push himself past his limits and breaking points. Anyone is capable of doing what he has done but virtually no one is willing to get their mental state in order and pursue that amount of hard work.

I like how he quit on himself multiple times. That's a ton more realistic then people who have some magical no turning back moment and turn into who they want to be overnight

So self-limiting mental state it is for you then.

Nothing he did came easy to him. He failed often. It's not like he just walked onto the seals. It's not like he just walked into the military. He had to work his ass off and utilize his mind to push himself past his limits and breaking points. Anyone is capable of doing what he has done but virtually no one is willing to get their mental state in order and pursue that amount of hard work.

Just no...he was TACP just to avoid swimming with no real training. They have a similar wash out rate to the SEALS. Does it require mental toughness? Absolutely, but, you also have to be a freak stamina wise.

He had to take the exams 3x because he failed 2x. He studied his ass off before he could apply. That speaks more about his character more than anything.

Guess how many times someone without the natural physical abilities gets to go through BUDS. Zero, because they couldn't even get past the entrance physical test. 80% washout rate once you get to the training. That doesn't include the hundreds who "try out" and can't pass the fitness test.

Guess how many times someone without the natural physical abilities gets to go through BUDS. Zero, because they couldn't even get past the entrance physical test. 80% washout rate once you get to the training. That doesn't include the hundreds who "try out" and can't pass the fitness test.
I get that but my simple, amateur psychologist take is that he has nothing to fall back on. Literally do or die. Some got their egos crushed and took the easy way out. It's an easy choice to make when facing an adversity they really didn't have to tackle to survive.

Just no...he was TACP just to avoid swimming with no real training. They have a similar wash out rate to the SEALS. Does it require mental toughness? Absolutely, but, you also have to be a freak stamina wise.
Please provide me some evidence supporting your idea of being a "freak stamina wise". He wasn't born with stamina. No one is. You have to earn it through hard work. That's what you're missing here.

This guy was intense. I really liked the interview. But man oh man did He have some racial animosity. Underlying but noticeable. Like talking about being a black guy on the seal teams and whatnot. Or distance running. His mom is white and he seems to hate his black dad, and he talked about using sickle cell as an excuse. He identifies as black maybe bc of the shitty lot he had in life, but I think I sense some self loathing in that interview. Maybe why he seems to be continuously pissed. I dunno, just a thought.

Well in my take there nothing of racial animosity as you put it in Goggins when he tells his story, he is intense because he has become what he is due to pure power of the will, when he talks about race and stuff he is just calling it like it is in the context of his story, he doesnt blame anyone for what happens to him, he takes charge of his own life and takes all challenges head on, and its not self loathing imo he then is just having self critism about himself, which is rare in a society that has narcisistic and entitled people all over the place, that is what makes him a great man and continue to do so

Back