Jack Slack article on Anderson Silva leg break

Great article and I particularly liked this part. I completely agree.

"The truth is that Silva hurt himself throwing powerful low kicks without set up, against someone whom he didn't expect to check. Do not interpret that as a justification to the ridiculous "Silva beat himself" narrative running through this rivalry, though. He is hard to dispute as the most accomplished striking based fighter in MMA, yet he was finished by expecting such a low standard of ability in his opponent."

:icon_lol: At jones being a great low kicker. The only reason he gets away with that garbage is because of how much longer his legs are than his opponents. When he tried that crap vs Gustafsson he ate counters to the dome all night.

The kicking defense of his opponents has nothing to do with Jones length though. It

Are you mad I pointed out something you can't refute, so you start insulting me?

Thanks for the confirmation.

LOL at you. You said you read the article and came away with the exact opinion he's refuting. No one else needs to refute it. You can just continual to live in denial.

Last edited:
You have been here since 2008, I am not sure if this is a troll post and sarcasm.
This is literally the equivalent of a guy slipping a punch and then coming to sherdog and talking about the "evolution of the sport" and how everyone is going to train to not get punched in the face now.

So much bitterness here lately...

Checking kicks is not going to go unnoticed and it takes an event like the mighty Anderson Silva shattering his leg from a checked kicked which will cause everyone who trains MMA to really take notice of check kicks. It's always been there same as the front-kick but you rarely saw front-kicks until Anderson KO'd Vitor and I've seen so many attempts since. Checking kicks was always done but probably not studied as closely as before and I'm assuming those who train will study checking kicks to perfect such a basic thing.

I've been watching MMA closely since 2005 and I've observed this sport evolve over the years. To name one, CroCop was once an invincible force until his style was studied and I believe CroCop became too aware of his openings for a counter and stopped throwing the left-high kick because everyone's looking for it and they knew what to do when he released it... nobody knew how to defend against CroCop back in the day but once he was solved he became one dimensional, but back then he was a puzzle few could solve.

Think of MMA evolving, like steering a ship. I'm not saying checked kicks is turning the ship around, it's altering its course slightly. The point is that certain events cause this to happen otherwise the sport just stays the course. Checking kicks was an afterthought and regardless of anyone's experience with checked kicks it's the #1 technique being studied all over the world right now. It can't be ignored. You can't train MMA and not go the gym the next day and not study what happened from both perspectives of Anderson and Weidman. I wouldn't, even as kickboxing expert I couldn't possibly ignore what happened and not re-enact the moment and study it. Checking kicks is at the forefront of everyone and Aldo and Jones to name two just had a serious reality check as it could have been them snapping their tibia.

Here's another, the arm-bar in mens MMA and the rear naked choke happened all the time. I don't see them so much anymore. People train to defend these subs but back in the day they happened all the time, way more than now. Guys didn't know what to do. The sport saw many wins this way, people noticed, trained to defend it and now they're not so common. That learning curve took a long time but the pattern was there to win followed by how not to lose..........

Anyways, get mad if it makes you feel better. I'm going to watch MMA for the next 6-months looking for checked kicks and low-kicks to see if sport alters, especially with the Aldo and Jones fights where they both will think twice about it, or not with full power or if they'll go up instead of low. It's fun to watch this type of thing, for me anyways as I like to break things down...

/rant... I don't care if you don't read it.

I like Chris and am happy to see him be the champion, but claiming he broke his shin on purpose is literally the dumbest thing I have ever read here,

Got some quotes where people said he broke his shin on purpose? I personally haven't seen a one. I've seen lots of people using Weidman's own words to say he trained to check kicks and make them hurt so Silva would pay for them. On the other hand, I have seen a lot of people rebut that with straw man arguments. They try to refute it by claiming people said he was doing it to break the leg on purpose.

The leg break was an extreme result of Weidman's drilling checks. It happens sometimes.

Proves the opposite?

Man,.. I am pretty sure it's everyone's strategy to block a kick that is coming at you.

This is exactly what you don't get. Jack talks about it in the article, man. Checking kicks is very under-utilized in MMA. I can name some pretty high profile fights just off the top of my head where someone was getting the shit kicked out of him and didn't look to check them at all. Lawler vs Manhoef. Faber vs Aldo, Diaz vs Condit.
Weidman didn't check a single kick in the first fight with Silva.

Suddenly Weidman trains to do exactly that while Anderson throws his usual kicks recklessly with no set up and it's "an accident"?

Connor McGregor on twitter: Fighting opposite stance opponents and throwing that rear leg kick is always a risky shot. The knee is always in play. Horrible to see.

Weidman:

Got some quotes where people said he broke his shin on purpose? I personally haven't seen a one. I've seen lots of people using Weidman's own words to say he trained to check kicks and make them hurt so Silva would pay for them. On the other hand, I have seen a lot of people rebut that with straw man arguments. They try to refute it by claiming people said he was doing it to break the leg on purpose.

The leg break was an extreme result of Weidman's drilling checks. It happens sometimes.

this...he just got the best possible outcome of the checked kick (broken leg). i mean, thats the whole point of checking a kick...avoiding damage to your own leg and damaging the kicker's leg so he thinks twice about throwing kicks.

but the guys coming out and saying that Ray Longo came up with some shit no one has ever seen before is ridiculous.

dat Knee Destruction technique...

People are, in fact, "insinuating" it.
Not many have the balls to come out and just say it, but when someone says that the break was a freak accident, people chime right in and say "No it wasn't, he was TRAINING to hurt Silva with those leg checks!" and "Didn't you see the post fight interview where he said himself that he was training to hurt Silva with those leg checks and Ray Longo had broken a guys shin with one before!?!?!?!".

So yes,.. people are making that claim.

No people are not insinuating that, you are reading into it.

Yes, Weidman trained to check Andersons kicks, to hurt him and not to get hurt himself. That's common sense right? He put his knee infront of the kick with the purpose of hurting his opponent. The kick was designed to do the same, Anderson wanted to hurt him. Weidman just did better in that exchange.

Weidman didn't think "I'm going there to break his leg", his intention was to neutralize Anderson's weapons and win the fight. Did Weidman know he can injure Silva in the process? Of course. Every fighter knows that when they get into training or fight.

Anderson threw his kicks with reckless abandon, probably because he had been fighting inferior fighters before who could not check his leg kicks. He paid a price this time, not because of accident but because a superior opponent made him pay. If he had not broken his leg, he would have still had almost no use of that leg after that kick. Have your doubts about that? Go kick something harder, full power with your shin bone.

Proves the opposite?

Man,.. I am pretty sure it's everyone's strategy to block a kick that is coming at you.

The gifs show that is all he was doing. He was just checking them the best he could in order to block the damn kicks and set up a counter.

The breaking of the leg was a FREAK OCCURRENCE.

i agree with you in most of this thread but not there...lots of MMA guys "checked" kicks with their thigh muscles.

evidently until Saturday, checking kicks was a mystical art form that only the Thais and native Long Islanders knew...now the whole world is on alert.

Yes, Weidman trained to check Andersons kicks, to hurt him and not to get hurt himself. That's common sense right? He put his knee infront of the kick with the purpose of hurting his opponent. The kick was designed to do the same, Anderson wanted to hurt him. Weidman just did better in that exchange.

Weidman didn't think "I'm going there to break his leg", his intention was to neutralize Anderson's weapons and win the fight. Did Weidman know he can injure Silva in the process? Of course. Every fighter knows that when they get into training or fight.

Anderson threw his kicks with reckless abandon, probably because he had been fighting inferior fighters before who could not check his leg kicks. He paid a price this time, not because of accident but because a superior opponent made him pay. If he had not broken his leg, he would have still had almost no use of that leg after that kick. Have your doubts about that? Go kick something harder, full power with your shin bone.

lolwut? there ARE people insinuating that...maybe just not in this thread. go read the other threads about "Knee Destruction" etc and see for yourself. people are going as far as ASKING FOR CHECKS WITH THE KNEE TO BE BANNED! saying it was a dirty move, etc...lol

think about how stupid that sounds for a second...

i agree with you in most of this thread but not there...lots of MMA guys "checked" kicks with their thigh muscles.

evidently until Saturday, checking kicks was a mystical art form that only the Thais and native Long Islanders knew...now the whole world is on alert.

ok ok ok,.. I will clarify.

Every fighter that KNOWS how to check a leg kick, is going to try and check a kick that they see coming.

Is that better?
(Because honestly,.. you were right, lol.)

there ARE people insinuating that...maybe just not in this thread. go read the other threads about "Knee Destruction" etc and see for yourself. people are going as far as ASKING FOR CHECKS WITH THE KNEE TO BE BANNED! saying it was a dirty move, etc...lol

think about how stupid that sounds for a second...

Yes it sounds very stupid.

Longo might call it "destruction" and someone else calls it with a different name but the technique is in no way new. And it's completely legit. Injuries are always a major concern when two people try to hurt eachother.

I promise you that I am not misreading into anything.
I explained it in my original post and I don't need to explain it any further. People are making the claim and it is absurd.

And I kick all of the time,.. it is part of my job.

I can't wait for the Slackster's multi-page follow up article -

It's all about how, when a fighter breaks his hand throwing a punch, it's ultimately because his opponent used subtle head movement to "check" the punch with a hard part of the skull. :rolleyes:

I can't wait for the Slackster's multi-page follow up article -

It's all about how, when a fighter breaks his hand throwing a punch, it's ultimately because his opponent used subtle head movement to "check" the punch with a hard part of the skull. :rolleyes:

Idea noted and stolen. ;)

That fact that he shows BOTH gifs of Chris checking the kicks, proves that the end result of the fight was, in fact a "fluke".

The point where the legs meet is random and you can't really plan for it.
You are hardly even thinking about it. You are just trying to check properly and counter.

Chris got lucky and the legs met in his favor.

Did he intend to break Silva's leg? NO.

His intention was to block the kick, take as little damage as possible and counter. You can even see his "oh shit" face when the kick is launched.

Is the win legitimate?
ABSOLUTELY.

This should put fighters on notice about low kicks and proper checking technique.

You didn't even bother to read the article by someone much more informed than you, did you?

Back