Jack Slack article on Anderson Silva leg break

Good stuff. He's right about those checked kicks becoming popular now. They're all going train for this and we'll all notice them now. Chris Weidman has effectively changed the fight game for the next year, or at least altered it and changed it's course. Just as Anderson Silva started the front-kick thing, Chris has started a checked kick trend and we have yet notice it but it will be there and everyone is training to check kicks now guaranteed.

This sport is so interesting in it's evolution that there's always a hidden weakness somewhere until someone finds it effective, and how checked kicks or delivering a perfect front-kick opens new doors and closes others while fighting or defending... Guys like Jon Jones and Jose Aldo will most certainly change their style and those who fighting these two will have practices checking kicks so sure. It's going to be very interesting.

Np dude, people are getting heated with the topic, sometimes misunderstandings can squeeze in. I have just had enough of reading this, usually I won't bother arguing with the trolls and keyboard warriors but listening to this over and over everytime I come to Sherdog has made me want to break my own fucking leg.

Legit lol, don't worry this'll all blow over soon and it'll all be about how Anderson was never any good before you know it

Checking a kick is no different then putting someone in an arm bar and trying to break their arm. The purpose of a check kick is for a break or severe pain. It's MMA....no one has good intentions.

Sigh.....

The main reason of a check is to intercept a low kick so you don't have your sciatic nerve or inner knee utterly destroyed when you have 5 rounds to fight.

Inflicting pain by "hard" checking is a low kick deterrent, not a bone snapping fight ending technique.

Np dude, people are getting heated with the topic, sometimes misunderstandings can squeeze in. I have just had enough of reading this, usually I won't bother arguing with the trolls and keyboard warriors but listening to this over and over everytime I come to Sherdog has made me want to break my own fucking leg.

Are you like me, and worried that some random person that doesn't know much about the sport, will come in here and believe this shit as gospel?

That's why I respond to it and try to correct it.

I rarely post on sherdog, but this too just rubbed me the wrong way, i like Weidman and wish him all the best, but making him the low kick checking messiah is just ridiculous on so many levels that it actually annoyed me... :) At least you get to see who actually knows something about the sport in threads like this...

There was intent to check the leg kick and damage Silva so he wouldn't try it again. The break was just fortunate for Weidman's side. It was still a clean finish. Despite the Matrix stuff and his aura, Silva is very much human when over committing a kick to someone defending.

Sigh.....

The main reason of a check is to intercept a low kick so you don't have your sciatic nerve or inner knee utterly destroyed when you have 5 rounds to fight.

Inflicting pain by "hard" checking is a low kick deterrent, not a bone snapping fight ending technique.

geeez...

No, freak injury implies it was simply misfortune. There was nothing accidental about Silva getting hurt. When a hard kicker kicks a knee, he hurts himself. Sometimes it's enough to finish a fight, sometimes it's just enough to stop him from kicking for a while, but kick a knee Silva did.

no one is saying that it was attempt to 'break his shin' they're saying it was:

- very hard kick

- very well checked kick

As a result, damage to the shin ended up being extremely gruesome.

Sigh.....

Agreed..Should have worded this a little better. One of the outcomes of checking kicks can be breaks. I'm sure fighters are aware of this.

Good stuff. He's right about those checked kicks becoming popular now. They're all going train for this and we'll all notice them now. Chris Weidman has effectively changed the fight game for the next year, or at least altered it and changed it's course. Just as Anderson Silva started the front-kick thing, Chris has started a checked kick trend and we have yet notice it but it will be there and everyone is training to check kicks now guaranteed.

This sport is so interesting in it's evolution that there's always a hidden weakness somewhere until someone finds it effective, and how checked kicks or delivering a perfect front-kick opens new doors and closes others while fighting or defending... Guys like Jon Jones and Jose Aldo will most certainly change their style and those who fighting these two will have practices checking kicks so sure. It's going to be very interesting.

You have been here since 2008, I am not sure if this is a troll post and sarcasm.
This is literally the equivalent of a guy slipping a punch and then coming to sherdog and talking about the "evolution of the sport" and how everyone is going to train to not get punched in the face now.

Are you like me, and worried that some random person that doesn't know much about the sport, will come in here and believe this shit as gospel?

That's why I respond to it and try to correct it.

Yes because I will hear it being spouted off as gospel at every bar I go to from now on to watch an MMA event. A guy will check a kick and one meathead will lean over to his "bro" or girlfriend and be like "Okay, see what he did there was a devastating leg break technique called the kick check, it is used to break shin bones in half".
"Omg you are so knowledgeable bro, I bet you can kick anyone's ass in the entire world".

Lol fuck my life.

You have been here since 2008, I am not sure if this is a troll post and sarcasm.
This is literally the equivalent of a guy slipping a punch and then coming to sherdog and talking about the "evolution of the sport" and how everyone is going to train to not get punched in the face now.

Yes because I will hear it being spouted off as gospel at every bar I go to from now on to watch an MMA event. A guy will check a kick and one meathead will lean over to his "bro" or girlfriend and be like "Okay, see what he did there was a devastating leg break technique called the kick check, it is used to break shin bones in half".
"Omg you are so knowledgeable bro, I bet you can kick anyone's ass in the entire world".

Lol fuck my life.

I think you are reading way to much into that article. No one with common sense thinks that and neither does the author.

A knee check can damage the kickers chin. That

Another thing is posters like you, I have had ever post of mine quoted and me being called an idiot (Even though I have been fighting for nearly 10 years in MT and Kickboxing) by keyboard warriors.

Blocking kicks is not a game plan, when you're fighting a guy with devastating kicks you are going to make sure you block them that is common sense.

Does strong/hard blocking exist? YES, instead of just intercepting with your leg you can lean into it to make them "pay" or think twice about kicking you (I have done this in fights), but you do not PLAN for a shin break. If you could plan for a fucking shin break don't you think we would see fighters in Muay Thai winning every fight with this mythical shin breaking technique?

Chris was smart to recognize Anderson can throw hard low kicks so he made a mental note to be wary of them and check them like any smart fighter would. He wants to make them hurt Anderson so he wouldn't throw them as much since they are devastating, again like any smart fighter should be doing. However, planning to break his shin in half is NOT what happened, sure you can have the mentality "I'm gonna check him so hard like i'm gonna break his leg" but that isn't what you're actually doing, you're just making them hurt for kicking you. Breaking your shin in half rarely ever happens and if it was an actual technique it would happen in kickboxing and muay thai fights on a daily basis.

Long Island Knee Destruction technique, bruh

but seriously...it's so fucking stupid that a legend like Anderson has to get his leg broken for the MMA community to start checking kicks and to realize you can't just throw kicks out there like that with no disguise or setup.

all hail the mystical knee check!

Tell me about it.

I can honestly say that I have never been more bothered and disgusted by posting on Sherdog. I like Weidman, I think he is a great guy and champion so it's not like I want him to lose or hate him.. but all this discussion about a shin break being on purpose has gone to show me how truly uneducated this forum is and proves that literally maybe 5% of this forum has even stepped foot into a striking gym. Checking with a knee hurts your opponent sometimes ya, it happens by accident in training all the time. You go to check a kick but don't get your leg up fast enough, guess what? It hits your knee sometimes that is just reality. "Checking kicks" is not a game plan, it is HOW YOU BLOCK A KICK. A professional fighter shouldn't have to gameplan blocking a strike, that is like saying "My game plan is to block getting punched in the face", no it is not a game plan it is an expectation of any fighter.

I like Chris and am happy to see him be the champion, but claiming he broke his shin on purpose is literally the dumbest thing I have ever read here, let alone from someone who writes articles like Jack Slack who I usually respect. There is such a thing as hard blocking where you purposely try to hit their shin when you check my leaning hard into it to make them pay for their kick, I have done that in fights to guys who like to Low kick a lot, but you aren't do it with the intention of breaking their shin in half, that is just a crock of shit, you can't plan for that.

Jesus Christ people.

Nobody is saying anywhere he meant to break his shin, just that he meant to punish him for throwing predictably and carelessly. The break is just something that rarely but sometimes occurs as a result.

Weidman has talked a lot about the technique and I'm guessing he knows a lot more than you and your gyms do on the subject seeing as he's the MW champ of the world and you're an amateur.

Very emotional response.

Knowing how hard Anderson throws that whipping leg kick it seems likely that Weidman's camp worked on checking that kick with evil intentions. With the way Weidman celebrated could be an inclination that this was his game plan. This is purely speculation but interesting to consider. :icon_idea

As I have said about 3 times already in this thread, I 100% agree with you and know from first hand experience. I am referring to Sherdog posters who are saying this, and yes they are actually saying this in multiple threads.

You should not get angry about dumbness on this forum. It

Great article. Thank you TS.

In the crocop fight, you can tell fedor really drilled his checking (I believe he trained with hoost) beforehand. Greatly changed how crocop could utilize his weapons in that fight.

there's a similar article breaking down chris weidman's perfect ko of munoz. most ppl think these things just happen, but weidman has really high fight iq. unfortunately, even with huge articles explaining the intricacies of his strategies/counters, 99% of fans won't ever take the effort to give more credit to weidman.

people are ridiculous. if i 1shot my friend in a video game with a perfectly timed block, i would get more credit from my friends than weidman doing it in real life to the greatest ufc legend of all time. everyone at work thinks weidman won TWO flukes lmao.

Maybe weidman should just stop fighting and start playing at the lottery since he is so lucky lol
Weidman is incredible because while his striking experience is obviously limited he probably focus on a few specific techniques that will be useful against a given opponent and implement them masterfully.

Nobody is saying anywhere he meant to break his shin, just that he meant to punish him for throwing predictably and carelessly. The break is just something that rarely but sometimes occurs as a result.

no one is saying that? you haven't read enough threads.

Knowing how hard Anderson throws that whipping leg kick it seems likely that Weidman's camp worked on checking that kick with evil intentions. With the way Weidman celebrated could be an inclination that this was his game plan. This is purely speculation but interesting to consider. :icon_idea

lol at "evil intentions"...every check is done with "evil intentions"...to cause pain to the kicker so he thinks twice about kicking. Chris just scored with the best possible outcome.

:icon_lol: At jones being a great low kicker. The only reason he gets away with that garbage is because of how much longer his legs are than his opponents. When he tried that crap vs Gustafsson he ate counters to the dome all night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back