Jack Slack article on Anderson Silva leg break

I think you misunderstood the piece if you think that he's saying Weidman broke the shin on purpose. What he said was that Weidman purposefully used the correct technique, and a rare byproduct of doing that correctly can be a shin break to your opponent. I don't think anyone's suggesting that he did it with the intent of doing so.

It's like if you slam someone, you're not doing it to try and ko them.. but if you do it well, on rare occasion you can. No one says Rampage was lucky for ko'ing Arona, or Tito over Tanner etc..

Actually a lot of people are saying that.

On top of that, I know plenty of people that try to KO you with a slam. That's kind of the intent.

Another thing is posters like you, I have had ever post of mine quoted and me being called an idiot (Even though I have been fighting for nearly 10 years in MT and Kickboxing) by keyboard warriors.

Blocking kicks is not a game plan, when you're fighting a guy with devastating kicks you are going to make sure you block them that is common sense.

Does strong/hard blocking exist? YES, instead of just intercepting with your leg you can lean into it to make them "pay" or think twice about kicking you (I have done this in fights), but you do not PLAN for a shin break. If you could plan for a fucking shin break don't you think we would see fighters in Muay Thai winning every fight with this mythical shin breaking technique?

Chris was smart to recognize Anderson can throw hard low kicks so he made a mental note to be wary of them and check them like any smart fighter would. He wants to make them hurt Anderson so he wouldn't throw them as much since they are devastating, again like any smart fighter should be doing. However, planning to break his shin in half is NOT what happened, sure you can have the mentality "I'm gonna check him so hard like i'm gonna break his leg" but that isn't what you're actually doing, you're just making them hurt for kicking you. Breaking your shin in half rarely ever happens and if it was an actual technique it would happen in kickboxing and muay thai fights on a daily basis.

Dude, nobody has made the claim that he intentionally broke his fucking leg, what are you on about?

Tell me about it.

I can honestly say that I have never been more bothered and disgusted by posting on Sherdog. I like Weidman, I think he is a great guy and champion so it's not like I want him to lose or hate him.. but all this discussion about a shin break being on purpose has gone to show me how truly uneducated this forum is and proves that literally maybe 5% of this forum has even stepped foot into a striking gym. Checking with a knee hurts your opponent sometimes ya, it happens by accident in training all the time. You go to check a kick but don't get your leg up fast enough, guess what? It hits your knee sometimes that is just reality. "Checking kicks" is not a game plan, it is HOW YOU BLOCK A KICK. A professional fighter shouldn't have to gameplan blocking a strike, that is like saying "My game plan is to block getting punched in the face", no it is not a game plan it is an expectation of any fighter.

I like Chris and am happy to see him be the champion, but claiming he broke his shin on purpose is literally the dumbest thing I have ever read here, let alone from someone who writes articles like Jack Slack who I usually respect. There is such a thing as hard blocking where you purposely try to hit their shin when you check my leaning hard into it to make them pay for their kick, I have done that in fights to guys who like to Low kick a lot, but you aren't do it with the intention of breaking their shin in half, that is just a crock of shit, you can't plan for that.

Jesus Christ people.

Fucking finally someone who knows what the fuck he is talking about, this forum made it look like Weidman discovered some long lost mythical technique that no one else in the world is capable of reproducing....Just to make it clear,i was cheering for Weidman in both fights, but that doesn't make me blind to reality...

This article makes me think that Silva lost both fights the same way, carelessness.

Weidman deserves both wins, Silva sometimes has a problem respecting his opponents in the cage, and payed for it twice.

Don't clown around against guys with heavy hands, and don't throw leg kicks without proper set ups.

Weidman is the physically inferior striker, but what matters is the mental and strategic aspect of the game.

Tell me about it.

I can honestly say that I have never been more bothered and disgusted by posting on Sherdog. I like Weidman, I think he is a great guy and champion so it's not like I want him to lose or hate him.. but all this discussion about a shin break being on purpose has gone to show me how truly uneducated this forum is and proves that literally maybe 5% of this forum has even stepped foot into a striking gym. Checking with a knee hurts your opponent sometimes ya, it happens by accident in training all the time. You go to check a kick but don't get your leg up fast enough, guess what? It hits your knee sometimes that is just reality. "Checking kicks" is not a game plan, it is HOW YOU BLOCK A KICK. A professional fighter shouldn't have to gameplan blocking a strike, that is like saying "My game plan is to block getting punched in the face", no it is not a game plan it is an expectation of any fighter.

I like Chris and am happy to see him be the champion, but claiming he broke his shin on purpose is literally the dumbest thing I have ever read here, let alone from someone who writes articles like Jack Slack who I usually respect. There is such a thing as hard blocking where you purposely try to hit their shin when you check my leaning hard into it to make them pay for their kick, I have done that in fights to guys who like to Low kick a lot, but you aren't do it with the intention of breaking their shin in half, that is just a crock of shit, you can't plan for that.

Jesus Christ people.

You are not very good with this whole mysterious "reading" thing, are you?

thank you.

You sir are welcome.

Dude, nobody has made the claim that he intentionally broke his fucking leg, what are you on about?

Are you kidding me? Have you been reading the forum!!??? People are going as far as asking if this "technique" is dirty and claiming that the game plan was to break his leg by checking with the knee.

Fucking finally someone who knows what the fuck he is talking about, this forum made it look like Weidman discovered some long lost mythical technique that no one else in the world is capable of reproducing....Just to make it clear,i was cheering for Weidman in both fights, but that doesn't make me blind to reality...

Exactly! It is nice to know I have found atleast 2 posters here who aren't complete and utter morons. Everyone here is apparently a sofa blackbelt.

People are, in fact, "insinuating" it.
Not many have the balls to come out and just say it, but when someone says that the break was a freak accident, people chime right in and say "No it wasn't, he was TRAINING to hurt Silva with those leg checks!" and "Didn't you see the post fight interview where he said himself that he was training to hurt Silva with those leg checks and Ray Longo had broken a guys shin with one before!?!?!?!".

So yes,.. people are making that claim.

Again, since you're clearly an idiot. I am not referring to the article about checking kicks and setting low kicks up. I am referring to posters claiming about how this was on purpose and this "destruction" technique was part of the Longo camp.

People are, in fact, "insinuating" it.
Not many have the balls to come out and just say it, but when someone says that the break was a freak accident, people chime right in and say "No it wasn't, he was TRAINING to hurt Silva with those leg checks!" and "Didn't you see the post fight interview where he said himself that he was training to hurt Silva with those leg checks and Ray Longo had broken a guys shin with one before!?!?!?!".

So yes,.. people are making that claim.

Exactly, the words coming from the Longo team is how Longo had broken a guys shin before with it which is completely insinuating and practically outright saying that this result was planned. It is a joke.

It's my job =P

Sorry I haven't got round to that Alves article you messaged me for btw. Hope he gets back in action soon.

im not an expect on this, but do clean breaks like what happened to anderson only happen when their is existing hairline fractures?

Popping in with insults again,.. when someone presents evidence you don't like.

Yeah boy, you are impressing all of us.

No I understand that and I am agreeing 100% that he didn't just check the kick to lessen impact that he tried to hurt Anderson with the check (something that is not new at all and many fighters including myself have done it). I am arguing against the sherdog posters who are claiming the shin break was on purpose and have gone as far as to claim it is a dirty technique.

oh ok, sorry my bad

oh ok, sorry my bad

Np dude, people are getting heated with the topic, sometimes misunderstandings can squeeze in. I have just had enough of reading this, usually I won't bother arguing with the trolls and keyboard warriors but listening to this over and over everytime I come to Sherdog has made me want to break my own fucking leg.

Tell me about it.

Jesus Christ people.

Amen

Great leg check, but the break was random

Checking a kick is no different then putting someone in an arm bar and trying to break their arm. The purpose of a check kick is for a break or severe pain. It's MMA....no one has good intentions.

Are you kidding me? Have you been reading the forum!!??? People are going as far as asking if this "technique" is dirty and claiming that the game plan was to break his leg by checking with the knee.

Apparently more than you have. I know exactly who you're talking about and even that jackass said breakages from checking with the knee are uncommon.

Really good article and makes a lot of sense.

Setting up your kicks seems to be important.

im not an expect on this, but do clean breaks like what happened to anderson only happen when their is existing hairline fractures?

I would say that fresh fractures help, but no, it can happen to anyone.

I am pretty sure you know the following, but I am just going to say it anyways, these fractures when healed, make your bones stronger.

Nice write-up.....but I don't think that Silva was being careless about the kick.

I remember him feinting kicks right at the start to see if Chris would bite and then he threw a couple that Chris did not block fully....so, he upped the ante a bit, but Chris was ready for it.

I suspect that MMA fighters throw less of the hands-legs combination because of the threat of the take-down. Nevertheless, Silva's great attribute was always counter striking with accuracy and creativity, he was not as great at setting up an offense.

He looked serious about the fight, looked like he was trying to avoid being taken down and find holes in Chris's standup....to that point in the fight, he had yet to find one.

Back