Jack Slack article on Anderson Silva leg break

The picture and gif of Silva's broking leg aren't necessary damn it.

Great article , Very Informative .

I'm training for some More Amateur/Semi Pro fights later in 2014 , I'll for sure practice Checking a LOT more then I used to. Also probably will only Throw Leg Kicks after Combinations as opposed to before where I used to Use the outside Or Inside leg kick as A lead sometimes.

Obviously I don't expect Amatuer / semi Pro fighters to check like the Legend Weidman did but you never know .

That injury was brutal .

Great Article TS respect for posting !!

That fact that he shows BOTH gifs of Chris checking the kicks, proves that the end result of the fight was, in fact a "fluke".

The point where the legs meet is random and you can't really plan for it.
You are hardly even thinking about it. You are just trying to check properly and counter.

Chris got lucky and the legs met in his favor.

Did he intend to break Silva's leg? NO.

His intention was to block the kick, take as little damage as possible and counter. You can even see his "oh shit" face when the kick is launched.

Is the win legitimate?
ABSOLUTELY.

This should put fighters on notice about low kicks and proper checking technique.

Great article. All the excuse-makers talking about the Silva leg break being an accident as if Weidman was just lucky need to take note of it.

I've been posting similar things since the fight. They all claim everyone checks kicks and this was only the second time a break like that ever happened in the UFC so it must be accidental. BS. Checking kicks is and has been very under-utilized in MMA. It's much more common to see fighters ignore checking and acting like they don't hurt and they can just fight through them.

In this case, Silva didn't set it up and threw it with great velocity. Weidman checked it perfectly and it snapped his leg. As Jack says in the article, there was nothing accidental about it. It was unfortunate that it hurt Silva to that extent but hardly an accident.

I expect other fighters to take note of this and train more on checking kicks. Especially against guys like Aldo, Barao and Barboza, just to name three great kickers.

Connor McGregor said it best on twitter after the fight: Fighting opposite stance opponents and throwing that rear leg kick is always a risky shot. The knee is always in play. Horrible to see.

That fact that he shows BOTH gifs of Chris checking the kicks, proves that the end result of the fight was, in fact a "fluke".

The fact that's what you got out of that article says a lot about your level of intelligence.

Very good read. I feel much better educated on the subject.

The point where the legs meet is random and you can't really plan for it.
You are hardly even thinking about it. You are just trying to check properly and counter.

Chris got lucky and the legs met in his favor.

Did he intend to break Silva's leg? NO.

His intention was to block the kick, take as little damage as possible and counter. You can even see his "oh shit" face when the kick is launched.

Is the win legitimate?
ABSOLUTELY.

This should put fighters on notice about low kicks and proper checking technique.

You are retarded. This is a technique that Paul Vunak, Longo's old coach, has been teaching for decades on end. You are using your knee to block the kick, not a random part. Whether it ends up making contact with the lower or middle part of it doesn't make a difference, it's an offensive counter meant to make the kicker pay for his attempt. With luck, stop him. This is spelled out in the article, but apparently sherdoggers can't read.

lol yeah no shit, that's what your training is for, so you don't have to overthink and overanaylze every move you or your opponent makes in a fight, you do it automatically like you are trained to do, like Weidman did.

Anderson fan here, but I agree with him.
Weidman improved his kick defense before the second fight, Anderson didn't set up the kick.
Weidman evolved, Anderson did not..
I wish Anderson had used more high kicks...

there's a similar article breaking down chris weidman's perfect ko of munoz. most ppl think these things just happen, but weidman has really high fight iq. unfortunately, even with huge articles explaining the intricacies of his strategies/counters, 99% of fans won't ever take the effort to give more credit to weidman.

people are ridiculous. if i 1shot my friend in a video game with a perfectly timed block, i would get more credit from my friends than weidman doing it in real life to the greatest ufc legend of all time. everyone at work thinks weidman won TWO flukes lmao.

Great read, thanks TS!

In the first fight, Silva got sloppy with his movement and stood with parallel legs and hands down, leaving himself wide open.

In the second fight, Silva was baited in to throwing low kicks to which Weidman was prepared to defend. Silva threw those low kicks with reckless abandon and no setup.

In both fights Silva underestimated Weidman and demonstrated sloppy technique. In both fights he paid dearly. No one wants to see a legend go out that way, but how can there be any doubt as to who the superior fighter is?

Silva once said he wanted to fight his clone. If that ever happened, the winner would be the one who does not underestimate the other.

You are retarded. This is a technique that Paul Vunak, Longo's old coach, has been teaching for decades on end. You are using your knee to block the kick, not a random part. Whether it ends up making contact with the lower or middle part of it doesn't make a difference, it's an offensive counter meant to make the kicker pay for his attempt. With luck, stop him. This is spelled out in the article, but apparently sherdoggers can't read.

So,.. how often has that worked for Mr. Vunak?

With your insults, I hope to God you have at least 30 examples of him breaking legs with his "technique".

This shouldn't be too much to ask,.. since he has been teaching it "for decades on end".

there's a similar article breaking down chris weidman's perfect ko of munoz. most ppl think these things just happen, but weidman has really high fight iq. unfortunately, even with huge articles explaining the intricacies of his strategies/counters, 99% of fans won't ever take the effort to give more credit to weidman.

people are ridiculous. if i 1shot my friend in a video game with a perfectly timed block, i would get more credit from my friends than weidman doing it in real life to the greatest ufc legend of all time. everyone at work thinks weidman won TWO flukes lmao.

The difference is, that KO on Munoz was perfect.
His intention was to KO him and he set it up perfectly.

I can reconstruct a car accident,.. tell you all of the intricacies of what each driver was doing, down to the angle of their wrist and the steering technique they used, how they use that technique every day.

It is still an accident.

Back