Is McGregor genetically unable to increase his stamina?

We have this 62 year old lady at work that runs marathons. She isn't some genetic freak, but just dedicated.

Conor needs to run, run and run to improve his cardio. No freaking rowing or walking underwater or some other stuff which does not translate well to boxing/mma. He is too busy being experimental instead of being practical.
This.
Conor also puts a lot of torque in all of his punches. If his opponent don't go down, that energy is absorbed back, like punching a heavy bag.
His timing is already great, just needs to throw his combos at less speed a la Bisping & Diaz brothers. What Conor did vs Alvarez was picture perfect.
He's not a Miguel Cotto that can throw 90-100% power on all his punches for 12 rounds.

Isn't the word that he's knees are knackered and he can't do proper road work. Just rides a bike (not that kind of bike)

Stamina is a training thing. Conor could do with changing up his team to get some new aspects to his game and increase his stamina.

I am no scientist, but I am pretty sure genetics can be related to cardio. Bisping was sait by Rogan to have an extremely low heart beat rate. Of course training cardio helped him to get there, but assuming Conor had the same training dedication, he would not be able to acheive a heart beat rate as low as Bisping's IMO. Same goes for a motivated BJ!

My guess is it is the training he does. His stupid movement sessions that he thinks sets him apart is most likely the problem. To much movement sessions and not enough real cardio work.

He doesn't evan really have that great of footwork in fights as he claims.

Plenty of fighters have bad knees and don't run. I trained with guys who never ran due to knee problems (other than warm ups) and can go 5 rounds easily. There's elite guys in the UFC who probably don't run much. Its not like that's the be all and end all of cardio. The only cardio that running every day will increase is your running cardio. There's a shitload of reasons not to excessively run as a pro athlete whose sport doesn't require running at all.
His running cardio is fine

What do you think? It's one infamous thing about Conor. He was dominating Diaz until he started gassing. He was doing well against Floyd, until he started gassing. Do you think, however he trains, this stamina problem of him will never be solved?
Training may increase VO2 max in some people, and will never improve it in others.

Like cain, some dudes are just born with it

Michael Bisping = armchair strength and conditioning expert sherdogger lol

How many one hit KOs does Bisping have? One. And it's that one punch that got him to where he is. He's a volume striker who doesn't sit on his strikes. The complete opposite to Conor. Who's had the better finishing average? Who has the better wins for their division?

Also, has Bisping ever had knee surgery? No.

I need an L5/S1 disc fusion in my spine, and I know for a fact that dead lifting and clean and jerks helped my wrestling strength before my injury. But am I going to do them knowing I'll injure myself beyond repair? No.

Again, armchair experts thinking they know better than professional athletes. Do you think Shogun is running 5 miles a day? What about Cruz?

Just ignorant Bisping telling others what they should be doing because he thinks what he's doing must obviously work for every other athlete on the planet, regardless of previous injuries.

When you look at how Conor reacts to being tired compared to boxers, its hilarious. This guy said it best

17:20

No, never. He can't improve his chin either, another fragile spot. Nobody gets finished by a manlet who weighs 20lbs less than you who never finishes fights unless you got a glass jaw.
...unless exhausted and eating punches so the ref intervenes?

Yes he is

He will never have great stamina

I think how he fights; explosive, he will never have gsp or diaz type cardio...but he can most definitely improve it...he can get his cardio to the point of being able to go 5 rounds, without totally gassing out...even if he can get to 4 rounds, and have decent cardio left, he'll be fine...

Last edited:
We have this 62 year old lady at work that runs marathons. She isn't some genetic freak, but just dedicated.

Conor needs to run, run and run to improve his cardio. No freaking rowing or walking underwater or some other stuff which does not translate well to boxing/mma. He is too busy being experimental instead of being practical.

Running a marathon is definitely a great feat...but the lady you speak of, probably runs very very slow and just paces herself...so yes, she will be able to run it, with lots of practice...but going all out in a fight is totally different.

No, never. He can't improve his chin either, another fragile spot. Nobody gets finished by a manlet who weighs 20lbs less than you who never finishes fights unless you got a glass jaw.

Don't confuse being gassed with being hurt from a punch...

He's just a lazy fuck
Incorrect. I talked with a man who used to train with Conor at SBG, MMA fighter Luka Jelčić, he told me that Conor is one of the hardest working guys and trains twice a day seven days in a week. The guy is totally obsessed and nonstop working.
He just need find out where is the problem and make his cardio compatible with his fighting style using proper routines.

He needs to chose muscles or cardio and he chooses muscles...

Muscles? It's not like the guys is a jacked 230lbs guy...he's 175lbs...that's not anything to brag about...maybe to you it is...guys that have never set foot in a gym in their lives...but conor is a rather small thin dude...

Gassing Vs Nate Diaz at that kind of pace? Expected. It's Nate Diaz. Gassing in a boxing match with that kind of pace? Expected. He's not a boxer.

For me, there are two parts to look at.

First, Max Holloway. Conor fought Max Holloway at his typical style. He didn't gas what so ever, even had plenty of grappling exchanges and takedowns in there. Didn't gas at all.

Second, Chad Mendes. While he still finished it comfortably, Conor looked very tired after getting to his feet in the second round, despite easily staying in full guard and not having to work tonnes off of his back.

These throw it up in the air for me. I feel that the Conor that faced Eddie Alvarez would have easily went the distance at that pace had he kept it standing. But when the pace is slightly out of his wheelhouse, in that he gets taken down or pushed back, I think he loses it quickly. Honestly outside of HWs I've never seen a fighter as tired as Conor against Mayweather. I think he just absolutely turns the gas tank upside down and goes for it. Maybe that's how he has a bit of success, but really I could see that strategy going against him if he fights someone with enough footwork to run away from him and frustrate him. That being said, that level of footwork against someone with the forward pressure of Conor is a massive rarity.

I think DJ would give Conor a good fight tbh. Cruz is too hittable though.

Hed lose a lot of muscle doing that.

Genetics play a huge role, you can only get so far with training. Cardio also has to do with fight style. He uses a lot of power when throwing so it takes more energy. Take genetics + fight style + muscle size + working out = cardio outcome. Diaz bros are not explosive so they use less energy.

genetics has zero to do with it...if you train for it, it will improve...the diaz' have great cardio, cause of how they train and how they fight...it's not genetics...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back